River Bottoms

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JaredG8737

River Bottoms

Unread postby JaredG8737 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:19 am

Does anyone have any experience with hunting river bottoms? I live in West Tennessee along the Mississippi River where most of the public land is flat and spread out. I have scouted the area previously, however it seems that there is no method to the madness when it comes to hunting these massive amounts of land with no discernable terrain features. If anyone has any insight or helpful tips on where to begin and what to look for in these places it would be greatly appreciated.

ETNyates15

Re: River Bottoms

Unread postby ETNyates15 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Jared,

I also hunt TN, mainly East and Middle but have been pretty far west (Dyer Co). Basically all the info you need is in the Best Tactical Threads in the Deer Hunting Forum. For vast pieces like those old rivers bottoms deer will typically use a lot of transitions. Look especially for where they are using river bottom crossings and start following some trails back through the woods for scouting. You can usually end up getting on some hot sign and hunt there. Be aware of the wind and thermals though as though rivers bottoms are typically in wind shift zones.
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: River Bottoms

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:53 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”