Dog Recovery...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigburner

Re: Dog Recovery...

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 am

I had a GSP for many years that tracked and bloodtrailed. She found a ton of deer and some really great bucks for some folks that would have been lost otherwise. Suck not having here anymore. But on the positive. The girl who works for me has a beagle that she is training to track and bloodtrail. He's not even a year but so far since the season started here he has 3 whitetails and a Sika deer under his belt. Its all on leash tracking and so far the little guy really has a nose for it. She got into a network for tracking dogs and has gotten several calls a week. Nice part is the service is free. She just excepts tips.
Some jobs aren't worth following up on based on the scenario she is given from the hunter. Once people start stomping around in a lot of circumstances its really difficult for the dog if the person doesn't have enough sense to know when to say when and back out. So it can be circumstantial. But if any body is in Delmarva and needs a dog let me know.
Dogs are worth their weight in gold when it comes to that stuff and never understood why a state would make it illegal. Some stupid rules that some legislators put in place that have never stepped foot in the woods.

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:29 am

I have a good friend (UP Bownut) that trains tracking dogs. He and his bride are really into it. It used to be if there was any rain in the forecast, I sat at home. Having access to a great tracking dog is a game changer. Shot a doe a couple years ago, a little too far back, snow was melting fast. By the time a few hours passed and I could take up the trail all visible sign was obliterated. Their little dog found that deer 200 yards away in about 10 minutes. They stay very busy during the season! 8-)
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:21 pm

headgear wrote:
gjs4 wrote:I got my license to do it here in NY. Total PIA process, exam, tons of paperwork and fees.. dog has to be leashed, proof of property ownership, each sortie is called in..but can carry a gun for dispatch.

I shot my biggest buck last year and a had a buddy bring his dog to help us w a relatively bloodless hit ( arrow lodged in the deer). Was so thankful.

What a pain, why now just allow it and that is that, hate it when stupid people make laws they know nothing about.

The irony is John Jeanenny (sp) who started the whole dog track thing is from here in NY. That darn license is 85$ for 5 yrs and I am supposed to provide detailed annual reports on top the Pres earth calls and record keeping. They also strongly suggest you're a member of a tracking org and basically there is only one for the state. They're big on exhibitions, contetets, fund raising and most are way more into their dogs than deer. Total chit show.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:03 am

gjs4 wrote:
headgear wrote:
gjs4 wrote:I got my license to do it here in NY. Total PIA process, exam, tons of paperwork and fees.. dog has to be leashed, proof of property ownership, each sortie is called in..but can carry a gun for dispatch.

I shot my biggest buck last year and a had a buddy bring his dog to help us w a relatively bloodless hit ( arrow lodged in the deer). Was so thankful.

What a pain, why now just allow it and that is that, hate it when stupid people make laws they know nothing about.

The irony is John Jeanenny (sp) who started the whole dog track thing is from here in NY. That darn license is 85$ for 5 yrs and I am supposed to provide detailed annual reports on top the Pres earth calls and record keeping. They also strongly suggest you're a member of a tracking org and basically there is only one for the state. They're big on exhibitions, contetets, fund raising and most are way more into their dogs than deer. Total chit show.

It's very interesting to see all the different regulations out there.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:40 pm

Just thought I'd share this update from yesterday since i think it helps prove the point. Dad shot a buck mid afternoon and my brother filmed it on his phone (not great quality). After reviewing they thought the shot was good. Took up the trail and jumped the buck. After going back a second time the great blood trail quickly dried up. Called in a dog and was sitting behind his buck within a half hour. Dad admitted they likely wouldn't have found the deer without the dog. Also shows that you need to give deer more time if you're not positive about the hit or see them fall but it's hard to convince someone who's 66 but turns into a 10 year old excited kid that we need to wait longer. :lol: point being i think tracking dogs are a great asset.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:29 am

We had family pet years ago, a Jack Russell Terrier mutt mix. Zero training on deer recovery but she would freak out when I brought a deer home. I shot a buck one evening at last light and it ran into a thicket. I went to the house and got little Rose; she was funny because she loved to ride on a 4 wheeler with me. She would perch herself on the front rack. Well I took her to the first spot of blood and she ran right to the dead buck. She got hit by a car later that year; dang it!
Deer dogs are great unless its a beagle while rabbit hunting.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:34 am

I used one this year...100% will use them again. Except, they cannot charge. So a "generous tip" is hinted around at. Its very odd they cannot charge.

The key really is to find a GOOD reliable tracking dog with experience.
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:39 am

My first bow buck many years ago. Gut shot no blood. My brother brought his Springer over. Zero training, he went right to it.
Being color blind is such a disadvantage to tracking. I need to be right on it and than need bright red blood.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 am

gjs4 wrote:
headgear wrote:

Can you use your dog for your own personal use or do you need to get licensed for that too? I was thinking of training my Chocolate Lab to trail deer just for my own personal use. I shot a big 10 on November 6th and called the guy closest to me to come out with the dogs....he never called back. I had blood for about 300 yards and it just stopped. I'm not sure where I hit him. Arrow hit a branch. It looked like it may have been low.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:20 am

Mathewshooter wrote:
gjs4 wrote:
headgear wrote:

Can you use your dog for your own personal use or do you need to get licensed for that too? I was thinking of training my Chocolate Lab to trail deer just for my own personal use. I shot a big 10 on November 6th and called the guy closest to me to come out with the dogs....he never called back. I had blood for about 300 yards and it just stopped. I'm not sure where I hit him. Arrow hit a branch. It looked like it may have been low.

In NY you need to be licensed and are strongly urged, by both the state and the only real club, to be part of a tracking organization. Dog needs to be listed with the Usda and be on a lead at all times, each sortie has to be called in prior, rules reviewed with the hunter/landowner....

Long story short- save a few deer legs, a big chunk of hide and all of the deer bloood you can get. Read the newest John Jeanenny tracking dog book and go to town. IF your dog does good at practice and game time...go down the road of licensing and formal tracking. I personally think it’s ridiculous what’s necessary but then again they’re laws and if not in place others would use running dogs and hide behind it. Pm me with any questions or concerns
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:23 am

For the record- MOST of the DS people here are more into finding a lot of deer than anything else. Lots of dog bragging stuff. This time of year they’re so busy be glad if you get a call next week.

All breeds and temperaments work differently. I also have some labs and they’ll wind rather than track. Easy to over run, get confused or tripped up with a lousy hit or conditions.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”