Dog Recovery...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Dog Recovery...

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 am

It's not legal everywhere and some people are against it, but I get a kick out of the dogs that recover deer. Yesterday a girl was hunting the Michigan youth hunt and shot a buck. Unfortunately they couldn't locate it, I'm sure for a number of reasons. They brought in "Sparky", a little white dog that made deer recovery #76 ! That's a lot of saved venison, like it or not.

In the 1970's I was a very young hunter and I blazed every legal deer I could. I had a female lab / shepherd mix that recovered several deer for me ( I almost always hunted alone). The best part was she'd start barking when she found my buck... an awesome dog.

Dewey

Re: Dog Recovery...

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:45 am

Cannot for the life of me understand why anybody would be against it. Anytime an animal is recovered it's great for everyone and especially great for the sport.
SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:17 am

Someday I think I might get a dog and train it to recover deer. I have some level of color blindness and it is extremely hard for me to see blood on the ground and trail deer. Usually I either have to see it fall or get someone to help track if there is no snow. But as mentioned I don't know why anyone would be against it seeing as though it prevents the deer going to waste.
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:11 am

I have been training my dog for a few years now....it's a lot of hoops to jump through to get your nys dog recovery lisence so I just keep deer parts and have fun with her in off season.. if you know smart dogs ...you have to keep their mind busy and sharp. She is a lab doberman mix her skills are less then stealth but she can usually find the treat at the end. It's a great time spent with my dog
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:29 am

Me and some of my friends have used dogs to recover deer what an eye opener! The dogs are great I think the biggest thing is to know when to call the dog, if you body search after losing blood it can make it really difficult on the dog.
Earn what’s never given.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:30 pm

My son and I are training a lab now to bloodtrail deer. It's a lot of fun and our dog is pretty smart. He teaches us a lot.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 pm

I have been training my lab, looking forward to getting him on his first real track. I feel he's doing great, a lot of fun training him so far.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Canada this spring...it was one of the coolest experiences I have been part of yet to watch that little dog work.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:54 am

I got my license to do it here in NY. Total PIA process, exam, tons of paperwork and fees.. dog has to be leashed, proof of property ownership, each sortie is called in..but can carry a gun for dispatch.

I shot my biggest buck last year and a had a buddy bring his dog to help us w a relatively bloodless hit ( arrow lodged in the deer). Was so thankful.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:30 am

A good blood dog is PRICELESS...it's usually on the big boys that they're needed on and at that point, I and just about anybody else would do whatever it took to recover the buck of a lifetime!

I grew up in the south, and live in an area where running deer with dogs is still legal, but it's being slowly phased out. It's a dying sport for sure, but there's nothing like a hound pushing a hot track in the timber!
JMax1978

Unread postby JMax1978 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 am

Someday the state of PA will get their head out of their tails on this matter. I hope.
Rancher43

Unread postby Rancher43 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:43 am

My 5 month old lab is in training now to blood trail. Before I sent her to training she was doing great with me but then I ran out of blood so I let the trainer take over. I get her back just in time for our bow opener sept 30th.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:32 pm

I never thought about that. What a cool idea. I can't imagine why anyone would be against it.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:50 pm

gjs4 wrote:I got my license to do it here in NY. Total PIA process, exam, tons of paperwork and fees.. dog has to be leashed, proof of property ownership, each sortie is called in..but can carry a gun for dispatch.

I shot my biggest buck last year and a had a buddy bring his dog to help us w a relatively bloodless hit ( arrow lodged in the deer). Was so thankful.

What a pain, why now just allow it and that is that, hate it when stupid people make laws they know nothing about.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:21 pm

A friend of mine had a dog that could recover deer never trained it but that dog saved the day a few times for us.. I think it's a great tool hate to have a deer go to waste

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”