Going in blind and Getting out Easily

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Going in blind and Getting out Easily

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:29 pm

What helps me is I always follow some type of terrain feature eithier ditch, ridge or even fence lines. Another big help is my properties prob average 50 acres, seems to keep me from getting to lost in the vast wilderness although can't say it's never happened :?

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
STIKnSTRING

Unread postby STIKnSTRING » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:11 am

Apps on your phone are great.......... if you have reception. I hunt a lot of places in northern Wisconsin that I don’t get service. I use a gps and a compass for backup. Iron fields can throw you for a loop with the compass. And don’t put an electronic anything near the compass while trying to read it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:38 am

STIKnSTRING wrote:Apps on your phone are great.......... if you have reception. I hunt a lot of places in northern Wisconsin that I don’t get service. I use a gps and a compass for backup. Iron fields can throw you for a loop with the compass. And don’t put an electronic anything near the compass while trying to read it.

I have a pair of Arctic Shield Glommits that have magnets in them when you flip back over your fingers. I got myself really turned around one day in the bigwoods years back until I eventually figured out the magnets were screwing my compass up. :doh:
Strenke629

Unread postby Strenke629 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:34 am

Waymore wrote:Don't know how you guys do it without a gps. I have a app and a small handheld. With the gps it's nice because mine uses 2 aa and easy to have backup. Still have small compass if all fail

Agree. I dont even try some spots without a gps. I don’t trust my phone cuz the reception isn’t reliable and it dies really fast in cold weather. Gps is perfect cuz it’s reliable and easy to change the batteries. Also the actual buttons are nice cuz in cold weather I always hated to take off a glove to use my phone.
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:07 am

Hi I finally bought a GPS Etrex 10 last February low end but works for less than $50 on ebay from a pawn shop

The more I think about it I should of hit all the pawn shops in my area instead I might of gotten it for even less
I would call up any pawn shops and see what is in inventory if you have any pawn shops around your area

Where I live I had some terrain I marked out on topo and Google Earth I wanted to know exactly what they looked like once I put boots on the ground

Two particular areas I spotted I kept walking by them until I started using and learning how to use my GPS
Those particular areas I was interested looked so much different when I finally found them using the GPS with great potential
I couldn't of found them without the GPS because of how the terrain looked on foot

Since then I've been marking spots and navigating directly to them for boots on ground inspections
Make sure to practice and know your GPS especially if your navigating in the dark and have a spare set of batteries with a compass as last resort
I always take a heading with my compass before heading into thick stuff before using my GPS in case I need to use it

Ed
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Garmin 650T - use lithium ion batteries with it and they will last a long time. I use mine all the time to navigate, mark sign, make waypoints to investigate when I’m armchair scouting, etc. I also bring a compass, though. If you aren’t moving fast enough a GPS can get you totally turned around! Cross a deep swamp that is slow going and the arrow will swing every which way! Best to set an azimuth on your compass in a situation like that and use the gps on the other side. They are a great resource but not bullet proof.

Google maps with satellite view turned on is sweet! Assuming you have decent cell coverage it’s about impossible to get lost with it.

Lee
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:28 pm

OnX will allow you to download maps for offline use, and you can use the app to run a track that will take you right back out. I can't say enough good things about OnX.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:38 am

Viewranger app allows you to do the same. Needs no cell service, works off phones gps.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:27 am

GPS > SmartPhone apps...

How many smartphones let you change the battery? What's your plan when the phone dies? This is where a handheld GPS really shines. Use the smartphone as a backup.

If you pay attention, you'll notice a trend. Those who have both the GPS and a smartphone app almost always prefer the GPS. Lots of advantages IMHO..

They're more reliable in determining your exact direction of travel. My GPS (Garmin 64S) has a magnetic compass. Any smartphone - nope. So with the smartphone, you have to cover some distance so it can see which direction you're traveling in.
The handheld GPS is purpose-built with an external antenna. They're much more precise than a smartphone and can get a GPS signal where smartphones struggle... Like under a thick canopy during the early season.
As mentioned - phone dies = you're lost. GPS dies - you change out the AA batteries and are back on your way.
Handheld GPS's let you install your own custom maps and data from Google Earth. This includes overlays you can export from Google earth that show the terrain at different times of year. OnX = nope. The overlay you get is what you get. No fall/winter overlays, too bad.
You can easily move data between Google Earth and the GPS. Waypoints, tracks, shapes, measurements, etc. Even map markups.
GPS is waterproof. Drop that iPhone into some swamp water and you're most likely out a G-note to replace it. Some phones are more water-resistant than others though.
Many GPS have provisions for a carabiner so you can clip to a belt loop or harness and go hands-free. Smartphone - you're losing one of your hands to have it during navigation.
I've dropped my Garmin from a tree (about 20 feet). It was fine. I wouldn't want to do that with an iPhone. You look at the screen the wrong way and it cracks...

I could probably go on... But you can guess which I prefer at this point I think. :)
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:41 am

Bio1 wrote:Garmin 650T - use lithium ion batteries with it and they will last a long time. I use mine all the time to navigate, mark sign, make waypoints to investigate when I’m armchair scouting, etc. I also bring a compass, though. If you aren’t moving fast enough a GPS can get you totally turned around! Cross a deep swamp that is slow going and the arrow will swing every which way! Best to set an azimuth on your compass in a situation like that and use the gps on the other side. They are a great resource but not bullet proof.

Google maps with satellite view turned on is sweet! Assuming you have decent cell coverage it’s about impossible to get lost with it.

Lee

This is not true of all GPS units. You're does not have a magnetic compass. That's why it behaves that way. If you got the 650ST you would not have that issue. The S in the model name means "sensors" like a magnetic compass that the GPS comes with. Smartphones also do not have a magnetic compass and so will behave the same way.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:07 am

I have hunted one or two really thick places...like so thick there is only one "path" through an impenetrable wall of brush. In the past, in this type of area, I have carried a small box of reflective tacks in my pocket. GPS is USUALLY accurate within a few yards, but that's not always good enough in these situations. I will use the tacks on the back sides of trees as I walk in, and then I can see them easily with a flash light and I just pull them on the way out.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:49 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:GPS > SmartPhone apps...

How many smartphones let you change the battery? What's your plan when the phone dies? This is where a handheld GPS really shines. Use the smartphone as a backup.

If you pay attention, you'll notice a trend. Those who have both the GPS and a smartphone app almost always prefer the GPS. Lots of advantages IMHO..

They're more reliable in determining your exact direction of travel. My GPS (Garmin 64S) has a magnetic compass. Any smartphone - nope. So with the smartphone, you have to cover some distance so it can see which direction you're traveling in.
The handheld GPS is purpose-built with an external antenna. They're much more precise than a smartphone and can get a GPS signal where smartphones struggle... Like under a thick canopy during the early season.
As mentioned - phone dies = you're lost. GPS dies - you change out the AA batteries and are back on your way.
Handheld GPS's let you install your own custom maps and data from Google Earth. This includes overlays you can export from Google earth that show the terrain at different times of year. OnX = nope. The overlay you get is what you get. No fall/winter overlays, too bad.
You can easily move data between Google Earth and the GPS. Waypoints, tracks, shapes, measurements, etc. Even map markups.
GPS is waterproof. Drop that iPhone into some swamp water and you're most likely out a G-note to replace it. Some phones are more water-resistant than others though.
Many GPS have provisions for a carabiner so you can clip to a belt loop or harness and go hands-free. Smartphone - you're losing one of your hands to have it during navigation.
I've dropped my Garmin from a tree (about 20 feet). It was fine. I wouldn't want to do that with an iPhone. You look at the screen the wrong way and it cracks...

I could probably go on... But you can guess which I prefer at this point I think. :)

I have a small battery pack I carry when I'm going way back. Six inch cord. I can run my phone for five days on it.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:52 am

DhD wrote:

I have a small battery pack I carry when I'm going way back. Six inch cord. I can run my phone for five days on it. I also have a water proof lanyard case to hang it around my neck and still use the screen, thru the case. I don't know which iPhone you are using but my Google pixel 3 gps is very accurate.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:55 am

DhD wrote:
DhD wrote:

I have a small battery pack I carry when I'm going way back. Six inch cord. I can run my phone for five days on it. I also have a water proof lanyard case to hang it around my neck and still use the screen, thru the case. I don't know which iPhone you are using but my Google pixel 3 gps is very accurate. I can also pull up Google maps, weather, Google Earth, etc.. If you take the time to rig up a smartphone the right way it will do the job, without a second tool. If I need a backup I get out my compass. To each there own, but my phone does everything I need and more.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:35 pm

DhD wrote:
DhD wrote:

I have a small battery pack I carry when I'm going way back. Six inch cord. I can run my phone for five days on it. I also have a water proof lanyard case to hang it around my neck and still use the screen, thru the case. I don't know which iPhone you are using but my Google pixel 3 gps is very accurate.

Run with what you like. I don’t mean to imply a phone will not work. I have a Galaxy S10+. It’s a nice phone. Sometimes I use it while hunting. The satellite view is nice to have sometimes and the screen resolution is a lot better. But having used both I prefer the gps. YMMV. IMHO it’s better in a hunting specific use case. But a phone will do the job if it’s what ya got. Like you also indicated you need to accessorize it a bit to make it about as functional as an out of the box middle of the road Garmin and to keep it running all day. But it can and will do the job.
I’ve never had my gps ever give me a headache of any kind. But my phone would be my back up if it ever did.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”