Going in blind and Getting out Easily

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clink

Going in blind and Getting out Easily

Unread postby Clink » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:40 am

Any good suggestions for navigating through the swamp/marsh/woods after going in blind for an evening sit? Seems like everywhere I hunt is so thick that finding a set of landmarks on the way in isnt always easy do. It all looks the same in the dark.

I don't mind long treks in the dark but it stresses me out just aimlessly following a compass heading only to end up taking a really inefficient route and eating up time set aside for other things besides hunting. Some places are so thick that taking the deer trails is the only way in/out and in the dark its not hard to end up doing cirlces.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Going in blind and Getting out Easily

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:51 am

Sounds like you need a GPS.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:58 am

I agree. Either a GPS or smart phone and google maps. Mornings going in blind are tough no matter what.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:59 am

Stanley wrote:Sounds like you need a GPS.

I need to get me one of those too! I have an old one, and never really got the hang of how to work it. How do you create the path you walk in on, then follow it going out??? Maybe the newer ones are easier to work?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:07 am

Clink is right, new areas can be tough in the dark. I want to buy a gps for this exact reason. I'm researching brands and models now. Any good tips for guys like us until then?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:11 am

tgreeno wrote:
Stanley wrote:Sounds like you need a GPS.

I need to get me one of those too! I have an old one, and never really got the hang of how to work it. How do you create the path you walk in on, then follow it going out??? Maybe the newer ones are easier to work?

They automatically track your path then zoom in and follow the same exact path out. Many apps do the same now as well. Scoutlook just added this feature.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 am

Dewey wrote:They automatically track your path then zoom in and follow the same exact path out. Many apps do the same now as well. Scoutlook just added this feature.

I need this!!! I'm doing this stuff with my wits & a compass right now. In the dark swamp. I'm not very savvy on the smartphone either! I can't even put pics on here from the field.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 am

tgreeno wrote:
Dewey wrote:They automatically track your path then zoom in and follow the same exact path out. Many apps do the same now as well. Scoutlook just added this feature.

I need this!!! I'm doing this stuff with my wits & a compass right now. In the dark swamp. I'm not very savvy on the smartphone either! I can't even put pics on here from the field.

It helps a ton in marshes and swamps. Helps avoid getting into trouble by heading the wrong way into deep water areas and floating bogs. Sometimes it’s like a maze working thru that stuff. I also pull up an aerial on my phone to see exactly where I am. Helps me plan an easier route.
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:03 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

It helps a ton in marshes and swamps. Helps avoid getting into trouble by heading the wrong way into deep water areas and floating bogs. Sometimes it’s like a maze working thru that stuff. I also pull up an aerial on my phone to see exactly where I am. Helps me plan an easier route.

I'll be checking this out. The app i use when scouting to mark spots doesnt do this. Atleast not well.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:14 am

I went and scouted some flooded woods this past Saturday - used the GPS to mark every rub and pile of deer poo I found. Also marked 4 possible stand sites. Tomorrow at about 5:30-6:00 am, I will be using the GPS to go to one of those proposed stand sites. There are no trails, down trees and limbs everywhere, pond sized puddles, etc. I do use a pin on bubble compass too - just makes it easier to stay on track.

It is really cool how a handheld unit can place you within 10 feet of where you want to be - in the dark, foreboding FL swamp. I use it for fishing too.

If you get a GPS, you can't go wrong getting in and out - just be sure to have extra batteries.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:15 am

I like the challenge personally.
Maybe the metal plate in my head has magnetic north!...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:27 am

Don't be in a hurry, that's when you get in a pickle. You don't walk in a straight line in the thick crap mature bucks live in. You walk around the thickest stuff, and you take your time and carefully plot the path of least resistance. Circuitous routes are a necessity. I know because I've been there... stuck in rhododendron, mountain laurel, and jagger patches I thought I may die in. But you take a deep breath and figure out how to get out, then you figure out how to do it smarter next time. A GPS for general guidance and good headlamp help. All part of the fun in due time. Now pea soup fog, no help there, that crap is the devil.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:35 am

Gaia gps app.

Super user friendly.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 am

I use HuntStand. I have literally sat on my computer before a hunt, Drawn an access path, synched it to my phone and then followed it in the dark. I hate relying on technology in the woods, but when you're trying to avoid water/deep water, or cross water in certain spots, or make sure you don't step in certain areas, it sure can help.
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:02 am

Don't know how you guys do it without a gps. I have a app and a small handheld. With the gps it's nice because mine uses 2 aa and easy to have backup. Still have small compass if all fail

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”