Going in blind and Getting out Easily

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

Re: Going in blind and Getting out Easily

Unread postby fishlips » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:13 pm

GPS was a great way to boost my confidence to hunt spots I never would have before. Used to hunt in a cedar swamp and navigating that in the dark wasn't an option. for me without a gps.

Archery9069

Unread postby Archery9069 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:30 pm

I use the handheld garmin 64s . It's amazing how accurate it is and have Birdseye on it which helps a lot . But worth every penny
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:41 pm

It goes without saying but I will say it anyway. Using a GPS is nice but never totally rely on it. Always carry a compass and take a reading so you know how to get out if your GPS fails. I rarely use my GPS for navigating unless I am in a totally new area. The stuff I have been hunting for years I could literally find my way out blindfolded. It’s important to keep those woodsmanship skills sharp. Too many guys wander around with their face buried in a GPS and have no clue where they heck they are. If it died they would be completely lost.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Always try and have an exit plan, plus a backup exit plan. I have only used a compass and have been fine for years. Sometimes it just takes some practice. I also will take the long way out if it means I am able to get to a trail, road or follow transition lines and or some kind of topography. That first half hour is important, try and use what dim light is left to get somewhere familiar.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Everything public is new to me so every trip out of the woods has been “interesting” in the dark for me. I’m usually going out another way than when I came in and it’s so thick I don’t know if I could go the same way if I wanted to. I’ll sometimes mark some obvious reference points to keep my bearings but the compass is numero uno. I’ve also learned to use a stouter beam of headlamp in the dark to better penetrate all the leaf coverage. Should get better after all the leaves drop. I know I’m not gonna get lost so I never get panicked and if I wind up in the thick of crap I start looking for sign :lol:. My first trip out this year I found a good bedding area with lots of last years rut sign. I also found a field full of sandburs to never step foot on again lol. Main thing is be observant, never panic and use your compass but some form of gps is always nice to get a reference of where you are.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Most of my spot are new to me this year too. Most I can handle with just my light & compass. But with a few, I probably should have a GPS. Lost in a swamp, in the dark. Not a fun time! But whatever doesn't kill ya, makes you stronger!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
sir_tob

Unread postby sir_tob » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:02 am

I use a GPS; What i'm doing is not going in entirely blind at all.. I make a track with Google earth of old logging roads and sometimes fields to get there in the first place and I have key points that I'm choosing from aerials.. then go in blind the last however far is needed but with some sort of destination in mind (having never hunted it).. try to find the sweet spot on foot and use the wind the last hundred or so yards... sometimes I blow it and sometimes it goes right. But.. atleast I have a track back out and it might be an easier way back out than just raw woods.

hope that helps.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Slow and steady. GPS has gotten very accurate but not accurate enough to avoid every single thicket, especially in those creek bottoms or swamps. I keep a high powered mag light with me when things get real thick. Besides that take your time and enjoy the ride :lol:
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:23 pm

GPS: Garmin Oregon 650t. Also, have cellphone as backup but if you hunt remote areas cellphone may not connect. And I always carry a compass. Remember that when you get in a thick overhead canopy your GPS might not work as well (thus the compass).
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:33 pm

I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned clip on brite eyes.

I have three types that I carry when I think it's going to be difficult to get out. I have reflective twist ties, plastic clip on brite eyes and then clip on brite eye strips. As I make my way in, I clip or wrap the brite eyes to mark my trail. Real peace of mind to know I can follow out my exact route back out. I sit right until the last minute of legal shooting light without concern. As I leave, I collect them. I always count them too. If it takes 15 to get in, I should collect 15 to get out.

I also do what Headgear mentioned and if it won't negatively effect the hunt, I will go out of my way to take trails, roads, follow transitions or water, etc. Just helps a lot.

I also use a red headlamp which believe it or not allows you to see better in the dark. Why? Because a white light is bright but gives you tunnel vision. With the red light I can catch my reflectors, but I can also see the terrain. My night vision isn't effected like it is when using a white or even green light. With the white light, all I can see is where the light is pointed. With the red, I see everything.

I only ever used a GPS when I hunted Idaho, but even then mostly used a map and compass. I'm not a big user of technology.

I'm typing this, so this method hasn't stranded me for dead in a swamp yet. lol
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Matty wrote:I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned clip on brite eyes.

I have three types that I carry when I think it's going to be difficult to get out. I have reflective twist ties, plastic clip on brite eyes and then clip on brite eye strips. As I make my way in, I clip or wrap the brite eyes to mark my trail. Real peace of mind to know I can follow out my exact route back out. I sit right until the last minute of legal shooting light without concern. As I leave, I collect them. I always count them too. If it takes 15 to get in, I should collect 15 to get out.

I also do what Headgear mentioned and if it won't negatively effect the hunt, I will go out of my way to take trails, roads, follow transitions or water, etc. Just helps a lot.

I also use a red headlamp which believe it or not allows you to see better in the dark. Why? Because a white light is bright but gives you tunnel vision. With the red light I can catch my reflectors, but I can also see the terrain. My night vision isn't effected like it is when using a white or even green light. With the white light, all I can see is where the light is pointed. With the red, I see everything.

I only ever used a GPS when I hunted Idaho, but even then mostly used a map and compass. I'm not a big user of technology.

I'm typing this, so this method hasn't stranded me for dead in a swamp yet. lol

I carry the brown reflective clip on markers as well....just don't use them as much as I should though.
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:50 am

I also use huntstand. The mobile app has a "trace" button that will drop pins as you go out and make a trail. Then I follow it on my way back. I have also used my laptop to plot a course but that usually changes. With the "trace" on your phone you can adjust your path accordingly to avoid any pains on the way back. I used to carry my phone and a hand held gps but now leave the gps at home. A compass and my phone seem to do just fine as long as I don't let the phone get to cold and shut it off while on stand to save battery for the trip out.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
paynetrain
Facebook: none

Unread postby paynetrain » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:36 am

If you're like me, many of the areas I hunt are far far away from any reliable service and my hunting apps are pretty darn useless and not accurate. I'm excellent at land nav the old school way and it has worked for me so far. But for having lots of hunting sites and for easier in and out I am purchasing a GPS. Long time of reading reviews and product descriptions summed up.... I think a Garmin 64st is the way to go and mine is on its way!

Edit: It should be noted I will never be in deep woods without a compass and map though!
-Payne
Ol'DominionBH

Unread postby Ol'DominionBH » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:36 pm

If you don't have a GPS, you can use the reflective orange tags. they are about 2 inches long and just clip right on to little limbs or the bark of trees. Once Im off a trail I start using them and space them out about 20-35 yards depending on the thickness of the woods. Once its dark they shine really well, especially if you use a red light, then just grab them as you leave and put them in a pocket. they come with about 15 and are on a little key ring. this at least gets you back on the right track to your truck or a main path. hope that helps.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Ol'DominionBH wrote:If you don't have a GPS, you can use the reflective orange tags. they are about 2 inches long and just clip right on to little limbs or the bark of trees. Once Im off a trail I start using them and space them out about 20-35 yards depending on the thickness of the woods. Once its dark they shine really well, especially if you use a red light, then just grab them as you leave and put them in a pocket. they come with about 15 and are on a little key ring. this at least gets you back on the right track to your truck or a main path. hope that helps.

Just saying, some states do not allow you to use ribbion, tags or makers make sure to check local laws.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”