1/3 from the Top/Military crest?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gbrony

1/3 from the Top/Military crest?

Unread postby gbrony » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:34 pm

I'm trying to identify the military crest or the elevation 1/3 from the top where the preferred bedding is due to the "wind tunnel." The mountain I hunt runs mostly north to south with finger ridges running off east to west. The prevailing wind is southwest. Does the 1/3 rule apply only to the main mountain ridge or to the finger ridges as well? I've jumped bedded deer on both so its hard to say exactly where they prefer to bed. One decent buck picked a bench halfway down the mountain right near a natural spring and a logging road. I can't seem how to upload a pic.....

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: 1/3 from the Top/Military crest?

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Should see a wind tunnel on the ridges also anytime the wind is blowing over the top of them.
Not all those who wander are lost...
<DK>
500 Club

Re: 1/3 from the Top/Military crest?

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:34 am

The 1/3 is the starting point for figuring out a new property. They can bed anywhere on a ridge BUT its for specific reasons. Most cases is wind/sight advantages but in the case of your story - benches are excellent bedding locations and can be the preferred spot. Sounds like a solid setup w the ingredients of the bench & water close. The logging road could be coincidence or he watches it for hunters. Sounds like a great find!

How-to post pics - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39892

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”