Mobile Set Up

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Re: Mobile Set Up

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:13 am

Brummit3 wrote:In regards to these mobile set ups. Do you believe that quality tree stands and climbing sticks are essential for mobile hunting? Or do they just need to be silenced? Or is that extra weight savings what makes it easier to hang up/climb up?

In your original opening post.... If you are going into many areas on a blind sit, from cyber scouting and you are locating trees that are climber friendly then you are doing good. Many times when I go in blind and get to an area I want to climb, seems like 7-10 times its small trees full of limbs.

If you know the area you want to hunt and can carry a climber, the sit will most likely be more comfortable, but the climb may be a little louder?

As for the quality of tree stands.... I think if you can afford quality, then no way I would skimp on price and hunt anything less. The quality setups will lock to the tree tighter, most likely weigh less, but most important (to me) They will be QUIET! Snapping, popping, creeking stands always seem to make noise at the worse time!

Even quality stands needs to be silenced. Anything you can do to increase your odds and make your hunt stealthy is worth the effort and cost

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:35 am

No stand is perfect out of the box. You can skimp on quality to save money now, but in the end you will still want the best you can buy. It will cost more cause now you have cheap stuff collecting dust that you wasted money on.

Good stuff can be had for cheap if you look around. No reason to only buy new. Just saw 2 lone wolfs for $175 each. Very lightly used and old. An alpha and a 8.5 assault.

But we are all guilty of not spending the money to get what we want. Buy once and cry once. I did that 3 times last year. Now I have 2 great stands with sticks, a great bow, and an iwom. Much less I have to buy in the future because I bought exactly what I wanted. Not buying less and trying to make it what I want.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
MedicineMan15

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:54 pm

I use both an xop enforcer sit and climb and a lone wolf assault with l/w sticks. The vast majority of the time I'm using the assault. In hill country most of the time a climber will work, although this year I sat a climber on my best spot and had a mature buck just 10 yards outside of my comfortable shooting range. The crooked tree 10 yards away was the one to be in.

You're going to want to buy good equipment right of the bat, but just know you will likely need to modify whatever you get to make it "perfect".

I bought a "cheap" setup, was unhappy, then bought the "right" setup.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:06 am

A buddy and I found a real honey hole spot this season.
He definitely got into better marsh edge areas with his LW and sticks where as I had to sit back off edge because of the climber. The climber served me well on some hunts, but hindered on just as many.
I think I am going to go to a saddle, it sounds like a win for mobility, stealth, and comfort!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:52 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:A buddy and I found a real honey hole spot this season.
He definitely got into better marsh edge areas with his LW and sticks where as I had to sit back off edge because of the climber. The climber served me well on some hunts, but hindered on just as many.
I think I am going to go to a saddle, it sounds like a win for mobility, stealth, and comfort!
ive been using a saddle for whole season I can put my whole setup and sticks in a wool bison gear pack I don't need to cut brush or anything like that to slip into a bedding area I feel like deer hunting ninja.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Brummit3

Unread postby Brummit3 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:38 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
ive been using a saddle for whole season I can put my whole setup and sticks in a wool bison gear pack I don't need to cut brush or anything like that to slip into a bedding area I feel like deer hunting ninja.

What saddle do you use? How long does it take to get used to a saddle compared to a treestand?
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:01 am

Brummit3 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

What saddle do you use? How long does it take to get used to a saddle compared to a treestand?

I use the aero hunter kestrel I think its the best one out their right now. it took me about 3 climbs to figure out my system I prep a lot of trees for mornings and go full mobile in afternoon most times. normally I run 4 sticks with one aider that I climb up with. I mount first 2 sticks on tree then I clip other 2 sticks on saddle I have a gear hoist on saddle that goes to my pack. and a second gear hoist on my pack too my bow. I climb to my height I want pull my bullman steps out of small pouch mounted on mole web on saddle strap to tree climb up tie in put in bow hanger hook on right side at head level. pull up pack hang on hook then at head level I screw in other bow hanger pull up bow hang on hook. I put tree between me and expected shot so when I need my bow I move inches draw bow lean out and shoot. climb down is same process just reverse. fist climb took me 25 mins second time 20 third 15 now I'm faster than I was with climber just got to make a good flowing system for yourself. I don't hunt any other way now out of trees.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:16 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Brummit3 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

I use the aero hunter kestrel I think its the best one out their right now. it took me about 3 climbs to figure out my system I prep a lot of trees for mornings and go full mobile in afternoon most times. normally I run 4 sticks with one aider that I climb up with. I mount first 2 sticks on tree then I clip other 2 sticks on saddle I have a gear hoist on saddle that goes to my pack. and a second gear hoist on my pack too my bow. I climb to my height I want pull my bullman steps out of small pouch mounted on mole web on saddle strap to tree climb up tie in put in bow hanger hook on right side at head level. pull up pack hang on hook then at head level I screw in other bow hanger pull up bow hang on hook. I put tree between me and expected shot so when I need my bow I move inches draw bow lean out and shoot. climb down is same process just reverse. fist climb took me 25 mins second time 20 third 15 now I'm faster than I was with climber just got to make a good flowing system for yourself. I don't hunt any other way now out of trees.
a real slick thing too if you know what tree you want is run a loop of para cord over a crotch then down to ground. then in morning walk in with a climbing rope tie to para cord pull it up tree and back down tie in and climb your rope then you can repel down after your done.
protector

Unread postby protector » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Tempy wrote:hang on = Lone wolf assault II and 4 XOP sticks
-like the setup but the sticks are too heavy. Probably going to try to reduce to 3 sticks and aiders until I find a lighter stick setup

Climber = older API climbing tree stand
-super comfortable, quick to climb, lighter than hang on but noisy and cumbersome with thick brush

Used my hang-on setup mostly for evening bed hunts and most of the season. Used climber for all day/extended sits during pre-rut/rut.

What do you guys mean when referring to “aiders”?
Sent from the woods....
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:33 pm

vtbuck wrote:I have a xop Vanish and 4 xop sticks. I used a climber in the past but the tree had to be straight. With this setup I can get in pretty much any tree without issue. They both have their place of course. I just like the fact I don’t have to find the perfect tree now

Is there a way you’ve learned how to transport your stand and sticks effectively?
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:01 pm

protector wrote:
Tempy wrote:hang on = Lone wolf assault II and 4 XOP sticks
-like the setup but the sticks are too heavy. Probably going to try to reduce to 3 sticks and aiders until I find a lighter stick setup

Climber = older API climbing tree stand
-super comfortable, quick to climb, lighter than hang on but noisy and cumbersome with thick brush

Used my hang-on setup mostly for evening bed hunts and most of the season. Used climber for all day/extended sits during pre-rut/rut.

What do you guys mean when referring to “aiders”?

Here ya go.......

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=43795
protector

Unread postby protector » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:29 pm

Thanks for the guidance!
Sent from the woods....

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”