Mobile Set Up

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brummit3

Mobile Set Up

Unread postby Brummit3 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:51 am

Hi all,

I am just curious what people use for mobile set ups. I have a hang on stand with climbing sticks because I was told it would be more advantageous to use a hang on vs a climber stand but I am noticing a lot of the trees I use would be suitable for climber tree stands. Am I just getting lucky with the limited spots I have hunted? Or will having a hang on be useful in the long term. I was just curious because I was debating on obtaining a climber. What mobile set ups do you guys use?

daveynewman
500 Club

Re: Mobile Set Up

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 am

I run both. If i am familiar with the area and I know i can use my climber I will. But if I am new to the area I will always use my stand and sticks
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 am

I use hawk helium sticks and a lone wolf stand. I started out with a climber but after one season switched over to a hang on. The one season I used the climber there were probably 4 or 5 times when I couldn't setup anywhere close to where I wanted to due to no climbable trees. Hang on and sticks are nice because you can get in any tree and can pick the best tree based on location rather then what you can get in
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:11 am

I have a climber I have used for the last 8-9 years and this year went strictly with a lone wolf assault/ xop silver and xop sticks set up. 3 of my sets this year needed this set up, and all the others could have used a climber.

The one thing I will say, the hang on carries nicer through brush, and in the long run is the way to go. My swing for the fence spots that were back into some swamps, all needed the hang on and sticks. My conservative, stay up in the hardwoods like always hunts, the climber would've been the way to go.

I think having both is good. I am using my climber for gun season just because the spot allows it, and there isn't one certain perfect tree. And it is 10x more comfortable. Did a couple all day sits in my hang on, and its not fun.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:19 am

You can get a decent climber that weighs less than you stand & sticks if you have the expendable cash - use whichever one works best for where you hunt.

I have stand & sticks for mobile hunting, never had a good climber. Personally prefer ladder stands - have like 5.
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:47 am

I think it is a matter of preference. I have had a climber for years but hardly ever used it. Last year I got an XOP hang on with Hawk climbing sticks and have used it every time I go out. I think I am quieter and faster with the hang on but that's probably because I practiced more with it. I also have no problem sitting all day in a hang on, I know some guys would prefer a climber for an all day sit but I don't mind it. I can take a nap anywhere :lol:
Brummit3

Unread postby Brummit3 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am thinking I am just getting lucky with the trees available to me!
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:58 am

I have a xop Vanish and 4 xop sticks. I used a climber in the past but the tree had to be straight. With this setup I can get in pretty much any tree without issue. They both have their place of course. I just like the fact I don’t have to find the perfect tree now
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
young7.3

Unread postby young7.3 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:45 am

Lone wolf alpha 2 and sticks
Check out my page "Young Adventures" on YouTube and Instagram for real, 100% fair chase, hunting and outdoor videos!
https://www.instagram.com/young_adventures_outdoors/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNLaHUW5jxEkptTl2ZKb7LA
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:00 am

I use a lone wolf hand climber. I might by a set of sticks and try that route with a lock on but so far the hand climber has worked out well for me.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:40 am

I use a LW hang on almost exclusively, but did notice when hunting the hills this year that a climber could have been used in almost every tree I sat in. In the marsh I hunt, a climber is useless in 90% of the trees I hunt out of. Having both, depending on the situation, is good.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:49 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I use a LW hang on almost exclusively, but did notice when hunting the hills this year that a climber could have been used in almost every tree I sat in. In the marsh I hunt, a climber is useless in 90% of the trees I hunt out of. Having both, depending on the situation, is good.

This^^^ Typically my open hardwoods and hill country setting has trees better suited for a climber and my swamp sits are nearly all exclusively my LW hang-on.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
bowscrub

Unread postby bowscrub » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:06 pm

I use an old Loc On LEM that I got on CL for $5 and 4 hawk helium sticks. Whole set up weighs about 22 lbs. I am happy with the sticks, and I will hopefully be buying a Hawk xplor for next season. It currently takes me about 10 minutes to get settled into my tree (in one trip) from the time I arrive to my tree. Most of that time going into hanging my awkward stand. Personally, like a hang on over a climber bc I sweat less setting up a hang on, it is far more versatile, and It doesn't take me that much longer to set up.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:02 pm

I use a Hawk Helium stand and leverage sticks. And have been for the past 3 years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:56 am

My hang on and sticks weigh nore than my climber but the hang on carrys easier. Lays flatter to my back and doesnt get snagged on brush

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”