Almost no sign

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sean952

Almost no sign

Unread postby Sean952 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 pm

So I’m hunting this peice of public land I know has good bucks living on it. I have walked almost all of the trans lines and no rubs no scrapes for the most part there is one big scrape by a beaver dam car hood size with a single bed kidney shaped bare to dirt at least 4’ long 100yrds or so away on a point with no way to hunt the point. The beaver dam goes to a cut island 80acrs in size or so that is waist to chest deep nest of crap you can’t hunt and no where to put my stand to get above it. I know there are also a ton of 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 yr old bucks and even they aren’t leaving “normal” sign. Not sure if I should keep trying to hunt this or just move on... not looking for only 5&6yr olds just want to get on good public land meat for the freezer. Also does everywhere this spring and summer but now in nov can’t find them either. No large private anywhere that can hold most or all of them so they must still be there some where...

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Re: Almost no sign

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Sean952 wrote:So I’m hunting this peice of public land I know has good bucks living on it. I have walked almost all of the trans lines and no rubs no scrapes for the most part there is one big scrape by a beaver dam car hood size with a single bed kidney shaped bare to dirt at least 4’ long 100yrds or so away on a point with no way to hunt the point. The beaver dam goes to a cut island 80acrs in size or so that is waist to chest deep nest of crap you can’t hunt and no where to put my stand to get above it. I know there are also a ton of 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 yr old bucks and even they aren’t leaving “normal” sign. Not sure if I should keep trying to hunt this or just move on... not looking for only 5&6yr olds just want to get on good public land meat for the freezer. Also does everywhere this spring and summer but now in nov can’t find them either. No large private anywhere that can hold most or all of them so they must still be there some where...

I wouldn’t focus on the lack of rubs or scrapes. It sounds like you found a big bed surrounded by great security cover, this would get me real excited. I’d get creative and try to find a way to hunt near that bed. Why do you say there is no way to hunt the point? You may have to resort to sitting in a scrubby tree down low or even hunting from the ground. It sounds like a good spot to me. Good luck
Sean952

Unread postby Sean952 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:02 pm

I say no way to hunt it be cause of two reasons. First on one long side it has dogwood 100yrds long by 50+’ thick the other long side is a 100yrd by 100yrd grass field knee deep at best no cover to approach Impassable water on one short end and prevailing wind right to the bed the other end.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm

I ran into this same dilemma this year. The marsh I hunt is huge and I’ve walked more of it than ever before and found one decent rub, a bunch of small ones and poor rubs. I did get a few good bucks on a cam but they seemed to be moving through. They’ve got to be there though. It’s a 20 square mike marsh so there’s deer in there, massive bucks are shot every year. Just a weird year for sign.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”