Overwhelmed in Crown City Ohio ----

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

iplan

Overwhelmed in Crown City Ohio ----

Unread postby iplan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:31 am

I came up here to clear my head --- solo hunt.

I guess I can not get past 11000 acres. It's the end of my second day of a three day hunt and I have seen 5 deer - none while on stand.

The first day -

I drove through the night --- got into Ohio at around 7:30. As I entered Crown City GMA - I see two big does running up a draw on a windward ridge. I Parked 300 yards past the doe sightings and I went across the road to the leeward ridge (opposite side the does were on). Within 30 minutes I Found a buck bed and set up immediately - fields of firewere tight and I was underdressed and exhausted from the drive through the night. I gave up at 12 noon and promptly got busted while putting my bow quiver back on my bow before lowering it from stand. Quick snort and it was all over.

PM hunt - I took a quick nap and decided to hunt a leeward ridge/point with a bench that emptied out into a Meadow - when I got there - there was no sign, but I set up anyway - because I am an idiot. Spent the late afternoon/ evening with squirrels and chipmunks.

Second day (today) - AM. - I considered hunting a 75 yard long stand of trees in the middle of a huge field. I Decide against it in favor of a leeward ridge that I approached by going through a half mile of waist high grass - When I get to the ridge - there is zero sign. I start to set up anyway, then I realize what a mistake that would be --- at this point I realize I have lost my cell phone in route to the stand. I finally find the phone at 3:30 in the afternoon and then I find my bow 30 minutes later. In a panic because it's 430 when I finally get back to my truck - I set up on the only buck bed I know of - the one I hunted yesterday - because I am an idiot.

** While editing this message - the buck shows up --- behind me at 6 yards --- no shot and He wasn't that big (4 point) anyway .

So Tomorrow is my last day in Ohio and I am completely demoralized.

Can someone point me in a direction -----

I have ONxHunt ---- any assistance/ encouragement would be mighty kind.

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: Overwhelmed in Crown City Ohio ----

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Nobody is going to be able to put you on a buck just like that.

Study your maps tonight, find a place that is far enough back that you don't expect to see anyone else, find a leeward ridge and hunt it in the morning. I typically access from the bottom and climb the ridge to where I want to set up. if you don't feel good about it mid morning, get down and lightly scout the area around you and find a place for the rest of the day. They have been hunted a good bit now, so look for thick cover.

Also, don't get hung up on sign. If you were looking for sign, you would walk right on past where I've shot all my bucks this year. And I only saw one deer from the tree in ohio, but it was the right one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”