? On some red brush flats

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

? On some red brush flats

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:16 am

Here’s a question on a large tract of red brush/tag alders. It’s a flat public spot, some fields to the east, but mainly flat open crp with some dykes,and some large red brush tickets. Never been in it, areals show some spots that look good. It’ll be late dec when I try it. Would u just take a stand and one/2 sticks and just look for a good trail? There is a spot that looks to have some trees back in with some possible tamaracks/pines. Hard to tell. Or, just grab the bow, go light and just Scout/still hunt once u get into the thick? Seems to be overlooked as it looks like a hard walk due to wet/marsh grass. Think JM’s marsh grass song. :mrgreen:

Net Guy
500 Club

Re: ? On some red brush flats

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:42 am

Good question. If it were me, I'd probably just take the bow and slowly scout/hunt it - especially if this will be your only time this season there. You will be able to cover more ground and gain valuable "in-season" intel. However, getting up in a tree may increase your odds of a kill (depending on tree and location). All depends on what your goal would be for the hunt.
MedicineMan15

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 am

Could use a step ladder instead of a stand and sticks. Diy sportsman just recently published a YouTube video inn the subject. I've seen videos of Dan using them as well. I'm thinking of trying it in some spots I've found without an abundance of trees.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:15 am

mag1 wrote:Here’s a question on a large tract of red brush/tag alders. It’s a flat public spot, some fields to the east, but mainly flat open crp with some dykes,and some large red brush tickets. Never been in it, areals show some spots that look good. It’ll be late dec when I try it. Would u just take a stand and one/2 sticks and just look for a good trail? There is a spot that looks to have some trees back in with some possible tamaracks/pines. Hard to tell. Or, just grab the bow, go light and just Scout/still hunt once u get into the thick? Seems to be overlooked as it looks like a hard walk due to wet/marsh grass. Think JM’s marsh grass song. :mrgreen:

Marsh grass is a piece of cake that late in the year :lol:

I'd take the stand and a few sticks, hopefully you will have some snow and can cut a big track to follow and give you an idea of the exit trail he is using. If a tree is huntable hang and hunt, if not hunt from the ground. Last year late season I had a real nice 10 pointer come through at least an hour prior to close. The spot was not my intended destination, but big tracks on the trail told me to hunt there. I did not kill the buck, even though he was at 12 yards :violin: :violin:
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:01 am

I was able to drive around the spot on my way home tonight. defiantly has some interesting looking spots. Its not as far as it looked on the map either. I will attempt to scout with stand on back, only need 1 stick with aider, I'll be able to scout as I go. might need to do a Dan to get across some water. :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”