Ohio public hill country opinions...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matt6506

Re: Ohio public hill country opinions...

Unread postby Matt6506 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:48 pm

If I had the opportunity I would take vacation the week of Halloween thru the first full week of Nov., I truly think that the big boys are crusing at the time. If I have one particular buck I'm chasing that would be the best opportunity rut wise. By the second week in November I think the most mature bucks are on lock down or near it. After that it's a crap shoot catching them between does. Also it seems like pressure is lower around Halloween compared to the first few weeks of November. Unfortunately with my job I am unable to take off a full week until the first full week of November.

“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:19 pm

SwampStalker wrote:Brian, do you typically see more action those last few days of oct and into early nov in ohio? i actually considered heading out there a bit earlier this coming season. I will probably be out in late feb for some scouting. Then again mid- late summer.

Well, it's not that I see more action late Oct- early Nov per say. But I think the mature bucks are still searching for that first hot doe and are a bit more in a pattern. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting Nov 8th-Thanksgiving. But by then on the public where I'm hunting the big ones seem to already have a doe and it's more random- more catching them going from doe to doe.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 am

SwampStalker wrote:Brian, do you typically see more action those last few days of oct and into early nov in ohio? i actually considered heading out there a bit earlier this coming season. I will probably be out in late feb for some scouting. Then again mid- late summer.

Some to think about, i started hunting when i was 16, im now 40. The past 6 or 7 years i have really shifted my hunting to the late season. I really have had alot of luck seeing mature bucks on the feet in the late season, especially in the later part of November when there coming off of does and look for some more! But i dont know a thing about ohio gun, muzzleloader or any of it for that matter. Its just gotten me alot more big buck sighting than hunting earlier when “everybody takes there vacation” but how he seasons and dates of stuff coild make things diffrent than here in ky. Just a thought!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”