Iowa Public Land Hunt

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rizzo999
500 Club

Re: Iowa Public Land Hunt

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Should draw a zone 5 nonresident tag also. Have 4 points going into this draw. Took 2 extended weekend trips there scouting each of the past 2 late winter/early spring. Planning on doing the same this year in the next few weekends if time allows. It would be great to cross paths with a fellow beast!

Elusive78

Unread postby Elusive78 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:32 pm

Just got back from scouting Zone 3. Thinking I found some pretty good spots! Found a matching set of sheds from a nice 2 1/2 year old.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:32 pm

I’ll be heading to zone 4 on my second scouting trip in Iowa next month. I’m hoping to get a 2019 tag. I agree with JoeRE. Cyber scout, then scout in on foot like crazy. I want to be ready when I go down there to hunt. No way I’m wasting a tag that costs that much and takes 3-4 years to draw!
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:45 pm

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:I’ll be heading to zone 4 on my second scouting trip in Iowa next month. I’m hoping to get a 2019 tag. I agree with JoeRE. Cyber scout, then scout in on foot like crazy. I want to be ready when I go down there to hunt. No way I’m wasting a tag that costs that much and takes 3-4 years to draw!

Exactly! That is the reason this will be my third year scouting before even acquiring the non-resident tag. Cyber scouting has gotten me into a general area, but it really takes the boots to the ground to pin point the exact trees I hope to hit this Fall based on the sign. Hope to have more stand sites marked than I could possibly hunt. Hoping to head there this weekend.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:34 am

Yea I would just add over the last few years I have talked to a lot of non residents who draw a tag.

Probably 50% of those who do the work and come here to scoutbeforehand tag a good buck.

Less than 10% of those who try to come in without any previous boots on the ground have success. Cyber scouting is a start but its not enough by itself if you want to really improve your odds.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:29 am

JoeRE wrote:Yea I would just add over the last few years I have talked to a lot of non residents who draw a tag.

Probably 50% of those who do the work and come here to scoutbeforehand tag a good buck.

Less than 10% of those who try to come in without any previous boots on the ground have success. Cyber scouting is a start but its not enough by itself if you want to really improve your odds.

C'mon Joe! I need better than 50% odds! :lol:

Iowa, land of giants! Public land! Takes 3-4 years to get a tag! Should be epic! :dance:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:06 am

JoeRE wrote:Yea I would just add over the last few years I have talked to a lot of non residents who draw a tag.

I did 6 scouting trips over over to Iowa before the season and then hunted 19 days totaling over 100 hours on stand before I tagged a good buck. It was far from easy and I put in the work. Anybody that doesn’t put in the work then shows up and expects to easily kill a 150” is in for a very rude awakening. So many believe Iowa has a Booner hiding behind every tree. I must really suck as a hunter because they eluded me.

It's only easy if your name is Jackson Marsh. :P

Just joking of course because I personally know just how much work he puts into it. Luck has nothing to do with the great bucks he killed in Iowa over the years. 8-)
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 am

50% is a lot better odds than less than 10%! Even if I eat some tag soup at least I know I have put in plenty of time looking at maps, researching locations, cyber scouting and scouting in person. Leaving in just over 12 hours to go do a few days of scouting public properties in southern IA. Joe, I enjoyed your DIY group session podcast on wired to hunt. Some great info provided be each of you guys!
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 am

My daughter and I scouted 5 public sites this past weekend. Never saw another vehicle in any public parking lots! One of the sites had boot tracks on majority of the deer trails in the portion that we scouted. Surprised as we were just over 3/4 mile from the lot and crossed a deep cut creek bed and 2 ridges. Interesting to see the buck sign changes from year to year on each site. In addition, we jumped 23+ deer on one property. Saw a mix of bucks still carrying and some that had shed already.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”