Pass or fail

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KLEMZ

Re: Pass or fail

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:07 pm

JoeRE wrote:Its one of those questions that no one has any business answering other than just for themselves I think....

I have shot busted up bucks in the past and will probably just keep doing it. For me the deer is the same deer regardless. One of my most memorable kills is a half rack. He means more to me than several 160+ inch bucks sitting next to him on the wall because of the pursuit and the challenge it was getting him. If a hunt ends up feeling "easy" to me that usually translates to a lower feeling of value regardless of antlers.

Others will pass them and I am perfectly fine with that decision. I would just ask for the same respect of decision in return...

I agree.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:27 pm

When I get that iffy feeling, should I shoot or not, I always err on the side of shooting :lol: I also don't have any huge bucks on my wall.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:55 am

I passed a mature buck with a busted beam. Nothing crazy - 200# 8 pt reduced to a 5 pt. I expected to see more bucks without busted beams - didn't happen. I'm not likely to pass one like that again.

I also passed three diff 6 pts several years later. Didn't have a shot at a bigger buck after that. As a result, I'm also not expecting to pass the next 6 pt.

LOL! We live and learn what our preferences are. Only you can decide what is right for you.

I've come to realize that my values don't line up with trophy hunting - hunting all the time, scouting all the time, etc. Makes me happy to go out a handful of times and put some meat in the freezer.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:09 pm

I would have shot him, and I would have thought it was cool to have a busted up buck.

That being said, it is your tags to fill! Everyone is in the stand for their own reasons.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Rich M wrote:I also passed three diff 6 pts several years later. Didn't have a shot at a bigger buck after that.

Story of my life.
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:32 pm

I always tell guys shoot whatever makes you happy, personality I won’t shoot a mature buck if his antlers are broke up, one tine gone is not a big deal but this season in Ohio I passed a 4 1/2 year old that would of been a solid mid 150’s 10 point had he not broken his left main beam above the brow tine, good news is I was still getting pictures of him on a food source I was hunting in the late season when the came to an end. Had that buck bed 20 yards from me one afternoon for almost an hour and then passed him again mid November so I’ve learned a lot about his habits this season, he should be a good one next year, hopefully he continues to do what he did this year next season.
Persistence pays!!!
BigStick

Unread postby BigStick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:38 pm

I agree with most of the previous comments. It all comes down to what you want. I personally set a size requirement each time I go out and try to stick to it. I set this expectation based on several factors and it changes almost every time I go out. Depending on where I am in my season I would most likely have pulled the trigger on the buck you described but it really comes down to each individual.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”