Kansas Public Land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Kansas Public Land

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:22 pm

There is quite a bit of Walk In Hunting in Kansas, but most of it is pretty bare as far as trees go. My question is, how crowded is it? From the looks of things its pretty hard to get a long ways off of the road since roads are in half mile sections. Short walks and tiny woodlots sounds like a possible disaster. The Whitetail Adrenaline guys have a ton of success on the ground, but I am more of a treestand type of guy. What do you guys think?

Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Kansas Public Land

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Depends on what you are looking for. SE KS has a few walk-in spots that have timber.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Tree stand hunting is out for what Jared does. You will see on next years dvd steve shot a nice buck last day
Of rifle season out there. I asked him the other day about treestang hunting during the rut and he told me I would be better off ground pounding since so much of the land is crp fields.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:37 pm

Bowhuntercoop wrote:Tree stand hunting is out for what Jared does. You will see on next years dvd steve shot a nice buck last day
Of rifle season out there. I asked him the other day about treestang hunting during the rut and he told me I would be better off ground pounding since so much of the land is crp fields.

Yeah there is no way that he could tree stand hunt in the units that he hunts, even if he wanted to. I don't think I could personally spot and stalk with a bow though. Us WV guys don't have much experience with that.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
faraones2112

Unread postby faraones2112 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:53 pm

I live and hunt nothing but public in Kansas. No matter where you are if you walk a tree line you will find multiple stands. Trees draw in the hunters and the deer know it. You most likely can not out walk anyone or find hard to access spots. Its the right under your nose overlooked spots that hold big bucks. Birds hunters will kill a spot quick in crp once season opens. We may not have the number of hunters Wisconsin or Michigan has. Nevertheless, you can see every licence plate in the union here and we are all hunting the same small properties together.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:32 pm

faraones2112 wrote:I live and hunt nothing but public in Kansas. No matter where you are if you walk a tree line you will find multiple stands. Trees draw in the hunters and the deer know it. You most likely can not out walk anyone or find hard to access spots. Its the right under your nose overlooked spots that hold big bucks. Birds hunters will kill a spot quick in crp once season opens. We may not have the number of hunters Wisconsin or Michigan has. Nevertheless, you can see every licence plate in the union here and we are all hunting the same small properties together.

Exactly what he said^^^
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:39 pm

WIHA = flattened cow pasture :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”