Kansas WIHA’s

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonehead

Kansas WIHA’s

Unread postby Bonehead » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:38 am

I lost my private in unit 11. I am considering hunting WIHA in unit 11 or maybe 8.
Just wondering how many beast hunt WIHA in Kansas, and how much pressure do you see? Any big bucks in there at all? I love Kansas, but am not sure about WIHA’s.
Any feedback would be much appreciated

basspro05
500 Club

Re: Kansas WIHA’s

Unread postby basspro05 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:39 am

JimmyBuck143

Unread postby JimmyBuck143 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Bonehead,
I hunt/have hunted units 8,9,10 on WIHA properties with some success.
There is definitely pressure on the properties that have lots of timber and look good from an aerial/cyber scouting, especially October 20 - Nov 12-ish.
After the second week of November those properties go DEAD, all of the out of staters have gone home to get back to work.
Here's what I has been successful for me and my buddies: we hunt the properties with tree lines only or pieces that connect two blocks of timber but don't exist of anything but that tree line, during the rut they cruise those tree lines getting from A to B looking for does.
The other big factor is to keep an eye on when bird season opens. It's typically around Nov 7th and the days following bird opener can be good bc bucks have been kicked out of a lot of the CRP fields and are seeking a tree line to get cover.

Hope this helps a little, definitely some big deer to be had on the WIHA.
Graham_van

Unread postby Graham_van » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 am

I've hunted WIHA in units 11, 12, and 14. Had good luck with them. They get pressure, but its not bad. I would recommend staying away from parcels that look really good. They get more pressure. I almost had a shot at a 150" 8 point 2 years ago on some WIHA near Fort Scott. It was mostly a huge hay field with a little draw in it. The rule of thumb I have found in Kansas is to find places that don't look like great deer hunting, and thats where the big bucks go to hide.
Can't kill em if they aren't there

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”