Packing in Gear

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nextstepbowhunter
Facebook: Aaron Olsen

Packing in Gear

Unread postby nextstepbowhunter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:45 am

For those of you that do a lot of hang 'n hunts AND Self video, what is the best system you have figured out to pack in all of your equipment as efficiently as possible? I tried a number of things this year but think this year I will be wearing the stand on my back, strapping my backpack w/ camera equipment to the stand and then carrying my bow in one hand and the climbing sticks in the other.... :think:

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Packing in Gear

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:49 am

I suppose it depends on the distance, time of year, and length of sit. This season I'm going to do more of a minimalistic approach to carrying my gear.

What is your mobile setup?
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:47 am

I think your idea is in line with what most do. The first mod most make is to add a molle belt and backpack straps on the stand to make carrying more comfortable. The belt takes the weight off your shoulders. Even better (in my view) is going to a pack frame. Any frame or pack with a frame is going to be way more comfortable than having the straight metal stand against your back. By comfortable I don't mean cushy, I mean more effective/efficient. It's a better tool for the job. You can pick up a simple frame pretty cheap and strap everything on just as you plan currently. Although I would pack the sticks too I like to have one hand free. Perhaps try the molle belt & straps idea first then go from there.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 am

Everything on back, bow in hand opposite of release. Invest the $20 in a molle waist belt and shoulder straps. Tinker with straps and belt placement on stand to suit your comfort best, and strap all the gear on the stand, heaviest stuff closest to your back to reduce the moment generated (god I sound like a nerd) by larger weights farther off your back.

But ultimately, just embrace the suck of mobile hunting. No easy way around it, its not fun carrying all the gear into the woods, but its what you gotta do on public
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:43 am

Jonny wrote:Everything on back, bow in hand opposite of release. Invest the $20 in a molle waist belt and shoulder straps. Tinker with straps and belt placement on stand to suit your comfort best, and strap all the gear on the stand, heaviest stuff closest to your back to reduce the moment generated (god I sound like a nerd) by larger weights farther off your back.

But ultimately, just embrace the suck of mobile hunting. No easy way around it, its not fun carrying all the gear into the woods, but its what you gotta do on public

I like this! :D
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Jonny wrote:Everything on back, bow in hand opposite of release.Invest the $20 in a molle waist belt and shoulder straps. Tinker with straps and belt placement on stand to suit your comfort best, and strap all the gear on the stand, heaviest stuff closest to your back to reduce the moment generated (god I sound like a nerd) by larger weights farther off your back.

^^^This!
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:46 pm

I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on the sitka tool bucket. Being able to sandwich the stand and sticks between the shoulder/waist straps and the pack itself seems like a great system. Would be able to carry camera and camera arm and any other minimal gear in the pack but be able to separate the 2 parts and leave the straps on the stand after its hung.

This year I used a small bag from summit to carry my stuff and just strapped it to my helium. It wasn't bad but between my bow hanger, rangefinder, water bottle, truck keys, knife, etc it was a little tight on space and very cluttered. I didn't film much this year because I just didn't have a good way to get it all in the woods on mobile setups. This seems like the most seamless approach for me.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Brickhouse wrote:I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on the sitka tool bucket. Being able to sandwich the stand and sticks between the shoulder/waist straps and the pack itself seems like a great system. Would be able to carry camera and camera arm and any other minimal gear in the pack but be able to separate the 2 parts and leave the straps on the stand after its hung.

This year I used a small bag from summit to carry my stuff and just strapped it to my helium. It wasn't bad but between my bow hanger, rangefinder, water bottle, truck keys, knife, etc it was a little tight on space and very cluttered. I didn't film much this year because I just didn't have a good way to get it all in the woods on mobile setups. This seems like the most seamless approach for me.

I might sell my Sitka tool bucket. If interested send me a message. It’s a year old but found I didn’t use it.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:49 pm

How many sticks are you running?

Do you have talons?

How much Camera gear do you have?

I strap camera arm alongside sticks. I put camera in my fanny...

I run Molle straps/belt. The fanny I run is military style I think it was $15, very well built, small and streamlined but enough room for essentials like nippers, handsaw, rangefinder, milkweed, flashlight, keys, knife, tp... I have a couple detachable water bottle holders, can hold up to a large Gatorade in each. Super versatile setup for hang and hunts. Only extra things I bring is a soft lunchbox strapped to stand for all day sits and outer layers strapped to stand for cold weather sits...

If you run talons you can strap a backpack between your sticks on the stand. Should be plenty of room then.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:12 am

Stand on my back, sticks and camera arm strapped to stand. Camera in a vest pocket, 1/8" bow rope, milkweed, small light in vest pocket. It remains the same whether I walk 3 miles or 300 feet.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:24 am

Down south you have to be prepared to field dress and get an animal out quickly as it gets too hot (often over 90 degrees even into Dec). I carry everything in with a custom Kathy Kelly pack and can use it to haul out boned out meat if needed. If I can use my kayak - I bring a deer drag (hard plastic that rolls up into a nice tube) and leave it on the kayak so I can drag a deer to kayak. I go over what is in my pack in a video on my youTube channel.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:31 am

playing w a guidos web for long hauls, so far not a fan w bow but like w gun, plan on getting Dan`s sticks to use as well, Mike
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:26 am

Jonny wrote:Everything on back, bow in hand opposite of release. Invest the $20 in a molle waist belt and shoulder straps. Tinker with straps and belt placement on stand to suit your comfort best, and strap all the gear on the stand, heaviest stuff closest to your back to reduce the moment generated (god I sound like a nerd) by larger weights farther off your back.

yep turn your stand into a frame pack and keep all your gear as flat to stand as possible it will carry way lighter also rig up a way to make load lifters on the shoulder straps and put all the weight on your hips with a waist belt.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Native13

Unread postby Native13 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 am

I put the entire molle ll frame and straps on my viper climber. I just attached it with zipties.The frames contour helps with comfort and there is not multiple straps all over the place on the platform.
I also just saw XOP has a treestand transport harness. Looks very similar to the old Game Plan harness.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:52 pm

I have a great badland pack that split in the middle. I would carry my stand in the middle and fill the two side compartments with my extra stand clothing.
It had a bottom compartment I filled with safety gear/ steps etc. The top compartment would sling over the whole set up and hold all my bs calls etc.

This year I bought the Ox frame only. And tho it weighs more I feel its better fitting and more comfortable in the long run. Its nice to go ultra light but if your pack hurts or you use your stand and it isn't fitting your back correctly..is it actually better...to me no. best fitting setup works better for long hauls.

comfort trumps weight

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”