I’m bummed out

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonehead

I’m bummed out

Unread postby Bonehead » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:25 am

My cousin who Is somewhat new to hunting, got these night pictures off a feeder last year on a 40 acre property he had permission to hunt on. We had heard rumors of this buck, but was surprised to keep getting pictures of him right after dark.
The 40acres is across the street from 500 acres of public with wheat fields. Directly across the street was a very worn cattle pasture that the deer seldom crossed. Most of the deer were staying in the thicker cover by crossing the road from west (red) just north of the cattle pasture after dark.
The buck never showed on his land during daylight. But we knew he was bedding somewhere nearby because he would get
A couple pics a week right after dark. I figured there was a decent chance that he could be bedding (yellow x) on a point on the private land just north of his 40. I recommended on a south, south west wind he hunt the small strip of public on the west side of the road, hoping the buck would cross the fence and stage somewhere in there before crossing the road.
He went in and scout/hunted that area. He didn’t find a lot of rubs, but there was a lot of doe bedding in that area.
Even though there was a parking area across the street, there was no hunter sign over there on that side of the road.
He hunted it a couple of times during late season. He saw small bucks and doe, but nothing big.
He had not got any more pics of this buck after thanksgiving week (rifle season), but we never heard of anyone shooting him.
After season, we went in to scout and prepare some stand locations. Hopeful that next year during pre rut he may come across onto public to check out the doe bedding before dark.
Sadly, We found him dead (blue) right where we were going to try and hunt him next season on the public ground.
Guessing he was shot with a rifle on the private ground in November, crossed the fence onto public and laid down and died.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: I’m bummed out

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:28 am

That sucks. But that is a stud of a buck! At least you know what happened to him instead of him disappearing forever.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:50 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:That sucks. But that is a stud of a buck! At least you know what happened to him instead of him disappearing forever.

Even though we didn’t kill him, I’m glad we found him. My cousin Euro mounted him, turned out really great.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 am

That is certainly a buzz kill but it is pretty cool you guys found him.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:19 am

Bummer for sure. But looks like you had put the puzzle together patterning him. Hopefully another one will take over his spot
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:20 am

I'd be bummed too.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:35 am

That sucks. Hopefully it wasn’t the result of an unethical shot and very poor recovery attempt.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:26 am

I forgot to mention that my cousin took it upon himself to go back and scout between the road and wheat field on the public side (night movement)
I blew that off as night sign and didn’t look at it at all (other than looking for large tracks near the road.
He found a tore up rub line from 20 yards inside the road to the field. (Red trail line on east side of road on map)
He thought there was a possibility that it might be him. As did I.
That rub line was another crucial part of the puzzle and I forgot to mention it.
Based on all that info, he set up across the street from the rubline. Didn’t have any luck. Ultimately he would find the buck dead right there.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Bonehead wrote:I forgot to mention that my cousin took it upon himself to go back and scout between the road and wheat field on the public side (night movement)
I blew that off as night sign and didn’t look at it at all (other than looking for large tracks near the road.
He found a tore up rub line from 20 yards inside the road to the field. (Red trail line on east side of road on map)
He thought there was a possibility that it might be him. As did I.
That rub line was another crucial part of the puzzle and I forgot to mention it.
Based on all that info, he set up across the street from the rubline. Didn’t have any luck. Ultimately he would find the buck dead right there.

well on the bright side you found some valuable info and might have another monster take his place and be ahead of the game next time.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:45 pm

Impressive dead head. Sucks he didn't get the wall mount and recognition that buck deserved.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:57 pm

I’d be bummed beyond belief as well. Hopefully his genetics are in as many does as possible right now (and from past ruts) and you’ll get a ton of monster bucks like that one running around!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Target deer die every year. It's just a way of life for hunters. I think of it as an opportunity for some more big boys to move into the area.

The only thing that sucks is the meat was wasted!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Wow! He was a beauty!

I had the same thing happen to me in early November 2015 except I climbed a tree in the dark and when the sun came up my target buck was 30 yards away, dead. Honestly looking back on it--that messed me up for the rest of the season.

So since I've been in your shoes, I would say you guys have a lot of blessings and finding him in the offseason. Number one you have a lot of time to get over it, so it should not screw you up mentally during the season. Number two you not going to waste any valueable hunting time chasing after a ghost next season, as you would have if you had not found him. And number three, you know what happened to him for the most part. It will lead to success, for sure. He would have been dead either way have you found him or not. It is much better to find him and know.

Man, that was a beautiful buck! Thanks for sharing that picture. Hopefully my post was helpful. I feel your pain, but it is always better to know.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:42 pm

I wouldn't be bummed at all. Heck I have been waiting my whole life to find something half way decent for a dead head. I have only found a few dead skulls in my life for some reason.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:57 pm

Wow what a beast.

The up side is if the area produced one buck of that caliber it can produce another.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”