What is it with permanent stands all over the place?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tonsen23

Re: What is it with permanent stands all over the place?

Unread postby Tonsen23 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 am

Want to know your guys opinions. My family just acquired a 6 acre parcel of land. It adjoins with county forest which on our side of the roads is about 11 acres. Ive been looking at a lot of satellite maps to do pre scouting and it appears that theres a permanent ground/elevated blind on the public land. I will be going to check it out in a couple weeks when I'm up there, but what's your guys thoughts about this? I'm planning a smallish food plot and a ground blind site on our property.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:34 am

Tonsen23 wrote:Want to know your guys opinions. My family just acquired a 6 acre parcel of land. It adjoins with county forest which on our side of the roads is about 11 acres. Ive been looking at a lot of satellite maps to do pre scouting and it appears that theres a permanent ground/elevated blind on the public land. I will be going to check it out in a couple weeks when I'm up there, but what's your guys thoughts about this? I'm planning a smallish food plot and a ground blind site on our property.

Its pretty common in my area for guys to build permanent stands on their private, but about 10 yards off public with the intent of shooting on it. One is on a power line strip and they shoot back a couple hundred yards onto public and drive the ground on both sides of the lines. They push me deer every year. So I would say check if its really on public or on the private side of the border.

Id also put some extra thought to the foodplot on private. Guys walk the property lines cause they think private is way better than the public it borders, and a worn trail going to food is a dead giveaway for them to hunt it and pick them off before they get to you. If they bed on your land that isnt a big deal, but with 6 acres, I doubt it.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:48 am

greenhorndave wrote:Yeah, your point about knowing where the stands are to shape activity is why I mark them. I've been reluctant to report them because of this, but some of these guys deserve to get knocked down a peg or two.

Then again, me getting a big buck in part due to their stands would be the best medicine. :lol:

The only thing the really pisses me off is when I found tons of garbage around them, I usually pile it all up right in front of the ladder in hopes they think it is a CO. It actually works because I have been back to some areas and they were all cleaned up.
AR Hunter

Unread postby AR Hunter » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:58 pm

Some people hang cheap stands and leave them to discourage other people from hunting certain spots.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:39 pm

AR Hunter wrote:Some people hang cheap stands and leave them to discourage other people from hunting certain spots.

Could be.

The antidote is to Infalt* them.

* Infalt (in-fahllt) -- Verb. To intercept and kill a big buck before it has a chance to reach lesser hunters. Usage: He Infalted the Rome Legend before the other hunters 150 yards away even saw that the buck was in front of them.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:54 pm

Along with tons of stands i find illegal baiting as well !
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:26 am

hoyt31786 wrote:Along with tons of stands i find illegal baiting as well !

I used to do that for camera traps in the off season which is legal here. Raccoons love the PB. Lots of pictures of portly raccoons some deer.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:22 am

All over in Arkansas too. I wrote AGFC and asked do they consider stands left over the limit to be 'abandoned'? They confirmed Dewy's point - record GPS data and send them in. I have all the data and use it to predict hunter pressure but haven't sent them yet....
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Tonsen23

Unread postby Tonsen23 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:36 pm

Tonsen23 wrote:Want to know your guys opinions. My family just acquired a 6 acre parcel of land. It adjoins with county forest which on our side of the roads is about 11 acres. Ive been looking at a lot of satellite maps to do pre scouting and it appears that theres a permanent ground/elevated blind on the public land. I will be going to check it out in a couple weeks when I'm up there, but what's your guys thoughts about this? I'm planning a smallish food plot and a ground blind site on our property.

I got up there over the weekend, it is a permanent elevated blind on the county forest land. They didn't leave any contact info on it. Elevated blinds arent allowed on county forest property and any permanent blind is prohibited.

Should I wait until summer and go talk to who I suspect put the blind there to see how reasonable they are? I know I can't stop them from hunting public land, but part of the reason we bought our land is for huntung.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Tonsen23 wrote:

I got up there over the weekend, it is a permanent elevated blind on the county forest land. They didn't leave any contact info on it. Elevated blinds arent allowed on county forest property and any permanent blind is prohibited.

Should I wait until summer and go talk to who I suspect put the blind there to see how reasonable they are? I know I can't stop them from hunting public land, but part of the reason we bought our land is for huntung.

I'm taking the advice others gave and report GPS coordinates to the wardens. I think that's probably the easiest way. Never know if the guy is a wacko or not. Best to let him think the warden just found it?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:08 pm

I'd be a rich man if I took down all of the illegal stands/sticks left over after season and turned them in for scrap.

It does get frustrating to see them all, but it's just another piece of the puzzle in the grand scheme of things out on the public land.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:38 pm

Rather than start another thread on this same subject I thought I would revive this one. To say I had my fill of finding illegal stands on public land is a huge understatement. So many times I have busted my hump to get into an almost impossible to get to spot only to find an illegal stand hanging there when I arrive, and I am done with it. Calling them in has done very little, most CO's are spread to thin to be able to take care of them. I am contemplating just taking them down and either cutting the straps or cutting the cables so they become unusable. Many of them were put up with illegal screw in steps that the person took out with them, I carry wild edge steps with me so I could easily take those down as well. I know people say use them to your advantage, but most of them completely ruin the spot they are in. I dont get so excited when I find them during season, then I usually just hunt downwind of them, but when they are up in February or March in areas that your not even suppose to leave them overnight is just wrong. I feel like they are just trying to deter other hunters from hunting "their' spot, or are too lazy to follow the rules and pack their stands in and out. Anyone else have any creative ideas dealing with this problem?
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:45 pm

Those stands are letting you know where not to hunt. :lol:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Yeah they annoy me too. I have to laugh at the way most are setup and situated though. I see why alot of the hunters strike out that hunt like that.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:52 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:Those stands are letting you know where not to hunt. :lol:

They are annoying, but GH ^ and others (matt1336?) have advised to keep them where they're at and understand that the deer will route around them somehow. The stands can help if you have an idea of bedding. The best opportunity that I had last year was one where the stands weren't far away, but no boot tracks were present, i.e. overlooked
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”