What is it with permanent stands all over the place?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: What is it with permanent stands all over the place?

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed May 20, 2020 3:35 am

MOtgrinMI wrote:Interesting response you received from the Wildlife Division (i.e., that they are considered abandoned and people can just take them). My local warden told me the opposite (i.e., that removing someones stand would be "stealing"). This is where THE STATE needs to make the interpretation of the law clear so that wardens do not relay their own interpretation of the tree stand laws. I am also a member of the MI Sportsman Forum (same name) and you would be surprised at all the different interpretations of this law that those guys have received from their local conservation officers. This is a perfect place to use the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method and make the law clear, standardized, and easy to enforce with no room for interpretation. Also some of the folks on that forum, who I suspect are the same a-holes that put up tons of stands on public to mark their territory, call out other hunters for removing this abandoned property. The truth is local citizens should not have to form their own "stand sweeping posse" to enforce these laws, so if the abandoned property interpretation is correct, I think DNR should be the one to organize local groups of volunteers for tree stand sweeps, and provide some equipment/open up the gates to vehicles so that those stands can be removed safely and easily. An incentive to participating is that volunteers could keep some stands!

Agreed.

The simplest thing would be to not allow “permanent stands” like ladder stands and go to portable stands only on public land. That eliminates all the problems.

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed May 20, 2020 3:40 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
MOtgrinMI wrote:Interesting response you received from the Wildlife Division (i.e., that they are considered abandoned and people can just take them). My local warden told me the opposite (i.e., that removing someones stand would be "stealing"). This is where THE STATE needs to make the interpretation of the law clear so that wardens do not relay their own interpretation of the tree stand laws. I am also a member of the MI Sportsman Forum (same name) and you would be surprised at all the different interpretations of this law that those guys have received from their local conservation officers. This is a perfect place to use the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method and make the law clear, standardized, and easy to enforce with no room for interpretation. Also some of the folks on that forum, who I suspect are the same a-holes that put up tons of stands on public to mark their territory, call out other hunters for removing this abandoned property. The truth is local citizens should not have to form their own "stand sweeping posse" to enforce these laws, so if the abandoned property interpretation is correct, I think DNR should be the one to organize local groups of volunteers for tree stand sweeps, and provide some equipment/open up the gates to vehicles so that those stands can be removed safely and easily. An incentive to participating is that volunteers could keep some stands!

Agreed.

The simplest thing would be to not allow “permanent stands” like ladder stands and go to portable stands only on public land. That eliminates all the problems.

Bob

Not really. I see a bunch of hang-ons on a regular basis as well. Maybe half as many as ladder stands, but they’re there all the same.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed May 20, 2020 5:02 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:

Agreed.

Bob

Not really. I see a bunch of hang-ons on a regular basis as well. Maybe half as many as ladder stands, but they’re there all the same.

I was reading Bob's comment as "no stands left overnight".
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed May 20, 2020 5:10 am

That could be! :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed May 20, 2020 8:55 am

I am telling ya, just add a wire cutter to your scouting backpack. You find an illegal stand cut it down, if it is chained and paddlelocked on cut the cables so it cant be used again. Ladder stands either cut the straps or just take the bottom section or 2 and relocate them. Please note- I only do this during the off season. If I find a stand in season I dont mess with it as it could be completely legal, idk if it was just hung up or if it had been there for years.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed May 20, 2020 9:27 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I was reading Bob's comment as "no stands left overnight".

That’s what I was going for. I didn’t think about hang on stands. Usually when I think about permanent stands I think of the ladder stands that I see all over the place here.

My other pet peeve is the ribbon and bright eyes that are all over the place on some pieces of public.

Bob

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:I was reading Bob's comment as "no stands left overnight".

That’s what I was going for. I didn’t think about hang on stands. Usually when I think about permanent stands I think of the ladder stands that I see all over the place here.

My other pet peeve is the ribbon and bright eyes that are all over the place on some pieces of public.

Bob

I walk out with pockets full of orange ribbon and reflective tacks, branch clips, or other garbage just about every time I’m out. I hate when people leave messes on public land.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 am

Dewey wrote:I walk out with pockets full of orange ribbon and reflective tacks, branch clips, or other garbage just about every time I’m out. I hate when people leave messes on public land.

Same here. Can’t stand them.

It seems like there is no basic woodsmanship at all. I’ve known a couple over the years that are afraid of the dark.

Bob

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun May 24, 2020 4:24 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:I walk out with pockets full of orange ribbon and reflective tacks, branch clips, or other garbage just about every time I’m out. I hate when people leave messes on public land.

It seems like there is no basic woodsmanship at all. I’ve known a couple over the years that are afraid of the dark.

Bob

I agree with both of you! Many people not leaving the land better than when they got the, or having basic woodsmanship!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun May 24, 2020 6:00 am

tgreeno wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:

Bob

I agree with both of you! Many people not leaving the land better than when they got the, or having basic woodsmanship!

Thirded. Or fourthed. Whatever. :D

I saw some tape yesterday that was just ridiculous. I went in and out of the same place twice in the pitch black so I didn’t see it then, but on the way out in daylight, I couldn’t believe it. it was so obvious and close to the road that the person who hung that couldn’t have had ANY sense of direction and landmarks.
----------
Groundpounder

Unread postby Groundpounder » Sun May 24, 2020 11:13 pm

same here. my pack is always empty at the start of scouting missions and always full of found garbage by the end.

I've contacted MI DNR about it several times. first year they said drop us gps coordinates and we will collect them...I sent them dozens of locations, checked on them the following year and every single one was still in the tree.

the following year I contacted them about it again, they said drop us gps, I told them that I did the prior year and they failed to do anything but waste my time. I asked if I could remove them after the season (March is when they need to be out), dnr told me that I should leave it to the wardens... I then asked if the stands can be considered abandon or garbage if left after the season, to which they said yes...which means they get taken down and thrown in the dumpster now.

sadly the MI DNR has been largely useless. reporting stands, dumping, poaching, hunter harassment, ALL has been ignored. I would love for the DNR to do their jobs but it looks like if I want the woods clean I just have to do it myself.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed May 27, 2020 10:56 pm

That's their spot, they've had it for years! And they'll defend that to the point of not only ruining their hunt but yours as well.......... god forbid you setup within sight of a hang on that is so old that there is no longer any paint on it, and one of the cables is snapped. That guy will make sure you dont have the audacity to set up anywhere near HIS hunting spot . . . . . on the state gamelands. Lol its sheer laziness, leaving ones stands up for years at a time is not only dangerous if they are being continuously used, but its disrespectful to all of the others who use that land, private lands do you, leave it up for 30years, hunt those stands with broken support cables. But dont be stupid on public lands.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu May 28, 2020 2:10 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:That's their spot, they've had it for years! And they'll defend that to the point of not only ruining their hunt but yours as well.......... god forbid you setup within sight of a hang on that is so old that there is no longer any paint on it, and one of the cables is snapped. That guy will make sure you dont have the audacity to set up anywhere near HIS hunting spot . . . . . on the state gamelands. Lol its sheer laziness, leaving ones stands up for years at a time is not only dangerous if they are being continuously used, but its disrespectful to all of the others who use that land, private lands do you, leave it up for 30years, hunt those stands with broken support cables. But dont be stupid on public lands.

Well said.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:09 am

Yeah sounds like squatters just trying to hold their spot.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:47 am

I think it's been mentioned here already, but where I hunt in west central MN you can't leave stands over night on WMA's or WPA's. Usually I find several of them each year when I scout after the season is over, most of the ones I find are next to private land where that land owner is accessing the public land and just leaving the stand there. I find a lot of screw in steps as well, I usually take them out and place them at the bottom of the tree. The stands I leave alone or let the game warden know where they are.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”