Hill country bedding scenario

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BloodStained

Hill country bedding scenario

Unread postby BloodStained » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:35 am

Note: This is in Hill country public land. If a bedded buck gets up in the evening to go feed, does he have a certain exit trail, or could he do whatever he wanted to. Here’s my scenario... over the weekend I’ve found a good buck bed for several different winds and have seen where he can shift within a step to 25 yards pending on wind direction for all winds. He is set up in that military crest with white oaks all around him, super steep terrain to his left (where one exit trail is heavy and then stops all the sudden) and laurel bushes behind him on the opposite side of the hill. I had jumped this buck while I was walking up the mountain. I didn’t know it was a buck until I had found his poop, being very large in diameter and clumped together. He never smelled me, and to my knowledge never seen me, but I guarantee he heard abnormal noise and just ran off. I was being loud and talking to my buddy. He was feeding on the side of a ridge that had white and red oaks in the middle of the day. The buck bed is the red dot to the right. Red dot to the left was where he was at when we heard him run off. So here’s my question. It looked to be plenty of food for that buck to stay there all the time with the terrain features, several types of food sources/browse, and the wind always favoring him. Let’s say this is his primary bedding and he’s going to stay majority of the time come hunting season. Per say we have a westerly wind. Where would you set up in the morning, and in the evening on this bed. Keep in mind the information I had told you about the oaks being all over the place. I feel as if he’d rarely go down the mountain into the bottom. Not much sign or activity in the bottom due to trout fishing and the road. (We walked all along that elevation and decided this was the most active spot. There were a few rubs. Not many. Mostly fresh bedding and buck crap. What’s your thoughts on what the buck would do in mornings and evenings? I honestly feel like he doesn’t have to leave if he doesn’t want to because everything he needs is right there...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BloodStained

Re: Hill country bedding scenario

Unread postby BloodStained » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 am

Also please note that he is on the east side of this mountain.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”