Please give me advise on this land!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Please give me advise on this land!

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Upper 1/3 military crest, upper 1/3 benches connecting bedding, high hubs, and low thermal hubs, head of a steep hollow or benches that run above multiple steep hollows. Saddles are always hit or miss in this type terrain. Some people would say leeward ridges, but I don't really go by that alone.

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Those hills are nothing for deer to navigate. Where I hunt in ohio the terrain is very similiar in areas. Follow your basic bedding and travel principals.thick on top, predominant wind direction, a commanding view, hubs, saddles, food destination, bedding areas. I also found that alot of the time they will drop down in the evenings to hit a water source before moving on to their destinations.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 pm

I hunt similar terrain in Ohio. If you're targeting the rut, find the food and likely doe bedding (clearcuts or bordering private ag/foodplots). Setup in between on connecring benches. Expect bedded deer to monitor the access trails there. Use the 1st day of a multiday hunt to walk the ridges and saddles to look for deer and hunter sign. In my experience the up top deer sign will be mostly laid at night. Cruise the parking lots to see where the pressure is.

Most guys want to go deep and will key in on the biggest chunks between hiking trails and parking. Youd be best off to tie in the above factors and find a spot where you can park, walk up a road, and not go in too far. Deer will cross roads.

You probably want to remove these maps from this post too. Lots of nonmembers looking to hunt there this fall will probably find those with a google search.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:26 am

Evanszach7 wrote:I hunt similar terrain in Ohio. If you're targeting the rut, find the food and likely doe bedding (clearcuts or bordering private ag/foodplots). Setup in between on connecring benches. Expect bedded deer to monitor the access trails there. Use the 1st day of a multiday hunt to walk the ridges and saddles to look for deer and hunter sign. In my experience the up top deer sign will be mostly laid at night. Cruise the parking lots to see where the pressure is.

Most guys want to go deep and will key in on the biggest chunks between hiking trails and parking. Youd be best off to tie in the above factors and find a spot where you can park, walk up a road, and not go in too far. Deer will cross roads.

You probably want to remove these maps from this post too. Lots of nonmembers looking to hunt there this fall will probably find those with a google search.

x2
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:08 am

timberwolf311 wrote:I asked a mod to delete this a while ago

I just deleted the images for you. The mod you asked may have not had a chance yet.

As for the land you scouted.... very typical for the area, Actually I REALLY like terrain like those you had pictured. The long narrow points makes for some good bedding. The "goat" paths you noticed also are typically at or near the wind tunnel on the sides. Best of luck there. I know the area gets pressure, but it isnt hammered until closer to the rut.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”