Public Land Hunting Etiquette

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Public Land Hunting Etiquette

Unread postby Archivist13 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:42 am

Pretty new to public land hunting so was wondering what everybody's thought on etiquette are. Is there an Etiquette Code that we have adopted? I know that common sense should always prevail, but every situation is different. Being we all share these lands with each other and other recreational users what sort of rules do you follow? For instance, how far from other hunters do you deem acceptable? If somebody is hunting an access trail do you walk right past them on the trail or try to loop around them so how?

The_Real_Jmill

Re: Public Land Hunting Etiquette

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 am

There's not really any set rules, but generally I will not knowingly hunt within 200 yards or more of someone else if I can help it, unless I access from a different way and don't know they are there. If someone's already up in a set depending on location I will either turn and go the other direction or slowly and quietly walk by them (especially if they are hunting close to main walking trails. But like mentioned every situation is different and common sense dictates what I should do.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:58 am

First come, first served.

Long & short of it all - go hunt and don't get flustered if you see someone or if they walk by. Some guys will walk right up to you and talk, others wave and keep moving, some will flip you the bird. Takes all kinds.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:07 am

Rich M wrote:First come, first served.

Long & short of it all - go hunt and don't get flustered if you see someone or if they walk by. Some guys will walk right up to you and talk, others wave and keep moving, some will flip you the bird. Takes all kinds.

This.

Always always always have a back up spot or two when hunting public.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:40 am

If you shoot a deer on XYZ State Game Area, don't go posting on the internet that you shot a deer on XYZ State Game Area!

It's OK to say, "I shot a deer in ABC county."
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:05 pm

sureshotscott wrote:If you shoot a deer on XYZ State Game Area, don't go posting on the internet that you shot a deer on XYZ State Game Area!

Only if you shot it in XYZ county. :mrgreen:

Bob

MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:04 pm

I try to give as much space as possible, especially during gun. I don't want to be in sight of anyone really during gun season.

Depends how far down someone is on an access trail. If they are near the front, they should not be surprised by people walking by. If they are towards the end, don't mess up their effort to walk in that far.

When given the opportunity, communicate with other hunters. Most people out there are super nice. Things happen, most understand that. Talk to each other so ya'll don't booger up eachothers hunts. Every now and then you'll run into a butthead.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:42 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
sureshotscott wrote:If you shoot a deer on XYZ State Game Area, don't go posting on the internet that you shot a deer on XYZ State Game Area!

Only if you shot it in XYZ county. :mrgreen:

Bob

Yes! I laugh about this to myself often.

Some of the rivers I fish are over 100 miles long with just as many miles or more in tributaries. I dont care how much water there is or how well known the place already is, serious fishermen arent telling their mother where they caught dinner. And if they tell you where they're fishing, they're lying, and you will buy them a beer for lying to you.

Flip over to a group of deer hunters and they will proudly tell you the state, county, game area, road, etc., post an onx screenshot of where they killed it- complete with GPS coordinates they forgot to hide- and then complain about hunting pressure. Guys who keep secrets or who don't enter their deer in record books are seen as recluses or violators. :lol:
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:04 am

Trout wrote:
Flip over to a group of deer hunters and they will proudly tell you the state, county, game area, road, etc., post an onx screenshot of where they killed it- complete with GPS coordinates they forgot to hide- and then complain about hunting pressure. Guys who keep secrets or who don't enter their deer in record books are seen as recluses or violators. :lol:

Not me. :lol: I never see nothing.

One time years back I was at the truck to get my cart to wheel out a doe. I was eating a sandwich when another hunter came out of the woods.

Hunter: “ Did you see anything.”
Me: “Nope, just some squirrels.”
Hunter:” Hey, is that blood on your boot and pant leg?”
Me:” Yeah, I slipped and fell on a rock and tore up my shin.”
Hunter:”Where were you hunting?; did you see much sign?”
Me: Points in the opposite direction; “ I was down by the pond. Tons of sign. Just no deer.”

The guy wouldn’t shut up. I had to wait 45 minutes before he left.

Bob

Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:30 am

I typically try to be honest with people to a certain degree. However, I will not let my hunting locations be known. I work to hard scouting to have someone slip in under me. One thing I can tell you from a safety standpoint is don't assume everyone is as nice and friendly as you are. In my experience there's a 50/50 shot on whether or not someone will be a but head. Otherwise there are no set rules we all live by; just use your best judgement.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:23 am

Pretty good post on this topic can be found here. Good reminders as the seasons start to open up across the country.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26487&hilit=unwritten+rules
Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Unread postby Archivist13 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:12 am

RiverBottoms wrote:Pretty good post on this topic can be found here. Good reminders as the seasons start to open up across the country.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26487&hilit=unwritten+rules

Didn't find this post when I was searching for "etiquette". Thanks! Lots of great information there. Also all the stuff above is good to know as well.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:25 am

I’ve been lucky I haven’t ever run into anyone on public that wasn’t a nice guy. Maybe it’s a MN nice thing. Most of the people I run into at the parking lot are younger guys I’m assuming are similar to myself
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:03 am

I head out very early for an evening hunt so typically if I notice somebody is already parked near my access I respect that and move on to Plan B rather than go in and booger up another guys set up. I would expect the same so always show that courtesy. Unfortunately sometimes you get a guy that comes busting in during the last hour of daylight. When that happens I obviously know I didn’t go deep enough to avoid that kind of disruption. I’m usually the first one in and the last one out after dark so a majority of the time I never have to deal with other hunters. I’m usually in the nastiest stuff around so that eliminates a lot of the fair weather easy access hunters.

When it comes to sharing info I keep my mouth shut. Learned a long time ago the nosey ones who pry for info are rarely going to be quiet about it or will actually try to capitalize on that info themselves. Too many people looking for free handouts and I’m not one to give it freely unless I know you well and build up some trust.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:55 am

Most hunters are pretty cool where I hunt. We generally talk and ask if they've seen anything or killed anything this year or not. Most, including me, are not hunting for any specific buck, so if I tell them where I've seen deer it's not like I'm giving away any secrets. Just figure, you're on public land, be friendly and do your best to not crowd other hunters and avoid general areas where you suspect they are hunting. Most of the time, you can't tell, but when one flags or waves at you, give them a thumbs up and avoid their area. Common sense. When other hunters don't give you the same courtesy, try not to get mad, get down and move to your plan B, C, D, or E spot. Your other option is to stay put and hope the hunter bumps them your way.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”