NC Public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nchunter1989

NC Public

Unread postby nchunter1989 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:25 am

Hey y’all,

Anyone here hunting Eastern NC public land? Been spending my time this season out in Bladen Co & feel like I’m getting my but handed to me. Focusing on getting in or near the swamps & edges, but just not seeing the movement I’ve expected.Have at least seen deer, 3 out of 5 sits so far, but no shot opportunities.

I am aware deer density may play into this, & also that once Gun season opens, the deer will most likely move into the “less” pressures area which may work out well for the still hunting, non dog areas.

MrT
500 Club

Re: NC Public

Unread postby MrT » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:59 am

I've turkey hunted down there a few times and never found great deer density, so what you're seeing sounds accurate. Not really any ag down there either and sandy soil can be hard to find fresh sign. Your best bet is doing what youve been doing and stay close to the swamps, lakes, and rivers and get on any acorns you can. PM me if you want more details and I can share some info that doesn't need to be on a search engine.
editingspace0

Unread postby editingspace0 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:19 am

It's a little late now and I wish I would have seen this sooner. Keep in mind before I say this that I haven't had much luck killing mature bucks, but I'm 1 doe away from being tagged out. I've had opportunities at bucks but goofed them up.

I've had success hunting food sources alongside the creek drainages and bottoms. There's actually less pressure than I thought and I dove way too deep in early season. I was seeing deer in wide open timber browsing on acorns. I adjusted my tactics and started getting on deer. That was early season (6 September - middle gun season).

Now that pressure is on from the gun hunters, the deer are concentrating their movements inside the thickets and not coming out. Because of my family schedule, I'm only allowed to hunt a few times a week and most of that is midday sits. I am seeing deer, mature bucks, does, and others pretty much every sit. They are in very thick cover and seem to not leave it. Last Sunday, I had deer within 30 yards but couldn't shoot because of the cover (I bow hunt only).

If you're reading the beast tactics of bed hunting and applying it early season here in eastern NC, you'll have very little success and see less deer. Early season, find the food sources adjacent to thickets. As the season progresses and pressure is applied, switch to hunting thickets and swamps where deer are comfortable moving in daylight hours.
editingspace0

Unread postby editingspace0 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:53 pm

There is also a lot of good information covered in the podcasts conducted by The Southern Outdoorsmen. For the most part, a lot of it is highly relatable to this region of NC.

Feel free to hit me up. I hunt military grounds primarily but I have a buddy that hunts the game lands here in NC and he may be able to provide some insight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”