Mid Day Camp Fire?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kdawg_901

Mid Day Camp Fire?

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 am

Coming up on my week long trip to the WI Northwoods. Our family rents a cabin about 15 min from the forest where we hunt so normally its all day in the tree or 15min there and 15min back for a mid day warm up. Add to this the place I access is a bit of a hike.

I was thinking this year it would be nice to have a little midday base camp. Does anyone else do this? Part of me is thinking just go back to the truck on the access and do a fire there, but part of me is thinking maybe I could stay in the woods and just get far enough from where Im hunting to hopefully not affect it.

Does anyone else do this? Do you have any tips and tricks?

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Mid Day Camp Fire?

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:30 am

A lot of guys have camp fires at lunch time. When hunting ME my uncle would do it every day.

There is no right or wrong - just be safe with the fire and make sure it is out before you head back into your stand.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:56 am

Might be illegal to start a fire on certain public lands outside designated fire pits like you would have in campgrounds. Check the local rules first to avoid issues.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:03 am

Not sure if it was legal but my dad used to sit on a bluff overlooking a river bottom with my great grandpa all week during gun season, and they always had a fire burning. Shot deer from that spot every year and it’s great for drives today.

I doubt it was legal but back then there was a lot of illegal things that were done. Some good stories as well about those.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Oceana

Unread postby Oceana » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:57 am

Echoing the sentiment of these posts above... legalities aside, sounds like a great way to spend the midday!

The deer don’t seem to mind and may even be curious. My dad told us stories of sitting next to a fire on some hills in Northern Michigan, and seeing plenty of deer.

Enjoy
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:42 am

For me it is a JetBoil flash and an Aeropress. They are very light and versatile.

With hot water you have lots of options:

Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, Ramen, Mountain House.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Thanks guys, I'll definitely check on the legality.
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:For me it is a JetBoil flash and an Aeropress. They are very light and versatile.

With hot water you have lots of options:

Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, Ramen, Mountain House.

Bob

Good call on the camp stove. I didn't realize they could be so small. I was able to find a starter set for about $30 burner, pot, & stabilizer. It'll be nice to have a hot drink and meal when I'm on deep.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:54 pm

kdawg_901 wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Good call on the camp stove. I didn't realize they could be so small. I was able to find a starter set for about $30 burner, pot, & stabilizer. It'll be nice to have a hot drink and meal when I'm on deep.

Fair warning. You will never know how you lived without it. :lol:

With the availability of cous-cous and instant rice you can go way beyond the basic freeze dried meals from Mountain House and Packit Gourmet and avoid the additives they use for long term freeze dried meals.

Here is a good link for some alternative homemade fare:

https://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go

For coffee drinkers Starbucks Via is one of the better instant coffees. They are still crappy to me so I carry the Aeropress to made some real coffee. It’s only a few ounces so it’s worth it to me.

For hot chocolate Land Of Lakes makes a great hot chocolate mix.

Fuel choice matters when it comes to cold temps. If it is really cold you may need to tuck the fuel canister in your jacket to warm it up. Once the stove is going there is enough radiated heat to keep the stove going. I have never had a problem using Jetboil and MSR fuel canisters.

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/11/whats-best-brand-of-gas-for-cold.html

If you weigh your brand new canisters, and write it on the bottom of the can, of fuel before you start using them you will be able to track the fuel level as you go. Just reweigh them and you will know how much fuel you have used. Then you can calculate the remaining fuel with a little subtraction.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:33 am

I was able to call the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest ranger station and get some info about camping. I thought Id pass it on in case it helps anyone else out.

You are allowed to camp and have a fire as long as your at least 75feet from the road and not on a currently used access trail. They said to make sure you ring your fire with rocks and after your done to disperse your rocks to leave a little trace as possible.

I think this will probably very by forest, but calling the ranger station sure helped me since the website wasnt super clear.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:05 am

Leave no trace rule. Which is nice. The gun hunt camp I hunted with back when I was kid would burn wood all day at their spots. Shot alot of deer standing next to Those fire pits but alot of those deer were running away from other hunters .
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”