Thoughts on where to start for a beast newb

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tricknick24

Thoughts on where to start for a beast newb

Unread postby tricknick24 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:06 am

So I got drawn for a piece of land that is basically like public land just a touch less pressure, it comprised of mainy hilly hardwood with some pines I am posting a pic of the topo to see if some of you vets could give some insight of some key areas I should check on my scout day before I get to hunt the way points marked are either rubs and scrape some old some new, also the black lines has my boundary surrounded .... thank you !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MedicineMan15

Re: Thoughts on where to start for a beast newb

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:40 am

Where's the food? Any agriculture? Or mostly pine with oaks mixed in?

Im liking the upper right part with the three points that fall off into the water, looks like you've marked rubs right down near the water. Might be tough to get in there, but that's where my eyes are drawn to right away.

Id be interested in hearing from some more experienced beasts on this one.

Could you post an aerial picture of the area as well?
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:36 pm

What dates will you be hunting? Vegetation/trees??

Another tip since this is your first post, run through the all time tactical threads you might find some info to help there as well
tricknick24

Unread postby tricknick24 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:19 am

Nov 18-23 and its all hardwoods and few pines not much vegetation. I have seen where they have been eating some tops off of briar patches. Let me work up and aerial photo sorry for the delay i have been busy lately!!
tricknick24

Unread postby tricknick24 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:22 am

MedicineMan15 wrote:Where's the food? Any agriculture? Or mostly pine with oaks mixed in?

Im liking the upper right part with the three points that fall off into the water, looks like you've marked rubs right down near the water. Might be tough to get in there, but that's where my eyes are drawn to right away.

Id be interested in hearing from some more experienced beasts on this one.

Could you post an aerial picture of the area as well?

Thanks for the insight , those point running in have some killer trails , i checked thermals its going to be a tough spot to get into , but I’m looking at some more options i may be able to sneak into there later today i will be able to post an arerial.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:24 am

What are your typical wind directions during the time frame you plan to hunt it?

Also is the top of your map true north?

Can you also post topo and aerial pics without all your scouting waypoints? (Gets a little busy with all the markers)
tricknick24

Unread postby tricknick24 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:54 pm

backstraps wrote:What are your typical wind directions during the time frame you plan to hunt it?

Also is the top of your map true north?

Can you also post topo and aerial pics without all your scouting waypoints? (Gets a little busy with all the markers)

yes that is true north , most of the average winds this time of year are NW and switch to SE north carolina likes to leave us hanging on wind pretty often. below is a topo without the way points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”