Any websites/apps for wind history

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mathews94

Any websites/apps for wind history

Unread postby Mathews94 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:27 am

I figured I’d ask in this forum because a lot of activity here, but would anyone know a website app to go back and look at history of the wind ? I got a public land buck that only shows about ever 5 days or so so I’m curious as to is he’s moving only on that wind

Maverick1

Re: Any websites/apps for wind history

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:22 am

There sure is. I have used the Iowa State Mesonet site for creating wind roses and determining the predominant wind direction in any given month (September, October, November, December usually). One of the better features is the ability to make a custom wind rose by date and location, which might provide you the information you are looking for in regards to that specific buck.

Below is a link to a custom wind rose for 10/1-10/25 at the State College station. You can change the dates to look at a single date, and you can change your location to another weather station. You didn't specify your exact location other than central PA, so I selected the State College station....you can pick another location if that is closer to where you are hunting. Good luck! Hopefully this helps you out tonight, since you can't go out tomorrow.....

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/sites/dyn_windrose.phtml?station=UNV&network=PA_ASOS&bin0=2&bin1=5&bin2=7&bin3=10&bin4=15&bin5=20&units=mph&nsector=36&fmt=png&dpi=100&year1=2019&month1=10&day1=1&hour1=12&minute1=0&year2=2019&month2=10&day2=25&hour2=12&minute2=0
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:30 am

I believe Windfinder may be what you are looking for.

It is discussed within the first 2 minutes of this great video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sr0w4_HiMVg#
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:40 am

NOAA
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Mathews94

Unread postby Mathews94 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:16 am

Maverick1 wrote:There sure is. I have used the Iowa State Mesonet site for creating wind roses and determining the predominant wind direction in any given month (September, October, November, December usually). One of the better features is the ability to make a custom wind rose by date and location, which might provide you the information you are looking for in regards to that specific buck.

Below is a link to a custom wind rose for 10/1-10/25 at the State College station. You can change the dates to look at a single date, and you can change your location to another weather station. You didn't specify your exact location other than central PA, so I selected the State College station....you can pick another location if that is closer to where you are hunting. Good luck! Hopefully this helps you out tonight, since you can't go out tomorrow.....

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/sites/dyn_windrose.phtml?station=UNV&network=PA_ASOS&bin0=2&bin1=5&bin2=7&bin3=10&bin4=15&bin5=20&units=mph&nsector=36&fmt=png&dpi=100&year1=2019&month1=10&day1=1&hour1=12&minute1=0&year2=2019&month2=10&day2=25&hour2=12&minute2=0

Fantastic Mav, I’m actually in Philipsburgh PA and state college is probably the closest to me. I appreciate the help in finding a site very much appreciated. And I know what you mean, rain tonight oh well still gotta go since we’re still in the Stone Age of not being able to hunt on Sunday’s.
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:42 pm

stash59 wrote:NOAA

This is the best one I’ve found
eazyduzit94

Unread postby eazyduzit94 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:30 pm

I use Weather Underground
If shooting 130's was a sport, I'd have a gold medal.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:56 am

Mathews94 wrote:I figured I’d ask in this forum because a lot of activity here, but would anyone know a website app to go back and look at history of the wind ? I got a public land buck that only shows about ever 5 days or so so I’m curious as to is he’s moving only on that wind

You can download what are called "wind rose" graphs for various time periods (shows distribution of wind direction and speed) for larger weather stations.

I believe it was from NOAA or National Weather Service. Google wind rose plots or wind rose graphs and start digging.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”