Looking into going on a out of state hunt

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Derril Glen
Facebook: Derril Glen Blanchard

Looking into going on a out of state hunt

Unread postby Derril Glen » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:22 am

I need some opinions on going hunting some public land out of state. I'm from Louisiana and have never been on a out of state hunt. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated I'm thinking either kansas or Illinois so if you have any opinions or advice please tell me I need to know the name of some public land to so I can start looking into it

Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows, and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3
backstraps

Re: Looking into going on a out of state hunt

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:00 am

Both the states you mentioned are great choices

I have friends new New Orleans that hunt in Southern MO every year with good luck

Choose a state and hit up their website
Each state list all their public lands online

Good luck
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:20 am

Nebraska and North Dakota are on my list but I also like Backstraps MO recommendation as well. But if I was choosing between Kansas and Illinois, I would personally choose Kansas.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:23 am

With all due respect, if the place is getting named on an open public forum, you don't want to go there.

Find a good region with trophy buck potential and get away from the population areas.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:27 am

thwack16 wrote:With all due respect, if the place is getting named on an open public forum, you don't want to go there.
Find a good region with trophy buck potential and get away from the population areas.

X2
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:45 am

thwack16 wrote:With all due respect, if the place is getting named on an open public forum, you don't want to go there.

How are we defining "region"?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 am

NorthStar wrote:

How are we defining "region"?

It probably varies for everyone, but I'd define a "region" on an out of state hunting trip as anything within a 2-hour driving distance of where I intended to stay.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:22 am

Figuring out which pieces of public land to focus on is about 70-80% of the work for an out of state hunt. Once you find the good ground it’s easy street from there.

So having said that I doubt many are going to answer you with actual names of public land if they are truly good.

Figure out which section of either state has the deer numbers/terrain you wish to hunt and has public land available in that area and go from there.

Check out the dnr sites for each state. Pay for onX or basemap subscriptions. Do your due diligence, there is fantastic ground in both of those states there is also public land that isn’t worth the gas money to drive there let alone the price of the tag. Go out there, have an adventure figuring it all out, it is worth the time and money investment if you love this style of hunting.

Good luck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:01 am

I think something good to consider first is be honest about what your goals are for this hunt, what time of year are you going, and what type of weapon do you want to use. This may influence where you want to go.
Something you may want to consider also is picking somewhere close to your home base so that you could possibly go for a weekend or two this winter and again in the summer to scout. This would increase your odds of success dramatically.

As far as names of public land in that state, I think you are better off doing your own research there once you pick a state. Plenty of online resources for you to cyberscout and you can look at the harvest maps to see what counties/regions in that state have the best trophy potential, deer harvest, etc.
Derril Glen
Facebook: Derril Glen Blanchard

Unread postby Derril Glen » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:53 pm

PK_ wrote:Figuring out which pieces of public land to focus on is about 70-80% of the work for an out of state hunt. Once you find the good ground it’s easy street from there.

So having said that I doubt many are going to answer you with actual names of public land if they are truly good.

Figure out which section of either state has the deer numbers/terrain you wish to hunt and has public land available in that area and go from there.

Check out the dnr sites for each state. Pay for onX or basemap subscriptions. Do your due diligence, there is fantastic ground in both of those states there is also public land that isn’t worth the gas money to drive there let alone the price of the tag. Go out there, have an adventure figuring it all out, it is worth the time and money investment if you love this style of hunting.

Good luck.

Thank you for that
Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows, and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”