Question for the veteran public hunters

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

heartdart

Question for the veteran public hunters

Unread postby heartdart » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:50 pm

Sorry for the long post, but I really value you guys on this forum. I have been debating/conflicted posting about this for a while. Here goes……… I want to start out by saying that I understand from what some of you have stated that in some cases it takes 2 or 3 seasons of hunting this way before someone kills a buck on public land. (This is why I have been debating discussing my issue with you all because maybe that is the answer.) My third season of hunting public land is drawing to a close, and I have not killed a deer on public land. I’ll be honest. It is bothering me. I am thankful to God that all of my needs are met/me and my families health is good, and that this trivial thing is the only thing bothering me lately. I started bow hunting 11 years ago, and I have had no trouble killing deer(big bucks included) on private land. After the 2016 season, I asked myself, “Is this how it will always be? Do I just rotate stands and hope I get lucky?” The 2017 season started, and I decided to “bounce around” as I had done the first few years of bow hunting. I always found that to work. I also decided I wanted to try public land. Then, just like countless guys, I began listening to podcasts and searching for help online. I listened to a wired to hunt with Dan as a guest. He talked about hunting by the parking lot. I figured I should try that since I had zero scouting done( I had never scouted before this time). I saw a big buck the first time I tried this on public land. Two weeks later I tried it again on a different WMA, and I saw another big buck. I was convinced that the tactics discussed here would work. Corn is king in my state, and this is the only place where I could learn about hunting a different way. The 2017 season ended, and I did not kill a deer. This was the first season that that happened. I started scouting. During the 2018 season, I passed on countless small bucks and does. I was under the impression that large deer were in the area. I killed some does on private ground before the season ended. I scouted a lot in the spring of 2019. I found out at the first of the 2019 season that dogs were used during the gun season at the previous years spot. I ditched that place, and I focused on a different place. So this season went down like this…… I sat 32 times. I saw 63 deer on three different public places and one private. 39 were bucks. 4 of which were really big. I sat the private only 5 times. I killed a doe and a buck during that time on private. I missed a buck on public. I had a different big buck at 10 yards, but he was facing me. He booked because he ended up seeing me or smelling me. I saw a different big buck a week later, but he was in a thicket. I could not shoot. I had another big buck bust me as I was climbing another day. Finally, I set up based on sign, and I had a big buck pass at 60 yards. This has been an amazing year as far as “ALMOST”. I have never seen so many big bucks, and I actually saw 3 bucks stand up out of their beds. One of which was the buck at ten yards. So here is the question or thing bugging me….Does it get better? As in, early on did this happen to you guys. Then shot opportunities got better? I am not whining or asking for a pat on the back about my sightings. It just has bothered me that I’m just out of reach when it comes to closing the deal on public. I had a mentor of mine (who I really look up to) say, “If you want to kill them here, you got to use corn. You may be lucky to shoot 3 on public in 20 years in this state.” I know that’s not true, but I do have a little ugly thought in the back of my mind that pops up sometimes that gives me doubt.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Question for the veteran public hunters

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:12 pm

Success will look different in this style.
But I ask you,
if these sightings are not a fluke ; what will you have after 4,5,6 years of doing this?
As opposed to doing the corn and private thing?

Personally, I have fewer kills since 2014 when I found the Beast. And it's hard. Physically and mentally. I am happy that the mature, cagey bucks are hard to kill. Much respect for them. The buck hanging on my wall has given his life and some of his secrets I will never forget.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:35 pm

I’d be happy if I were you. You’re in the game now it’s just refining what you’re doing. You know where they bed now tweak your approach tree choice, if you’re using a tree and set up. Keep working hard and it’ll happen.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:44 pm

matt1336 wrote:I’d be happy if I were you. You’re in the game now it’s just refining what you’re doing. You know where they bed now tweak your approach tree choice, if you’re using a tree and set up. Keep working hard and it’ll happen.

I agree with this.

To the OP I will say sometimes some years things just don't go your way. I would look at it as a success though as you are figuring things out and getting on deer.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:18 pm

You're in the ballpark, now you have to get to the plate. In some rare cases I think guys get right into a primo spot on new ground, but I think more often the process looks like: cyber scouting>boots on the ground>hunting>adjust>boots on the ground>hunt>hunt>kill. There could be a few seasons invested to get to the last part.

Sounds like you had a fair number of good encounters. Here's where I think the real "magic bullet" of beast hunting comes into play. Next year, hunt the same spots you had the best encounters this year at the same time of the year (assuming similar mast, crops, food, etc). Then mix in the best spots you find spring scouting in 2020. I think, for me, I'd like to be hunting about 50/50 proven spots vs. prospect spots. Inevitably, over the course of the next 2-3 seasons, you will accumulate more and higher quality proven spots, and you will get a better feel for prospect spots because you will be more experienced at scouting and hunting and have more past experiences to draw on about what you see while scouting and how it relates to what you see during hunting season.

If you work hard, pay attention, and ask a lot of "why was the buck here?" type of questions, you will inevitably start knocking them down consistently. Sounds like you are on the right track already.

P.S. I think detailed notes, GPS log, insert system that works for you, is CRITICAL to shortening the learning curve and being successful consistently.
heartdart

Unread postby heartdart » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:57 pm

But I ask you,
if these sightings are not a fluke ; what will you have after 4,5,6 years of doing this?
As opposed to doing the corn and private thing?

Exactly! Thank you! Yeah, I don't use corn on private, but it's not pressured. Public is so much more fun.
Keep working hard and it’ll happen.

Awesome. I needed that.
To the OP I will say sometimes some years things just don't go your way. I would look at it as a success though as you are figuring things out and getting on deer.

My wife tells me the same. She doesn't hunt, but has wise words at times like, " Ya can't control where they're walking! You're choosing to bow hunt on public. That's hard!" LOL!
opic review: Question for the veteran public hunters
Post by seazofcheeze » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:18 pm

You're in the ballpark, now you have to get to the plate. In some rare cases I think guys get right into a primo spot on new ground, but I think more often the process looks like: cyber scouting>boots on the ground>hunting>adjust>boots on the ground>hunt>hunt>kill. There could be a few seasons invested to get to the last part.

Sounds like you had a fair number of good encounters. Here's where I think the real "magic bullet" of beast hunting comes into play. Next year, hunt the same spots you had the best encounters this year at the same time of the year (assuming similar mast, crops, food, etc). Then mix in the best spots you find spring scouting in 2020. I think, for me, I'd like to be hunting about 50/50 proven spots vs. prospect spots. Inevitably, over the course of the next 2-3 seasons, you will accumulate more and higher quality proven spots, and you will get a better feel for prospect spots because you will be more experienced at scouting and hunting and have more past experiences to draw on about what you see while scouting and how it relates to what you see during hunting season.

If you work hard, pay attention, and ask a lot of "why was the buck here?" type of questions, you will inevitably start knocking them down consistently. Sounds like you are on the right track already.

P.S. I think detailed notes, GPS log, insert system that works for you, is CRITICAL to shortening the learning curve and being successful consistently.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks!

Thank you all. I'm thankful for a place to post where I can get constructive feedback!
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:35 pm

One thing to remember is if it was easy it wouldn't be fun. Many on here are expert level hunters, and they have years they strike out. I'm not an expert by any means, and I've had years in between bucks on the ground.

You're in the game and I think that's the hardest part. Stick with it and you'll learn to embrace the extra work. It makes it that much better when you connect.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:31 pm

I agree with what has been said by the others. I’d say you’re doing very well!

Keep a positive attitude (everyone gets frustrated here and there, don’t worry about it), keep scouting, and good things will happen. The struggle makes success all the sweeter.

Lastly, if you’re questioning something, start a thread. (If you dig through the archives you’ll find tons of questions from people who are now veteran Beasts. PredatorTC for example... he used to start tons of threads asking questions. Look what he accomplishes now. Just some food for thought...)
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:41 am

Agree with all the above and will add - success is in the eyes of the beholder. I get a ton of satisfaction running trail cameras and getting monster on film. Or using them to track that buck down to his bedding. I have had those feelings when arrowing an older buck that many would let walk by. I documented a hunt in my journal a few decades back where I chased a really nice buck for multiple seasons and then passed him when i had the chance because i was in position to kill him but didn't have to. As far as i know that buck died that winter in the MT wilderness and yet to this day that is probably my favorite and most successful (In my eyes) pursuit of a mature buck i have ever had.

I believe in the stages of a hunter and there are no hard lines when we transitions (and sometimes we go back and forth through them) so in reality only you can say what will make it successful for you. As to the question will it always be like this - that depends 100% on you and what i will add is that can change in the mind or on the ground - the choice will always be yours.

Have fun and Shoot Straight

DT
heartdart

Unread postby heartdart » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:47 am

One thing to remember is if it was easy it wouldn't be fun

I am definitely having a large time hunting this way. I'm having more fun than the first few years of hunting strictly private!

If you dig through the archives you’ll find tons of questions from people who are now veteran Beasts

Thanks. I have found more information here by digging instead of starting threads. I'm always afraid I'm going to post something that has already been addressed. I need to get over that

so in reality only you can say what will make it successful for you.

Dave, I really appreciate your words of wisdom, and I'm really excited about your YouTube scouting videos that are coming out. I'm just east of you, and your lake video is really helpful. I look forward to seeing more of those.

Thank y'all again!
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:45 am

If you watched bucks rise from their beds, you were successful. Measuring success only by the kill is going to end in a lot of disappointment on public land. Measure your success in what you learned, what can you change for next year, and I hope you can say you learned several things from being that close and not closing the deal. Maybe you go too close, were too loud; climbed to high into the skyline.

How pressured was the private you were hunting compared the the public? Was there better food sources, better cover? Find what made you successful on private ground and apply it to the public land because deer can’t read posted signs. Deer read the pressure and adjust based on food, water, and cover available. You should be able to hunt this way on any piece of property in the country as the deer are no different, some just get bigger racks. It’s all based on the pressure in their environment and what they have to eat, drink, and sleep in and how all those factors interact. Keep it up, it will happen.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:06 am

treeroot wrote:One thing to remember is if it was easy it wouldn't be fun. Many on here are expert level hunters, and they have years they strike out. I'm not an expert by any means, and I've had years in between bucks on the ground.

You're in the game and I think that's the hardest part. Stick with it and you'll learn to embrace the extra work. It makes it that much better when you connect.

X2 Wilford!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:38 am

My public buck this year was my first since 2015.
He will score in the 130’s and was shot on a tough to hunt public piece.

I started out hunting public and transitioned to private as my friends and I had the means to do so.

At 50 I am now back mostly on public but still have some private access.

Sits on public are different and I usually see less deer. I’m ok with that as I am seeing mostly bucks. I key in on rut funnels and cruising near doe bedding areas. I don’t hunt a lot of early season as my main public piece is closed to hunting until Oct 15th. Any early season hunting is focused on oaks and crops on private and public with bedding in mind. My best spot this year was a funnel on public 100 yards off the road and right next to heavily traveled horse paths. I deal with some interruptions there but the deer don’t mind the horses and their riders and they actually walk the paths.

I killed my buck at another spot late in the rut about a 1/2 mile in as he stepped out of a scrape he had just worked. It was much harder to get to but better later due to early season pressure.

The biggest thing I learned here on the Beast is to kill good bucks on public you have to stay mobile and scout during the season to find the best sign.

You sound like you are on the right track just understand most of the time you will have to work harder and smarter and have more sits to kill a good buck on public.

Good luck
heartdart

Unread postby heartdart » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:53 am

Measuring success only by the kill is going to end in a lot of disappointment on public land. Measure your success in what you learned, what can you change for next year, and I hope you can say you learned several things from being that close and not closing the deal.

This is great advice! Thanks!

You sound like you are on the right track just understand most of the time you will have to work harder and smarter and have more sits to kill a good buck on public.

Will do! Thanks!
TripleD

Unread postby TripleD » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:01 pm

I do not call myself a expert on public by any means, but you are into them. Keep working hard and it will come together. Some of my proudest bucks on the wall aren't the biggest, but I am by far more proud of them as I did it the hard way on public. Enjoy the journey man, that's what it is truly about.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”