Mast year?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Mast year?

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:24 am

Huntress13 wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:Every year is a mast year for me I guess. I have yet to hunt a season and not find white oaks that were slam full with acorns.

Now that said I'm not talking every tree, and honestly I hope I never see a season like that, that would be too much food source and make it nearly impossible too pin down the X trees.

This is what I was wondering. There is one property I hunt that is full of oaks. And I wondered which area to target early, if they all hold food in a mast year, the deer could be anywhere and you'd be pushing them all over just walking in to a spot. I would assume they would then just mostly be hanging around the areas closest to their bedding areas?

Not all white oaks are equal. There are always preferred trees. White oaks in security cover seem to always get a preference and sometimes I think that it’s just the flavor of the acorn. I think that it might have something to do with the soil but IDK for sure.

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:35 am

Huntress13 wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:Every year is a mast year for me I guess. I have yet to hunt a season and not find white oaks that were slam full with acorns.

Now that said I'm not talking every tree, and honestly I hope I never see a season like that, that would be too much food source and make it nearly impossible too pin down the X trees.

This is what I was wondering. There is one property I hunt that is full of oaks. And I wondered which area to target early, if they all hold food in a mast year, the deer could be anywhere and you'd be pushing them all over just walking in to a spot. I would assume they would then just mostly be hanging around the areas closest to their bedding areas?

Yeah- I would say find white oaks that are dropping near heavy cover- which is in turn is usually close to bedding. Call it a transition from bedding to food if you will. Make sure there are trails going in and out of the cover though. Hit it for an evening hunt
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:51 am

Here is a question for you guys. Have you ever had acorns dropping this early?

Put up some cameras on a parcel and noticed acorns were dropping already. Ive heard oaks will drop acorns early because of stress but they are usually green. These ones arent from what I could tell. The acorns look to be red oak. Has anyone ever had them drop early or seeing them drop early this year?
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:44 am

HuntingParadise wrote:Here is a question for you guys. Have you ever had acorns dropping this early?

Put up some cameras on a parcel and noticed acorns were dropping already. Ive heard oaks will drop acorns early because of stress but they are usually green. These ones arent from what I could tell. The acorns look to be red oak. Has anyone ever had them drop early or seeing them drop early this year?

Yeah I've been noticing some dropping about a week ago up here in Michigan. Mainly Red Oaks looks like.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:53 am

MichiganMike wrote:
HuntingParadise wrote:Here is a question for you guys. Have you ever had acorns dropping this early?

Yeah I've been noticing some dropping about a week ago up here in Michigan. Mainly Red Oaks looks like.

Same. Seen some red dropping, but several stands of burr oaks were not. Haven’t been back into my honey holes with white oaks to see what they’re doing.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:39 am

No acorns this year by me. West central Wisconsin

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”