Public Land Confrontation

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Re: Public Land Confrontation

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:32 pm

I have learned it is best to become a ghost.

Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm

oldrank wrote:I have learned it is best to become a ghost.

I agree.
It’s Entertaining to think of ways to show someone like that up, however, more pride will be taken out of slipping in unnoticed, getting the job done and slipping back out. It’s that the whole point anyway?
Ryan
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:39 am

Hate it when folks pull stunts like that and it is getting more and more common - bullies. It's public - get over it.

Depends on what he said but a call to LEO is not out of order and could help build a case if someone messes with your stuff. Maybe you have a picture of his vehicle? That's always handy if it has the license plate or some other identifying features.

Down here I've been threatened a handful of times. Always carry.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:43 am

Ryan549 wrote:Now I want to hunt this area even more.

......and drag a monster buck by one of his trail cams. :lol:

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
SILhunter

Unread postby SILhunter » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:39 am

Funny that this subject came up today as I went and scouted some public ground yesterday about a hour away, nothing happened but the parking lot is pretty sketchy, last time I was there someone had dumped some mattress's and trash, four wheeler tracks on the federal land all over. Kinda just waiting for one of the locals to be there when I get back one of these days, anyway the best solution I came up with in my head was to tell them they can deal with me hunting it a couple times a year or I can post what a great spot it is on all the websites and facebook sites I'm on and see how many out of stater's can fit in that parking lot?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:31 am

SILhunter wrote:Funny that this subject came up today as I went and scouted some public ground yesterday about a hour away, nothing happened but the parking lot is pretty sketchy, last time I was there someone had dumped some mattress's and trash, four wheeler tracks on the federal land all over. Kinda just waiting for one of the locals to be there when I get back one of these days, anyway the best solution I came up with in my head was to tell them they can deal with me hunting it a couple times a year or I can post what a great spot it is on all the websites and facebook sites I'm on and see how many out of stater's can fit in that parking lot?

:lol: :lol: That is sweet right there lol
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 am

This is why it is important to have many options... I would do as others have recommended and find out where his stand is and how he accesses it then just work around him. Could be a great spot, could be garbage, especially if he’s over hunting it. Most average guys will have one or 2 stands and hunt them every day of the season and take the same route in and out. This can be exploited to your advantage if you do your homework scouting. I used to me more of a hothead in these situations but if you are trying to beat someone to “his” spot it’s easy to lose sight of why you are hunting in the first place.
TNhunter80

Unread postby TNhunter80 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:19 am

Thankfully all my experiences have been good with people on public land. I'm sure NY is far more restrictive but anytime I am in the woods I am open carrying as well.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:46 am

Maybe its a "Minnesota nice" thing, but luckily I have never run into this issue. I usually only run into younger guys that are pretty cool - Probably cause I go in early and come out late. And also cause I use a lot of water access to avoid walking by people. Probably best to become a ghost like someone else said.

If you get dropped off and this guy is a poacher he may think he has the land to himself that day to exploit and do illegal things. Not the time you want to run into someone like that...
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:05 am

I have never run into this problem as well. But I also hunt spots with relatively low pressure. When I do run into people, they are generally cordial. I am sure I will have my moment sooner or later.

I feel like I have picked up on a few things from this post to be prepared and this is what I love about the Beast!

- Find out where he is hunting and use this to your advantage
- Stay tight lipped about encounters and kills
- Trail cam over the truck is genius but not allowed in Minnesota
- Sweep the leg!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
TNhunter80

Unread postby TNhunter80 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:27 am

I mainly hunt private right now, but I have never had issues on the public grounds close either. Maybe it's because I open carry. IDK. If you like the area, hunt it. Most men that run that trap are nothing more than hot air!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:45 am

Hawthorne wrote:Sounds like hunter harassment. I don’t have time for that stuff unless the sign is there then I might be sneaky

I like to push it in the opposite directions, ignore their harassment and do a little of my own by hanging some deer balls in a tree by their stands. All in good fun of course. :lol:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:02 am

headgear wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Sounds like hunter harassment. I don’t have time for that stuff unless the sign is there then I might be sneaky

I like to push it in the opposite directions, ignore their harassment and do a little of my own by hanging some deer balls in a tree by their stands. All in good fun of course. :lol:

Right on :D
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:37 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Next time

"Do you have a problem with that!?"

"Mmnnno Sensei"
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:17 pm

Country wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Next time

"Do you have a problem with that!?"

"Mmnnno Sensei"

No sensai
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”