Camping on public in Wi

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wesfromwi

Camping on public in Wi

Unread postby wesfromwi » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:56 pm

I had been thinking the past few months about camping out on these large stretches of public land in northern Wi. Curious if anyone has has done this style of hunting like “out west”.

Thanks!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Camping on public in Wi

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:11 pm

Pretty sure most property in Wisconsin thats illegal on...
JustinP

Unread postby JustinP » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 pm

Some area are open to dispersed camping, some are not.

You will need to do your research to stay on the right side of the law.

Every county has different rules about county public land use, some require a camping permit, some probably don't allow it at all.
MFL lands, camping is not allowed.
State land will vary parcel to parcel.
So yes it can be done, but it requires some legwork ahead of time to keep yourself out of trouble and not pi$$ anybody off.
wesfromwi

Unread postby wesfromwi » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:56 am

Thanks for the heads up guys. I know where I would like to give it a go it is allowed with a permit for around $20 (annual). Biggest part to contend with is no open fires. While a jetboil has me covered there it sure is nice to sit down and watch some flames after a day in the woods.
JustinP

Unread postby JustinP » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:13 am

There are some great opportunities available, and even with rules to deal with it still beats staying in a campground by a long shot.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:31 pm

I have done it in the past. Most National Forest lands allow camping. Some County Forests do also. Check each counties website. But not every county has County Forest lands. You need to check out the regs for the State Forests. I think some areas allow camping. Others don't. I personally have never seen any DNR owned lands, different designation than SF, designated hunting and or fishing areas. That allowed overnight use. Some areas have tons of privately owned timber and or paper company lands. I think some may be open to camping. But you'd need to find out ownership. And find out their rules from them on the camping. Most allow hunting by way of the Forest Crop Land tax break initiative. Or whatever it's called.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:40 pm

I was able to do so last year in a National Forest. One thing I'll add is sometimes the websites are not very clear and a phone call to the ranger station can help you get some quick answers.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”