Public land trail cam use inquiry

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tricospinner

Public land trail cam use inquiry

Unread postby tricospinner » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:07 am

I’m just wondering what the popularity of trail cams is among the rest of the readers here in HB.. I have a cam that I bought a few yrs ago for the intent of finding deer, but I never did set it up. I think a primary reason is bc I find it sort of invasive to privacy..and kind of cheating when it comes to locating deer (I’m talking about heavily pressured land) not private land.
if I put up a camera somewhere on public land, that leads me to wonder how many other people have also hid a trail cameras. I go to the woods partly to escape, not to end up on someone’s memory card- especially if I’m taking a pee in the woods and there might be a camera posted somewhere inconspicuous recording me. Secondly there’s the theft rate on public land -another reason I didn’t put mine out..
I’m also a girl- and that may have some influence on why I feel the way I do...it’s the vulnerability factor I guess. I see the trail cams getting smaller each year-which means the demand for them is rising and more people are buying them. sooner or later no one will have any privacy in the woods. I don’t know if trail cams are allowed on public land (MN) during the hunting season-

I do however believe cameras are appropriate and necessary for hunting black bear. usually people don’t go to the remote spots bears do and it would be impossible to know for sure if your bait station is getting hit by either a bear or raccoons.. what are your thoughts?

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Public land trail cam use inquiry

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:20 am

You have very good and valid points. especially on the invasion of privacy and theft. its definitely a risk. I dont get too crazy with them myself and hang them all over. I have a few just to check spots im not sure about to see if a good buck is in the area. I only started using cameras maybe 3 years ago. I rely more on physically scouting/checking for tracks, finding bedding to food, and sign coming in and out of those areas etc. I can usually tell if a good buck is around or not off of that.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:33 pm

It’s like the Wild West out there. Watch out for those cameras
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:44 pm

I use em all the time. I buy cheap ones and place them where i like. Some get stolen some dont. Not sure i would say cheating just another tool like using a rifle vs a bow.
Still do lots of scouting so the cameras aren't replacing that. They don't put themselves out in the woods.

If you think they are cheating for deer then im not sure why it is not cheating for bear???
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:08 pm

I wouldn't call it cheating really. You know deer are there because of sign. The camera is giving you inventory more than exact location. You don’t hang a camera just anywhere. It will be on a trail, transition, something.

I do agree that I don’t want to be on a camera, peeing or not.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:41 pm

If this will help reassure you, almost everyone on this site uses cameras in hopes of NOT seeing anyone.

One of mine was on Illinois public from winter until late Sept and did have ONE person.
Having the photos of the changing landscape from season to season was awesome. The day by day change after a major rain event on the narrow ditch is a good example.
IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:55 am

What public lands can you run cameras on in mn? I know they don't want em on federal wma/wpa. They gave the cameras back after calling the number on the card they left in its place...
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
Bowstring

Unread postby Bowstring » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:48 am

Trail cameras are ridiculous...Can't even go into the woods now a days without someone taking your picture...How about we use the camera after we kill the deer????
MIbuckslayer

Unread postby MIbuckslayer » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:45 am

I don’t think it’s cheating. It’s not giving you the deers full movement pattern just a glimpse of it. Just like your bow an stand, it’s another tool in your . When I’m out in the woods these days I’m always scanning the forest floor an in the tree for cameras. Most people now a days put them 6 to 10ft. up in the trees to avoid theft. Always pay attention of your surroundings when taking a pee! Lol
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:01 am

I've found the trail camera to be a very useful and time saving tool. I only hang a camera where I have found deer sign. I like to hunt big bucks, so by having a picture of the particular buck that's leaving that sign I can determine whether to invest my hunting time there or in another location.

There are many other observations to be made, but that's probably the main one for me.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:12 pm

Perhaps the folks placing the cameras are more afraid of you peeing in front of the camera than you are :lol:
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
tricospinner

Unread postby tricospinner » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks for everyone’s reply. It’s just food for thought. I learned the dnr changed their regs in June this year and TCs are now allowed on Public land that is owned by the dnr and is not special use property- like parking lots, hiking trails, out houses etc. great I think, Now everyone is going to be putting up a camera. Hopefully not. Well, it’s nothing I can stop and not sure if I would want to anyway bc part of me wants me to post a camera- just to see wildlife. HOWEVER...If you hunt in MN and have placed a camera on huntable dnr land- PLEASE put it somewhere inconspicuous and take it down when you’re done...
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:23 pm

That may be a good reason not to pee on scrapes. My cameras are on scrapes right now.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
mbarthelemy

Unread postby mbarthelemy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:51 am

I use cheap trail cams on public land with no issues so far. I doubt anyone puts a TC on public in hopes of catching a fellow hunter using the timber toilet. I only leave my cams up for a week typically. I dont want anyone to know there is something in the area worth camming. ethically i dont see an issue with using them...ive put in WAY more effort into placing and retrieving cams, which usually turns into extended scouting session vs, just going out on opener and winging it. privacy on public land? that is kind of a contradiction... its open game out there sister.
Swampman

Unread postby Swampman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:52 am

I just read through the 2020 Minnesota hunting regulations. I do not see anywhere that says trail cameras are allowed on public lands. I did find that trail cameras can NOT be left overnight on WMAs or Federal lands in Minnesota. NOT

The State Forest regulations say that any personal property left for 14 days is considered abandoned property. I guess in reading that it appears you may be able to leave a trail camera on state forest land up to 13 days but in another section of the rules it states personal property must be removed. I would definitely want to consult with the local Conservation Officer before I left a trail camera on state forest lands in MN.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”