Hunting the wind

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Massbuck

Hunting the wind

Unread postby Massbuck » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:37 pm

This is the bedding area I started hunting. The tree I'm In is overlooking those cattail. I'm hunting out of a tree that is directly at the bottom of a steep embankment I would say 30 feet high. I'm downwind from the cattails. My question is how does the wind react to a steep embankment directly behind you. And I mean the trunk of the tree is literally in the bottom of the embankment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Massbuck on Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Massbuck

Re: Hunting the wind

Unread postby Massbuck » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:40 pm

Here's . 2 rubs I found I'm hunting out of a saddle had a mature doe 15yds away my first day in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:16 pm

I think it depends how strong of a wind there is and how high you are. But most likely some is going straight over the hill and some of your wind is getting pushed down along the face of the hill. I have noticed this alot when hunting big drainage ditches the wind doesn't have be the exact wind you need just has to have alittle bit in your direction and it will blow your scent right up the ditch behind you. Because the steep banks funnel it. Just like water hitting a embakement or rock. Some is gonna go over the top but alot is gonna go to the side it is pushed by wind direction.
Nick grider

Unread postby Nick grider » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:40 pm

Does the embankment come up in elevation on the other side? Making a sort of bowl? If that’s the case, that bowl will be very hard to hunt because the wind will be whipping around in there like a blender. If not, then the leeward side of the embankment will more than likely make a funnel in a slight wind day.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:58 pm

Rising and dropping thermals is probably what your gonna gave to worry about.
Wind will swirl in little open areas especially these areas within tall trees.
Ive seen too many times The wind goes over the top of the opening and creates like a suction. Swirling the wind everywhere. Its like hunting a small bowl or low area within the woods. Everything seems to drain into it. Water, wind, thermals.
In small areas within trees ive felt wind come from one side then actually bounce off the other side and go back to where it came from. Like a dam pin ball.
I live in super flat country and i know hill country is a tad different but i know when im looking at any areas i look at it and try to see how or where if i poured water on it i try to figure out where its all gonna flow too.
Like pouring water into a funnel

https://youtu.be/B-g8EY-1dPE
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:14 am

A lot of times the wind will hit an obstacle behind you, go up and roll over the top of you and redirect out in front of you. Or like Buck Psych said- it can swirl. Be careful of that. From some research and theories I read- its called a convection current. Same scenario as a big wave hitting an obstacle or a wall. I see it on Lake Michigan all the time. Some of the residual from the impact directs away from the obstacle for a short period.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:54 am

Drop some milkweed and find out. I've found there are no hard and fast rules. There are many different variables that can make every spot unique.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:52 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:Drop some milkweed and find out. I've found there are no hard and fast rules. There are many different variables that can make every spot unique.

Well said! milkweed pisses me off sometimes. You think you have it figured out and have a good spot- then milkweed tells you otherwise when you get up the tree. haha
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:31 am

Drop milkweed as you climb. Sometimes you can go up or down the tree and it can change where the majority is going.
Massbuck

Unread postby Massbuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:19 am

Can't find milkweed
Massbuck

Unread postby Massbuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:20 am

Can't find milkweed
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:13 pm

A spot I hunt has a cattail marsh at the bottom of a hill. The thermals tend to pull the scent out over the cattails. But as mentioned, every situation is different. It may be the size of the marsh can play into that, how much water is in it, temps, etc.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:41 pm

MichiganMike wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:Drop some milkweed and find out. I've found there are no hard and fast rules. There are many different variables that can make every spot unique.

Well said! milkweed pisses me off sometimes. You think you have it figured out and have a good spot- then milkweed tells you otherwise when you get up the tree. haha

Lol so true!! Milkweed is almost always different then the forecasted wind direction lol
KPillinois

Unread postby KPillinois » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Massbuck wrote:Can't find milkweed

After watching Dan's youtube video about milkweed i ordered some from a seller on Ebay for 10 bucks or something like that and that stuff is like magic !!! Can't believe i thought powder was the stuff to use, I'm gonna grow my own milkweed in the spring. I hunt hilly terrain and milkweed shows me all the time that i'm not as smart as i think i am :)
I've changed my ways, I'm now looking for big bucks on public land.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:34 am

Thick on top behind him with Greenbriar, on heck of a view from the point he is on! Its a head scratcher trying to figure out how to get close enough. You can see where he pooped in his bed as well. Typical hill country bed.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”