The Modern Lazy Hunter

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: The Modern Lazy Hunter

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:29 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I am finding more hunters every year are willing to go the extra mile or cross through the nasty swamp. Still a minority, but this is what keeps me constantly searching for new spots. I've had hunters move in on more than a few spots I had hunted.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I definitely see this trend in the southern, central, and western parts of WI. However, I'm seeing the opposite in northern wi.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:50 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:I am finding more hunters every year are willing to go the extra mile or cross through the nasty swamp. Still a minority, but this is what keeps me constantly searching for new spots. I've had hunters move in on more than a few spots I had hunted.

I definitely see this trend in the southern, central, and western parts of WI. However, I'm seeing the opposite in northern wi.

Seeing the same here, usually just more pressure in higher population areas and guys are willing to work to get away from others. If you go northwoods remote you pretty much have the wood to yourself. The only issues there are much lower deer numbers and you have to compete with wolves.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:58 am

Water levels in the marshes have been way down the last few years. Once things get back to normal this will improve some. 2012 was really a bad year for me with zero water in the marsh. Almost every single spot I never saw another hunter in had human tracks in them. Pretty frustrating year but pushed me to find more overlooked spots which payed off very good for me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:29 am

You bring up a good point... The drought brought me a lot more pressure too... It seems like the majority of hunters will not cross water no matter how shallow it is.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:36 am

I am feeling the heat also JM
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:19 am

Whereas I didn't find as many "newer" stands or obvious sign of other hunters in the farther reaches of public land I hunt,I did find more subtle sign. Footprints. Glow tacks or the equivalent. A couple times I went to trim a small branch and there was already a fresh cut. I have starte up a tree only to notice evidence that another stand had been there before.

Several times I found discarded I found discarded and empty milkweed pods on a trail where there were no milkweed plants.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:29 am

seeds wrote:Whereas I didn't find as many "newer" stands or obvious sign of other hunters in the farther reaches of public land I hunt,I did find more subtle sign. Footprints. Glow tacks or the equivalent. A couple times I went to trim a small branch and there was already a fresh cut. I have starte up a tree only to notice evidence that another stand had been there before.

Several times I found discarded I found discarded and empty milkweed pods on a trail where there were no milkweed plants.

Must have been BigHunt :lol: :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:12 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
seeds wrote:Whereas I didn't find as many "newer" stands or obvious sign of other hunters in the farther reaches of public land I hunt,I did find more subtle sign. Footprints. Glow tacks or the equivalent. A couple times I went to trim a small branch and there was already a fresh cut. I have starte up a tree only to notice evidence that another stand had been there before.

Must have been BigHunt :lol: :lol:

:lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:59 am

Its a geographic thing as well I think....if you hunt elk or other big game in most western states you quickly realize that us easterners and our tiny 5,000 acre chunks of flat-ish public land are sissy-pants.

I went elk hunting two years ago for the first time, I was in awesome shape for a hill country hunter, and I could BARELY keep at it for 8 days.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:10 am

I wonder if the abundance of deer these days compared to many decades ago have anything to do with a lot of hunters not getting far from the roads and parking lots.

Marketing (shows and magazines) could have something to do with it as well I suppose. It just seems many old school hunters are a bit more hard core. Not many hunted for recreation decades back, it was serious, freezer filling, animal finding excursions. Many decades back relied on the meat more than the recreation.

I see many young hunters that want to kill a deer, but it is still just recreation.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:28 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I wonder if the abundance of deer these days compared to many decades ago have anything to do with a lot of hunters not getting far from the roads and parking lots.

Marketing (shows and magazines) could have something to do with it as well I suppose. It just seems many old school hunters are a bit more hard core. Not many hunted for recreation decades back, it was serious, freezer filling, animal finding excursions. Many decades back relied on the meat more than the recreation.

I see many young hunters that want to kill a deer, but it is still just recreation.

I agree somewhat.

Shows and to a point magazines has a lot to do with it in my opinion. Most hunters today are more interested in food plots and gagets than they are in actual hunting. Rather than taking the time to learn their quarry and his habits, they're more interested in things that supposedly makes it happen "their way" instead of the natural order of things. Most hunting shows are for entertainment, not instructional. Now I'm not bashing hunting shows, or gagets, if that's what you like to do. But there is no replacement for woodsmanship skills.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 am

We had a CWD scare here in Michigan a few years back and they banned baiting for a couple years. During that time my hunting on the public got worse because guys started actually figuring out how to hunt so I started getting some other hunter activity in spots that Id never seen another hunter in. They allowed baiting again after no other deer were found and stateland hunting went right back to "normal" and by that I mean 90 percent of guys sitting over a pile of carrots.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Bump for the newer readers! Good info on getting away
nanookodanorth

Unread postby nanookodanorth » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:53 am

Technology is dumbing down the skill level on most things these days. , I just bought my wife a car that parallel parks all by itself! Imagine the new drivers in 5 or 10 years who get into an early 2000's jalopy and they find out the car won't park by itself???
I'm probably thinking about big bucks right now!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:34 am

nanookodanorth wrote:Technology is dumbing down the skill level on most things these days. , I just bought my wife a car that parallel parks all by itself! Imagine the new drivers in 5 or 10 years who get into an early 2000's jalopy and they find out the car won't park by itself???

Heck I've had young kids not know how to get the windows rolled down on the old junk I always drive!!! :lol:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”