The Modern Lazy Hunter

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KLEMZ

Re: The Modern Lazy Hunter

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:39 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:I think it has to do with how much public land is available in your state and how big they are/are not. And don't kid yourself, even the "lazy" hunters are getting clued in as more information is shared on the internet. There are some WMAs in some states, that I don't care what you do you WILL run into other hunters, even close to parking areas and other overlooked spots. The general hunting public is learning and for states with little public land it is making it harder and harder to "get off the beaten path."

Which is why the Hunting Beast is so important to me. Understanding which properties to walk away from is an important part of my hunting now. Basically, if I'm not seeing the caliber of sign I want, it tells me there are no hiding spots for a buck to grow old. Move on. I know Dan has stated he only hunts about 2 out of 10 properties he scouts (or something close to that).

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 pm

KLEMZ wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:I think it has to do with how much public land is available in your state and how big they are/are not. And don't kid yourself, even the "lazy" hunters are getting clued in as more information is shared on the internet. There are some WMAs in some states, that I don't care what you do you WILL run into other hunters, even close to parking areas and other overlooked spots. The general hunting public is learning and for states with little public land it is making it harder and harder to "get off the beaten path."

Which is why the Hunting Beast is so important to me. Understanding which properties to walk away from is an important part of my hunting now. Basically, if I'm not seeing the caliber of sign I want, it tells me there are no hiding spots for a buck to grow old. Move on. I know Dan has stated he only hunts about 2 out of 10 properties he scouts (or something close to that).

And most times it takes water to get away from people.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm a believer it doesn't matter what the general public reads on the Internet, the overwhelming majority wont do what it takes reguardless.

I don't know how many times I did all the work, walked the hunter to a tree, told him if you sit here from daylight until dark for the next 3 days u will have a crack at a good one. Then a hour and a half later see the guy walking around.

Even if the average hunter caught onto beast style tactics the deer would adapt and the hunters who adapt with them would still be successful.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm

KLEMZ wrote:

I agree. But we don't have that luxury here. The closest public land to me is in another state 1 hour away... 1.5 hours in state. Pass those up and you are talking close to 3 hours one way. Sorry but available public land has a lot to do with it for the average working man with only so many vacation hours. In Montana I never strugged to find new areas not pounded by others. Texas... good luck.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:04 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:

I agree. But we don't have that luxury here. The closest public land to me is in another state 1 hour away... 1.5 hours in state. Pass those up and you are talking close to 3 hours one way. Sorry but available public land has a lot to do with it for the average working man with only so many vacation hours. In Montana I never strugged to find new areas not pounded by others. Texas... good luck.

Makes a guy in Wisconsin appreciate what public land we do have. It's not crazy like a lot of the western states, but I live close to a reasonably populated area and I have probably 10,000 acres (really more than that) of public land at my disposal in less than a half hour drive from my house.
harold

Unread postby harold » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:02 am

I think Dan was right when he talked about guys fearing getting lost. I see it all the time; trails of orange ribbon, bright eyes, etc. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using those in moderation, but when you are marking every five feet there is something seriously wrong with your skills in the woods. I once saw a guy mark a well used hiking trail with ribbon every five or ten feet. The trail led to a fence enclosure (DCNR and PGC here put them up to keep the deer out of clear cuts; that is another topic in itself). The guy then tied ribbons on the fence! Seriously?! Turns out his "stand" was down the fence line a couple hundred yards then fifty feet from the fence. I was dumbfounded. Guys just do not spend enough time in the woods. I do think some of it is laziness, but I also think there is lack of time or effort. Most guys (and gals) on this site have a serious passion for hunting and therefore spend enormous amounts of time outdoors. But fact of the matter is, a large majority of hunters only spend several days (I'd guess less than a week) of the year in the field. This will only get worse as populations continue to shift toward urban areas.

PSU did a study a few years back where they took aerial surveys of hunter locations during rifle season. This was easy to do with guys wearing orange and no foliage on the trees. Here is part of the results from the abstract:

"On the Sproul study area, 73% of hunters on public land were located <600 m from a road, compared to 60% of the area being within that distance and 70% of hunters used slopes <8°, which represented 57% of the area. Hunters on private lands on the Sproul study area were uniformly distributed by distance from road, but 79% of hunters were on slopes <8°, which represented 73% of the area. On the Tuscarora study area, 79% of all public land hunters remained <600 m from a road, compared to 69% of the area being within that distance, and hunters tended to avoid steeper slopes, although the effect was not as great as on the Sproul study area. Hunters on private land in the Tuscarora study area avoided locations both near and far from roads and slope had little relation to the distribution of hunters."

The results are not surprising. 600 meters is about 1/3 mile.
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:45 pm

Like others have said, I see lots of sign close to the road. The problem is that at most of the public parcels where I'm at, you can't get very far from the road without being close to another one :doh: I'd say the biggest theme I see with other guys sets is visibility. Seems like everyone sets up where they can see quite a bit of ground. Old growth woods, fields, power lines, etc are hunter magnets here. I see lots of trails guys cut through the thicker stuff and trail marker tacks and ribbons everywhere. Not to mention the beer cans and just general trash that gets left behind. Bait piles drive me nuts. Even though its not legal in our state to bait outside of 150 yards from an occupied dwelling outside of deer season i see them all over the place hundreds of yards away from a house in the summer time. Almost always they're on a field edge and theres a ladder stand within 20 yards. I think a lot of guys see the celebrities on TV sitting the field edges and food plots and think that that's where they need to be. Might work on lightly pressured private, but on our highly pressured state land it's a no go.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 am

I am definitely a recovering lazy hunter. The one thing that gets mentioned all the time is crossing water. I finally did that this winter (everything is frozen so it’s easy) and am shocked at the beds and sign I’m finding.

There’s just way more activity than I would’ve thought. I had always been told the deer wouldn’t cross water unless they had to. In 2016, I started to realize that the conventional deer hunting information wasn’t matching up to my experiences . I put a camera up to test a theory and this is the photo I got:

I bumped her out of a bed I didn’t know existed. This started me on my beast journey and really made me realize how lazy I was and how little work I was actually doing. And I still didn’t clue in to post season scouting. I waited until September, remembered this photo and started trying to learn about pressured whitetail.

Now if she’s willing to swim in freezing cold water to get away from me, what’s a mature buck willing to do? What am I willing to do to get a crack at a mature buck?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 am

I think it is safe to say not everyone has the passion for deer hunting that we do, I do plenty of other things in life in a casual way and everyone has their own interests that they take to extremes more than others. Funny this thread is still around after 8 years but the original premise is valid, I still see it out there scouting to this day, an old board nailed to a tree, an ancient beer can on a remote island, the old timers in their youth weren't afraid to hit the woods and go remote and they had a little woodsmanship to go along with it because many of them were onto bucks beds.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:47 am

Babshaft wrote:I am definitely a recovering lazy hunter. The one thing that gets mentioned all the time is crossing water. I finally did that this winter (everything is frozen so it’s easy) and am shocked at the beds and sign I’m finding.

There’s just way more activity than I would’ve thought. I had always been told the deer wouldn’t cross water unless they had to. In 2016, I started to realize that the conventional deer hunting information wasn’t matching up to my experiences . I put a camera up to test a theory and this is the photo I got:

I bumped her out of a bed I didn’t know existed. This started me on my beast journey and really made me realize how lazy I was and how little work I was actually doing. And I still didn’t clue in to post season scouting. I waited until September, remembered this photo and started trying to learn about pressured whitetail.

Now if she’s willing to swim in freezing cold water to get away from me, what’s a mature buck willing to do? What am I willing to do to get a crack at a mature buck?

Who or whatever told you deer didnt like water was wrong or didnt know how to hunt!! They love it!! These pics were from yesterday it was 30 degrees and dropping fast when these were taking. I checked he cam 4 hours after they were there. And had several pics of them in this water for several minutes!

They were just playing around the best i could tell if there was a buck dogging them alil i didnt get a pic of him. There was sevral pics of them standing and running silly. I have grown preferred to hunt swamps deer deer and big bucks naturally gravitate towards them just like dan sayes. I have found this true time after time, to me its preferred!
Last edited by UofLbowhunter on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:
Babshaft wrote:I am definitely a recovering lazy hunter. The one thing that gets mentioned all the time is crossing water. I finally did that this winter (everything is frozen so it’s easy) and am shocked at the beds and sign I’m finding.

Who or whatever told you deer didnt like water was wrong or didnt know how to hunt!! They love it!! These pics were from yesterday it was 30 degrees and dropping fast when these were taking. I checked he cam 4 hours after they were there. And had several pics of them in this water for several minutes!

Man were they ever! Deep or shallow, current or still they don’t care. Thanks to you guys I’m pushing past it to get to the deer I want to hunt.

Really cool pictures bro!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:59 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:

Lots of animals love water more than people give them credit for. Have seen lots of deer swimming and frolicking in the backwaters where I fish. Heck I have seen squirrels out swimming, and my buddy hit a coyote with his boat a few years ago. Figure that out. Bears swim as well. Saw one do a belly flop a couple years back. Almost peed myself laughing. Thought it was dead given how loud that splash was.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 am

Jonny wrote:Lots of animals love water more than people give them credit for. Have seen lots of deer swimming and frolicking in the backwaters where I fish. Heck I have seen squirrels out swimming, and my buddy hit a coyote with his boat a few years ago. Figure that out. Bears swim as well. Saw one do a belly flop a couple years back. Almost peed myself laughing. Thought it was dead given how loud that splash was.

Hahahaha I got a good chuckle out of the bear. It's crazy how far some animals will swim as well. Last summer, two FLW anglers from Ontario (Chris and Corey Johnston) used their boat in a tournament on the St. Lawrence river to protect a buck that decided it was going to swim the 800 meters across the river.

I'd love to see a black bear swimming. Bucket list of cool animal things to see for sure.
MN_ArcheryGuy

Unread postby MN_ArcheryGuy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:54 am

One thing that really gets me is how everyone wants to shoot a big deer, but doesn't want to put the time in. Like other guys have said, they want to drive their 4 wheeler to their heated stand and hunt over their bait pile. I haven't seen a guy packing a stand on his back for like 3 years now...
We recently purchased a house and have about 60 acres of land with it; one of my buddies says to me, "you won't ever have to hunt public land again". Are you kidding me? This is the same guy that hunts the same stand every time he goes out, tells me that wind doesn't matter if you're in a box stand! I think a lot of people just don't care that much because their only time hunting is 1 or 2 weekends per year during rifle season. They don't gain the knowledge or want to put in the work to get where the deer are and the people are not. I really enjoy this forum, as the guys on here are just as crazy for hunting public land whitetails as I am!!! :lol:
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:10 am

Alot of guys dont want to get their ozone machines wet I think.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”