The Modern Lazy Hunter

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Re: The Modern Lazy Hunter

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:19 am

Ninja, you are the man for helping people like that! If you have time for a tag along/baggage I would love to take a few days/week to do some public land hunting with you in a state of your choice! This year I am all pinned down with work and will not be able to take any leave to hunt.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:43 am

That would be awesome Shadow!!! I'm looking forward to it some day.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Ninja, my hunting time this year is going to be quite limited which just sucks. BUT, I scouted hard and seem to be onto some deer. I am predicting good things like I always do. I will be a weekend warrior hunter for the first time in over a decade. KILL
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:48 am

ninja,

I always hear how bad public land hunting is.... :lol: :lol:

those are some wonderful hunting properties!
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:56 am

The Sloughs WMA is just a short drive from Evansville...30 min's or so, west of Henderson. The gun season starts the secound Saterday in Nov. every year. An early season bow hunt might be well worth the trip down there. Or even a hunt the first week of Nov. before all the guns hit the woods.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:46 pm

bump
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:33 pm

This topic hits home for me... I hunt in a brutal swamp and I can't say how many times I've been miles back and come on a great spot and start looking for a tree and there's an ancient stand!! Amazes me its always the perfect tree... and I'm also now finding some are near bedding.... amazes me how good these guys were.... no GPS, no aerials to study.... also amazing that a spot that was hot 10-20 yrs ago is still a hot spot... sometimes I think I should just start looking for old tree stands back there lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Great topic and lots of great posts on this. I think the hunting industry and hunting shows have a huge influence on hunters nowadays. I find tons of hunter sign but it always accompanied by some sort of "scent wick" and a trail of orange tape heading in and out of the stand. (Wanting instant success from a product off the walmart shelf). One state Forrest I hunt allows people to leave their portable stands in the woods and you can really see the modern day trends of "laziness".
Most of the stands I find are right on the edge of a field or within 50 yards of a logging road. I think guys watch hunting shows and see one show after another with a monster buck strutting down the edge of a field in broad daylight and are convinced that this happens all the time.

Here's a thought, it may not be laziness or lack of hunting knowledge. I think some guys are just satisfied to get out hunting a couple of times a year, and if they kill one that's great and if they don't that is ok too. Not everybody has the desire to put the time, effort and money into pursuing big bucks as the guys who frequent forums like this one.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:58 pm

This is great! As I learn more about bed hunting I have noticed, as well, there is some kind of old stand in the perfect tree almost every time.

Swampbuck, I think you could be on to something there!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Here's a thought, it may not be laziness or lack of hunting knowledge. I think some guys are just satisfied to get out hunting a couple of times a year, and if they kill one that's great and if they don't that is ok too. Not everybody has the desire to put the time, effort and money into pursuing big bucks as the guys who frequent forums like this one.

If you have an attitude tjhat its very important to be successful you will do what it takes... If you don't, and your a city boy, your going to be more worried about getting lost than killing a big buck..

I have noticed no matter if there are 4 or 20 cars in the parking lot, and whether I am 100 yards or a mile from the parking lot, I am almost always the last one out, even if I leave before closing time... I think there is a big fear of getting lost.
Thats to bad for those hunters, cause thwe vast majority of the trophy bucks I shoot are shot in the time frame when they are heading back to there trucks.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:23 am

My first and only beast style hunt was the last day of our 2013 season. It took me 4 times as long as usual to walk to my stand. And the walk back to the truck was over 2 miles in the dark.

It was ruined by a "lazy" hunter who parked within 50 yards of my set up and slammed his car door...this guy just hadn't been educated by the beast.

I spent all season parking in that spot he did...I just wasnt educated yet. Now I would walk 10 miles through a blizzard if I had a chance to pattern and kill a nice deer!

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:10 am

Wlog wrote:Here's a thought, it may not be laziness or lack of hunting knowledge. I think some guys are just satisfied to get out hunting a couple of times a year, and if they kill one that's great and if they don't that is ok too. Not everybody has the desire to put the time, effort and money into pursuing big bucks as the guys who frequent forums like this one.

Ii also could be more of a person's overall attitude... Some want to excel at whatever they put their interest in, whether it be hunting, fishing, taxidermy, carpentry or whatever... They like to take the extra time to keep improving and do the best they can... Others just have the good enough attitude and are fine with the first pass...
Make It Happen
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:23 am

dan wrote:

If you have an attitude tjhat its very important to be successful you will do what it takes... If you don't, and your a city boy, your going to be more worried about getting lost than killing a big buck..

I have noticed no matter if there are 4 or 20 cars in the parking lot, and whether I am 100 yards or a mile from the parking lot, I am almost always the last one out, even if I leave before closing time... I think there is a big fear of getting lost.
Thats to bad for those hunters, cause thwe vast majority of the trophy bucks I shoot are shot in the time frame when they are heading back to there trucks.

I notice it too . There are guys that are out of their stands before legal shooting time is up because they're worried about walking in the dark. I read through some of this thread and agree with the fact that a lot of young or new hunters just don't know how to read sign. I use trail cameras mainly for inventory on private lands I hunt but don't rely on them as an in season scouting tool. I think reading sign and knowing terrain features can help you be successful more than bait or trail cams any day.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:02 am

I am finding more hunters every year are willing to go the extra mile or cross through the nasty swamp. Still a minority, but this is what keeps me constantly searching for new spots. I've had hunters move in on more than a few spots I had hunted.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:24 am

My nephew just completed his hunter training class and if I'm lucky he won't fit this description.
A memory that stands out includes a doe down at sunset and my choice of travel. I was alone with a lake between my deer and the truck. Rather than backtracking I circled on unknown ground only hoping it was the right choice. I felt at HOME. Like shout out loud HOME. That feeling doesn't come from imitating TV hunting.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”