The Modern Lazy Hunter

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: The Modern Lazy Hunter

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:54 am

dan wrote:
Here's a thought, it may not be laziness or lack of hunting knowledge. I think some guys are just satisfied to get out hunting a couple of times a year, and if they kill one that's great and if they don't that is ok too. Not everybody has the desire to put the time, effort and money into pursuing big bucks as the guys who frequent forums like this one.

If you have an attitude tjhat its very important to be successful you will do what it takes... If you don't, and your a city boy, your going to be more worried about getting lost than killing a big buck..

I have noticed no matter if there are 4 or 20 cars in the parking lot, and whether I am 100 yards or a mile from the parking lot, I am almost always the last one out, even if I leave before closing time... I think there is a big fear of getting lost.
Thats to bad for those hunters, cause thwe vast majority of the trophy bucks I shoot are shot in the time frame when they are heading back to there trucks.

The last time I hunted when I WAS NOT the last hunter out was when Dewey and I ended up at the same parking area :lol: :lol: :lol:

He must have been in the good spot.

88jeep

Unread postby 88jeep » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:42 pm

There seems to be plenty of people in my area who are not afraid to go miles deep but most of them are going in and hunting scrapes or rubs. I know of a few who have consistently killed good bucks for years. I don't know the specific techniques they use but they get it done and are known to scout a lot and hunt deep in the woods. I was raised by my grandparents and most of their generation hunted with dogs or with man drives.
If it was easy it wouldn't be an accomplishment.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:32 pm

Most areas I see lazy hunters they ride their 4 wheelers and hunt very close to the trail. Or leave a trail of beer cans down a logging road.

The bad thing is atv riders then hunters create so many trails in state parks nowadays you walk 300 yards your on the next trail.

Very few truly remote spots exist in the south and every year my state has less public land to hunt so it forces hunters in pockets.

As I scout so much I have found several ancient stands that are in perfect spots how those hunters found them originally is amazing. Most are wooden stands that are completely falling apart.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Maninrut

Unread postby Maninrut » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi guys,
Wanted to throw my .02 in as someone new to hunting.
After going on my first hunt last year I got into watching all the shows and reading all the magazines and I could just feel like it wasn't right... I could see through all the product pushing and all the paid trophy outfitter bucks these guys were SMOKIN SON! I sat back after awhile and asked "Have I learned anything?".
Not much was the answer.
Some of the magazines had decent articles but popular television was NOT there to teach me anything.

After doing my own searching and finding this site, I've found what I've been looking for. I've watched alot of the Beast shows on YouTube and some of the Q&A's and I knew that THIS was real knowledge that can help me in the future.

The hunt I went on last year was fun for me but I know now why I didn't even see a deer lol. These guys know the woods like the back of their hands. Know where the beds are, know where they eat, know the trails... and every year they put the stands.... in the same trees.
So from what I learned here is that the bucks have THEM patterned. They know all too well.

Now they aren't in it just for the deer, they just like being out there and enjoying themselves. And I respect and love them for inviting me to join them and I'm very grateful. I'm only saying now that I understand what happened last year better now because of this site and not because of anything I watched on T.V. or read in a magazine and for a new Hunter that is priceless.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:35 am

Bump

One thing I think I have been noticing is guys tend to get a bit more gung ho during the rut and gun season, especially in higher pressure areas. Both spots I found this year just didn’t seem like early season hunts. Both seemed like rut or gun season. Why? You won’t get as sweaty in hip boots in November like you will in September. And nobody likes getting wet. Well most people don’t like it.

I also have confirmed this in my social media scouting. See some properties with great bucks but the pictures show them in waders and orange, and in nasty areas.

But going back to headgears original post, some of the best spots I ever hunted had a board or two nailed on a tree somewhere.. A spot I wounded a beautiful buck, missed another, and saw a couple slobs was 10’ from an old stand.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:41 pm

By me I don’t run into many deer hunters in a lot of the spots I go. In the early season it’ll be the bear hunters. Then a month later it’ll be the bird hunters. A lot has to do with the deer population. If we had more deer I’d guess we’d see more deer hunters. Until we can manage the wolves I’m sure a lot of hunters won’t even spend their time hunting by me.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:21 pm

In my area I wouldn't conclude that the hunters are necessarily lazy. Seems most have read or been taught just sub par tactics. Feel majority believe a deer is like cattle, honk the horn, dump some feed and get ready!

Not trying to sound like I'm hot crap here, but how the heck the general public looks at hunting and thinks they have a legit shot at a buck just baffles me. Usually goes along the lines of having one stand, located in away they can see along way in every direction, mix in some feed, pay no attention to wind, entry/exit, if there's even a buck in the area, hunt it repeatedly from opening to closing day and at the end of season conclude they need to find a better area no good deer around these parts.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 am

I absolutely love the lazy hunters, makes it better for me. Mike
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 am

I was just coming here to share your video. That's the absolute definition of lazy hunters.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:58 am

the trash sucks but what kind of state makes community tree stands I'm in aw lol where I hunt I'm always worried a liberal would slash my tires while I'm out. I don't even put hunting stickers on my ride!
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:07 am

the amount of human sign I see is getting worse every year a good beast tactic is if you cant find a speck of garbage you better start looking for a big buck bed.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 am

I think it has to do with how much public land is available in your state and how big they are/are not. And don't kid yourself, even the "lazy" hunters are getting clued in as more information is shared on the internet. There are some WMAs in some states, that I don't care what you do you WILL run into other hunters, even close to parking areas and other overlooked spots. The general hunting public is learning and for states with little public land it is making it harder and harder to "get off the beaten path."
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:34 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I think it has to do with how much public land is available in your state and how big they are/are not. And don't kid yourself, even the "lazy" hunters are getting clued in as more information is shared on the internet. There are some WMAs in some states, that I don't care what you do you WILL run into other hunters, even close to parking areas and other overlooked spots. The general hunting public is learning and for states with little public land it is making it harder and harder to "get off the beaten path."

After Nebraska this year, could not agree more.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:I think it has to do with how much public land is available in your state and how big they are/are not. And don't kid yourself, even the "lazy" hunters are getting clued in as more information is shared on the internet. There are some WMAs in some states, that I don't care what you do you WILL run into other hunters, even close to parking areas and other overlooked spots. The general hunting public is learning and for states with little public land it is making it harder and harder to "get off the beaten path."

After Nebraska this year, could not agree more.

I agree as well. Night and day difference in Wisconsin in areas with more hunters and less land, and areas with no hunters and tons of land.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”