Fly fishing for trout

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Fly fishing for trout

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:58 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
Dewey wrote:Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

The wooly bugger (top middle) is my favorite for big rainbows hiding in eddies in the shallow rapids. I would cast upstream and just let it drift down the rapids and sometimes there would be a nice fish hiding in a pocket and it would hook on.

Funny you mention that, few years back, caught my first rainbow on a wooly booger, nymph fishing a tandem setup.

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Dewey I think it's awesome that you discoverd an interest in fly fishing in yellowstone. That's how I started fly fishing and learned how to do it.

I worked in yellowstone and lived in yellowstone for almost 3 years. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I lived in both canyon village and lake village. One of my all time favorite places. I also did a lot of fly fishing in Bozeman and Livingston Montana.

I had watched Dan's video of his trip threw yellowstone and talked about parts of the park. What places in the park did you enjoy?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:Dewey I think it's awesome that you discoverd an interest in fly fishing in yellowstone. That's how I started fly fishing and learned how to do it.

I worked in yellowstone and lived in yellowstone for almost 3 years. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I lived in both canyon village and lake village. One of my all time favorite places. I also did a lot of fly fishing in Bozeman and Livingston Montana.

I had watched Dan's video of his trip threw yellowstone and talked about parts of the park. What places in the park did you enjoy?

I really enjoyed the entire park but Canyon was my favorite area. We stayed 3 days in Gardiner and 4 days in West Yellowstone so did a bunch of driving every day. Beartooth Pass was my favorite drive and we also drove to the Tetons. Next time I want to stay in the park probably at Old Faithful and in the Canyon area. Can't wait to get back some day. I love it out there.

Here is a link to my trip.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19784&p=255346

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:14 am

Dewey wrote:
Outdoor814 wrote:Dewey I think it's awesome that you discoverd an interest in fly fishing in yellowstone. That's how I started fly fishing and learned how to do it.

I really enjoyed the entire park but Canyon was my favorite area. We stayed 3 days in Gardiner and 4 days in West Yellowstone so did a bunch of driving every day. Beartooth Pass was my favorite drive and we also drove to the Tetons. Next time I want to stay in the park probably at Old Faithful and in the Canyon area. Can't wait to get back some day. I love it out there.

Here is a link to my trip.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19784&p=255346

Canyon is an awesome place. I was in charge of housekeeping in the dunraven and cascade lodges. When i lived at lake village i was a linnen supply agent. Basically we picked up bins of dirty sheets towels ect. And then later in the day dropped off bins of clean stuff.

It's an awesome opportunity to enjoy the park and get paid at the same time.

Joe™
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Mon May 02, 2016 2:54 am

I've been doing it since I was a child. From tying flies to building the rods...lots of fun. It's amazing what you can tie up for all species of fish. I've had a reel like that but was good for pan fishing but for trout, steelhead or big game fish that reel would be left in shambles. 9 ft rod is an all around fly rod. A 6 weight would be an all around weight rod. Light weight waders have been a God sent from the old hodgeman rubber waders. Went from rubber to neoprene to gore tex. What a difference. Make it enjoyable and have nice things, there is a big difference in what you pay for. Fly fishing has a feel.

rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Mon May 02, 2016 2:55 am

I've been doing it since I was a child. From tying flies to building the rods...lots of fun. It's amazing what you can tie up for all species of fish. I've had a reel like that but was good for pan fishing but for trout, steelhead or big game fish that reel would be left in shambles. 9 ft rod is an all around fly rod. A 6 weight would be an all around weight rod. Light weight waders have been a God sent from the old hodgeman rubber waders. Went from rubber to neoprene to gore tex. What a difference. Make it enjoyable and have nice things, there is a big difference in what you pay for. Fly fishing has a feel.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 02, 2016 3:14 am

rutnbuck wrote:I've been doing it since I was a child. From tying flies to building the rods...lots of fun. It's amazing what you can tie up for all species of fish. I've had a reel like that but was good for pan fishing but for trout, steelhead or big game fish that reel would be left in shambles. 9 ft rod is an all around fly rod. A 6 weight would be an all around weight rod. Light weight waders have been a God sent from the old hodgeman rubber waders. Went from rubber to neoprene to gore tex. What a difference. Make it enjoyable and have nice things, there is a big difference in what you pay for. Fly fishing has a feel.

Kinda figured that reel wouldn't be very good for anything but smaller fish but figured it will work for practicing my casting. If I get hooked I will definately buy a better quality combo.

GFAR100

Unread postby GFAR100 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:34 am

Hey Dewey if you are looking for quality fly fishing gear for a good price go with orvis.
They have an encounter line of rods and reels that you can get for more than fair price for the quality.
Also orvis has a great learning center on there website to kinda get you started on all aspects from casting,leaders,presentations, and even tying flies.
If you start getting into it and really wanna learn something pick up Prospecting for Trout by Tom Rosenbaur. Anybody who gets serious about fly fishing for trout should have that book! Anyways good luck and I hope you get into it. Fly fishing is awesome, a lot goes into it and its both a rewarding and enjoyable sport!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:18 am

GFAR100 wrote:Hey Dewey if you are looking for quality fly fishing gear for a good price go with orvis.
They have an encounter line of rods and reels that you can get for more than fair price for the quality.
Also orvis has a great learning center on there website to kinda get you started on all aspects from casting,leaders,presentations, and even tying flies.
If you start getting into it and really wanna learn something pick up Prospecting for Trout by Tom Rosenbaur. Anybody who gets serious about fly fishing for trout should have that book! Anyways good luck and I hope you get into it. Fly fishing is awesome, a lot goes into it and its both a rewarding and enjoyable sport!

Thanks for the tips.

I haven't had much free time to do this but will for sure in the future. My focus right now is scouting new areas I plan to hunt this year so that along with boat fishing is taking up a majority of my time. Hope to update my fly gear and get going on this next spring. Until then I'm reading and learning. That book sounds like a good read so I'll have to pick it up.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:56 am

Don't try to be casting like the guys in "A river runs thru it". Keep the casts as short as you can - roll casting is probably the best way to pick up a sinking line...

The leaders are tapered to help roll the fly over. Can't really use straight 2# test, it has to taper from thick to thin...

You have to figure out what your primary forage base is - may flies, stone flies, caddis... Each has a diff style nymph. If you want to focus on catching, you need to focus on the nymphs more than anything else.

The black wooley bugger, the hares ear, hornberg are all trout catching flies in the right time. It is hard to beat a marabou fly in dark olive or black during the crappie spawn - they tear it up but you can't move it fast...

A funny thing - we fish just about everything from offshore trolling to bass & walleye & pike to crappie, and trout & bluegills on fly rod and with spin tackle. My mom was out west somewhere on some big named trout stream, tearing up the cut throats on a small gold Little Cleo spoon and all the fly fishing guys were following her around, trying to get in front of her. Good times!

Fly fish for the fun of it - a person with a spinning rod and a quality spoon or small Rapala CD will outfish it about every day of the week. I used to really enjoy the spring may fly hatches and then return for the spent-wing-spinner fishing (after they lay their eggs and die). We caught a lot of fish but the best part was it was dry fly fishing. More fun but often less productive than wets and nymphs.

Last comment - we were fishing Grand Lake Stream in Maine...my cousin & I went out and night fished below the dam - caught salmon on about every cast with streamers...in the vast darkness...on streamers!

Good memories of fun times. Thanks!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Dewey wrote:Recently I have become very interested in fly fishing although I have never tried it yet. When I was out in Yellowstone it really caught my attention as something I would really like to learn how to do in my lifetime. Being out in Iowa scouting has really opened my eyes to how many opportunities that are out there fairly close to home in the driftless region of the eastern part of the state along with western WI.

I inherited some fly fishing gear from my Dad that was passed down to him from my uncle. It's not much, just an older fly rod and reel along with a small box of flies but it is bugging the heck out of me not putting that stuff to use. It seems to be calling me and begging to be in a stream. Hard to explain but I think now is the time for me to learn how to do this.

Been looking thru the Cabela's Fly Fishing catalog and like anything it seems there is a pretty overwhelming amount of gear available. The prices on some of the reels are crazy! :shock:

What basics do I need other than a rod and a few flies?

if your starting up and want to catch fish look into nymph fishing
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Dewey wrote:Recently I have become very interested in fly fishing although I have never tried it yet. When I was out in Yellowstone it really caught my attention as something I would really like to learn how to do in my lifetime. Being out in Iowa scouting has really opened my eyes to how many opportunities that are out there fairly close to home in the driftless region of the eastern part of the state along with western WI.

I inherited some fly fishing gear from my Dad that was passed down to him from my uncle. It's not much, just an older fly rod and reel along with a small box of flies but it is bugging the heck out of me not putting that stuff to use. It seems to be calling me and begging to be in a stream. Hard to explain but I think now is the time for me to learn how to do this.

Been looking thru the Cabela's Fly Fishing catalog and like anything it seems there is a pretty overwhelming amount of gear available. The prices on some of the reels are crazy! :shock:

What basics do I need other than a rod and a few flies?

make sure your old fly rod and real are not worth thousands of dollars some of the old stuff is very collectible
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:08 pm

Rich M wrote:Don't try to be casting like the guys in "A river runs thru it". Keep the casts as short as you can - roll casting is probably the best way to pick up a sinking line...

The leaders are tapered to help roll the fly over. Can't really use straight 2# test, it has to taper from thick to thin...

You have to figure out what your primary forage base is - may flies, stone flies, caddis... Each has a diff style nymph. If you want to focus on catching, you need to focus on the nymphs more than anything else.

The black wooley bugger, the hares ear, hornberg are all trout catching flies in the right time. It is hard to beat a marabou fly in dark olive or black during the crappie spawn - they tear it up but you can't move it fast...

A funny thing - we fish just about everything from offshore trolling to bass & walleye & pike to crappie, and trout & bluegills on fly rod and with spin tackle. My mom was out west somewhere on some big named trout stream, tearing up the cut throats on a small gold Little Cleo spoon and all the fly fishing guys were following her around, trying to get in front of her. Good times!

Fly fish for the fun of it - a person with a spinning rod and a quality spoon or small Rapala CD will outfish it about every day of the week. I used to really enjoy the spring may fly hatches and then return for the spent-wing-spinner fishing (after they lay their eggs and die). We caught a lot of fish but the best part was it was dry fly fishing. More fun but often less productive than wets and nymphs.

Last comment - we were fishing Grand Lake Stream in Maine...my cousin & I went out and night fished below the dam - caught salmon on about every cast with streamers...in the vast darkness...on streamers!

Good memories of fun times. Thanks!

Grand lake stream. Clearest water I have ever seen in my life. It was all about streamer fishing. Micky Finn was streamer of choice. Have buddies that fish that every spring.

You can see the salmon laYing on the bottom. Cool place.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:24 am

We were using the Black Ghost streamers. That was a great trip.

There are a lot of smallmouth bass in the river and nearby lakes too.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Strip clouser minnows for some crazy action. :whistle:

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”