Restoration? Improvement?

• Advertisement

HB Store

LenH
500 Club

Restoration? Improvement?

Unread postby LenH » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:36 am

I see this happen every time a new easement is purchased. I hear from people in the know that it is done to stabilize the banks and to encourage invertebrate growth.

I also hear that it is a "Restoration" effort to make the streams like they were before human ruined it. The rolling prairies as depicted in the below map is the "ONE" areas.

Anyone that fishes the Wisconsin Driftless Area knows that the "Heart" of the driftless area centers around CRAWFORD,RICHLAND and VERNON counties.

Unless you are color blind and can't count past the number ONE it is obvious that the BEST counties on the map to fish were category THREE and FOUR before man messed them up.

Categories:

One: Rolling Prairie
Two: Oak Savannah Bur Oak and White Oak
Three: Southern Oak Forest White, Black and Red Oak
Four: Southern Mesic Forest Sugar Maple, Basswood and Elm

Almost all of Richland County and Vernon County were Southern Mesic Forest with Sugar Maple, Basswood and Elm.

Crawford County has the same Southern Mesic Forest and Southern Oak Forest with a little Oak Savannah splashed in.

Please quit making my streams in to Rolling Prairies devoid of trees. The fishing is NOT better after it is done and the premise for doing the "improvement" or "restoration" is flawed.

The streams look terrible after the clear cutting and manicuring of the streams.

If you need a place to spend your money on, please focus on easement purchases and not scaring the streams.

James
500 Club

Re: Restoration? Improvement?

Unread postby James » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:42 am

We not so affectionately refer to these streams as "golf courses". I second your push for buying more easements and less on the "restoration". If a trout stream is un-fishable all summer due to vegetation and trees overhead, so be it. I prefer that those exist rather than the "golf courses".
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:47 am

I can think of a few streams that were once great for trout fishing that now suck after restoration projects or banks were cleared out like in that pic... Or streams that were once good flowing streams, and now barely hold any water enough to promote good trout fishing.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:23 pm

IMO it is done by and for fly fishermen......
No brush, trees etc to snag on.

Some of the best streams for BIG trout are a snarled tangled up mess and it is a pain to fish them................kinda like hunting for big bucks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Done for the fly fishermen. Usually easement is purchased with funds or a grant from an organization such Trout Unlimited and is driven by the fly guys and gals. This is just my 2 cents on what I saw happening in MN a few years ago.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”