Penns Creek, Centre County, PA 6/6/17

• Advertisement

HB Store

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Penns Creek, Centre County, PA 6/6/17

Unread postby csoult » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:24 am

I arrived at Penns, one of my favorite streams in the world, at about 2:00 and before I could even hit the water I saw two snakes. This would be a theme for the day. Both of them were black snakes and both were about the same size. A good 4' or more.

Large BWO's were hatching and I had my first fish within about 5-10 minutes of stepping foot in the water. I had a good idea that I was going to have a good day.

The BWO's turned off briefly due to the sun coming out. Being stubborn, I decided to walk and look for rising fish rather than putting on a nymph. As I was walking along the stream I came across a turtle, which I though was pretty cool because I don't see them that often.

I continued down the stream and had a mink walk right in front of me, then stop to stare at me for a little while. Pretty cool! look in the top left of the picture.

A thunderstorm showed up, then another, that's when the fishing started getting good. Light Cahills began to hatch around 4:30 and I was able to take fish all evening using various emerger (suplhur) and dun patterns. Cahills don't get nearly the credit they deserve for bringing fish to the surface. I have had many great evenings fishing Cahill and no one really talks too much about them.

I had walked quite a ways (as I normally do) and crossed the stream a few times to do so. I didn't want to be doing that in the dark so I started working my way back to a pool that was closer to my truck. Stopping when I saw rising fish and picking them off then moving on. As I was walking back I came across another turtle, but this one was much larger and looked to be guarding, or laying, eggs. I think it's a snapping turtle.

I got back to the pool that I had in my mind to fish and the fishing was dead, no risers at all. I decided to wait it out, and I'm glad I did, because when it turned on it was great. I told my self one last fish because it was getting hard to see and I was basically blind setting. Then I got a take I could see and set the hook for the last fish of the night and here he is.

ODH
500 Club

Re: Penns Creek, Centre County, PA 6/6/17

Unread postby ODH » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:36 am

what a day!
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:46 am

What an awesome day! I had some good fishing like that back in May on Little Pine Creek, Pine Creek & Kettle Creek. It is great when they are hitting! Thanks for the share.
Extreme Effort Only
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:08 am

8-) 8-) 8-)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:55 am

I was on Penns Creek 2 weeks ago and did well. A buddy of mine was up this past weekend and seen tons of them rising for fly's.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
csoult
500 Club

Unread postby csoult » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:09 am

For you guys that like fly fishing we have an entire podcast episode (episode 3) just on fly fishing. The rest are primarily about hunting.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:23 am

real nice. I have not been fly fishing much this spring. Weather has been cold and rainy. I have yet to catch a good hatch of anything. Hard when its 45 degrees and raining on an off.

Typically, by june in my area, the water is low and trout have moved. But this year, water levels are still high. Rain rain rain...
C r o w

Unread postby C r o w » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:33 am

Looks like you had a good day. I don't see minks to often down towards where I am but I have seen them and know they are here. I had one come 20 feet from me last year and steal a fish that I had just caught that was recovering from the fight. Pretty awesome experience.
csoult
500 Club

Unread postby csoult » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:19 pm

I've been really busy getting the website and podcast off the ground, so I haven't fished as much this year as I normally do.
Even so, it's been a good year and I'm looking forward to some warm water fishing as well. I have a river that I fish for smallmouth that when it's hot, and conditions are right, as soon as the fly hits the water you better be ready. We use poppers for that. Good times...
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:07 am

Nice fish csoult, those wild browns are beautiful. I fished for those same wild browns on the Little Juniata River just last night, and we did fair. Caught a few on tan caddis and rusty brown spinner, then of course we did pretty well at closing time when the river came alive with sulphurs. I've never fished Penns, I need to get over there and give it a shot. I'm partial to Kettle Creek and the Little Juniata!

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”