Im getting into trout fishing. Any advice?

• Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

Im getting into trout fishing. Any advice?

Unread postby buttonbuck » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:25 am

Ill be starting my adventure into trout fishing this weekend, in the Oconee creeks of SC. Ol trout fishermen said 6lb line, #6 barbed hook, worms bounce it off the bottom, cast and walk up river quite like. Attacking areas of pooling water, logs and rocks and such.

Anything you can offer advice wise id appreciate. Im using rod and open cast reel.

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Im getting into trout fishing. Any advice?

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:27 am

Thats a pretty good way to start. Keep it simple. If you keep getting hung up on bottom, just downsize your weight. Should be a fairly smooth drift.
As you get more advanced, you can get into running leader, drop weights, slip floats etc. Lot of variables and techniques which makes it fun and interesting.
Another easy technique is casting Mepps spinners up stream and drift them down. Do a slow reel and try to tap bottom every now and then. Looks like an injured fly. Careful not to catch bottom too much and get snagged though(their not cheap) I Get a lot of action that way too. Good luck!
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:20 am

Work upstream and try to attack spots from a few feet back on the back. A lot depends on if they are native, stocked, clear water, muddy, etc.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:08 am

Seems like finding them is the first step. I look for places where the water is doing something different. If the water's faster than normal, I might hit the edges where it's a little slower. If water's slow, I'm looking for the fast stuff. If it's hot out, I'm looking for deeper water or floating my bait/lure under some overhanging vegetation in the shade.

Junk in the water - rocks, limbs, etc. - is good, if you can keep your line free. Fishing real clear water is tougher than the slightly murky stuff, and you'll want to keep a low profile as far as your own visibility and noise. I always cast upstream and let it drift downstream to some target or slightly beyond, and I kind of run and gun - I like to have a long section of stream so I can keep moving until I get on fish.

I generally fish with light tackle - 4-6# mono with a lightweight fluorocarbon leader. A #6 hook is just right for trout for me. I generally will put a BB about 18 inches up from the hook just to get it down a little, but add more weight in faster water.

I'm generally catching stocked rainbows, which are pretty easy, so I'm no expert. But I can usually hit the seven fish limit in a couple hours and have plenty of time to get them on the smoker that evening. If you're going after native browns or brooks, and if it's legal, live crickets are the bees knees in my book. But if there are stockers in your stream, seems like the natives lay low until later in the year when the others are fished out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”