New State Record Muskie

• Advertisement

HB Store

G3s
500 Club

New State Record Muskie

Unread postby G3s » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:33 am

A new state record muskie was caught last weekend on a local lake...man this had to have been one heck of a fight, especially because he was fishing for bass with light tackle.

58 lbs, 59 inches long

Dewey

Re: New State Record Muskie

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:45 am

I saw this on the Musky Hunter website. That fish is a monster! :shock:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:12 am

That is a BEAST of a muskie! 8-)

Muskies are a special fish, especially in Minnesota and Wisconsin- they are often shocked that we can spear them through the ice here in Michigan... I have a lake just down the road where 50" muskies get speared in a few feet of water every winter. If I ever get the time, I have insider information as to exactly where, etc.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:43 am

nice fish, congrats to the fisherman. :clap:
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Oh my , that is huge. Tha's a small child right there !
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Here is the story with more pics.

Giant Musky Is New Michigan Record

Joe Seeberger has landed the largest musky ever caught from Michigan waters.

The new state record of 58 pounds has been confirmed by by Patrick Hanchin, a Michigan DNR fisheries biologist at the Charlevoix Fisheries Research Station, and Conservation Officer Steve Speigl.

Seeberger, a Portage, Michigan, resident, was fishing for smallmouth bass on October 13 with his brother Chuck and friend Jason Orbeck on Lake Bellaire when he hooked the giant musky.

After a two-hour fight, the fish measured 59 inches long with a 29-inch girth and weighed 58 pounds on a certified scale. Seeberger’s musky shattered the old Michigan record of 50 pounds 8 ounces, which was caught from Torch Lake by Kyle Andersen on September 27, 2009.

Seeberger was fishing in 15 feet of water, along a steep dropoff, when the musky engulfed his 7 1/4-inch sucker minnow. “The very moment I set the hook, I knew it was a huge fish … bigger than any of the smallmouths we’d been targeting, that was for sure,” said Seeberger. The fish was hooked at 8:30 a.m. “[It] came to the boat right away and swam near the surface past the boat … like the shark in “Jaws.” After a few moments, it gave us a spectacular jump, [and] I was sure I’d lose it then. But I didn’t. After that, we had to chase it around the lake,” Seeberger said.

Once the fish tired, two bass-size nets were used, one at the head and one at the tail, in an attempt to scoop the fish into the boat. “But both nets busted as soon as Chuck and I tried to lift the fish up,” said Orbeck.

By this time, another fishing buddy, Jeff Lutz, had hopped aboard Seeberger’s boat in an attempt to help land the fish. Now with unusable nets, two life jackets were tied together in an effort to make a cradle, but they proved to be too buoyant. Finally, one of the boat’s dock lines was lassoed around the fish’s head, slid to its middle, and tightened down. With one man grabbing the head, one grasping the tail, and a third pulling up on the line, the fish was brought safely into the boat at 10:30 a.m.

As soon as the crew got the boat out of the water, a county sheriff was waved down, who incidentally measured the musky with a crime scene tape. Seeberger then drove for an hour in search of a scale. He finally found an industrial-sized certified scale at the Ellsworth Farmer’s Exchange.

The fish has since been dropped off at a taxidermist for mounting.

Ironically, Seeberger’s musky was caught at about the same time as an important regulation change was made for Michigan’s musky fishery. Through the work of Michigan Muskie Alliance and the Michigan Warmwater Resources Steering Committee, the state has enacted new regulations for 2013 that will create a one-fish-per-year bag limit. The current regs allow for 42-inch or larger musky to be kept per day.

As of April 1, 2013, the regulation will be one fish 42 inches or greater per license year with tag. There will be no charge for the tag and it may be obtained upon request when purchasing a license.

Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:32 pm

8-) Cool fish in deed!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:49 am

Huge fish, bummer they couldn't put her back though.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bobby G
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:52 am

Awesome, Dewey- those extra pics really give a better view of how big this slob really is! Look at the red fin coloration and the girth of that thing! What a fish. I'm sure they didn't expect that to happen while flippin for bass...

Muskie moments have provided me with a lot of thrills over the years... bringing in a 15" walleye and having a muskie chomp it next to the boat about gave me a hear attack!

In the UP of Michigan a buddy and I were trolling with the electric one morning, super heavy fog and light rain, when a 50" muskie launched right in front of my boat's bow like an apollo space rocket, completely clearing the water before crashing back down with a thirty pound plus splash! :shock: Gotta love muskies!

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:07 am

straitnarrow wrote:Huge fish, bummer they couldn't put her back though.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I'd say the state record qualifies as acceptable to keep and have mounted. Sounds like quite the fight, I would have loved to have been in another boat and watching the attempts to land it, sounds like it was quite the ordeal!
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:59 am

Wow thats a big fish lol
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:05 am

Huge.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Lake Fishing”