trolling for walleyes

  • Advertisement

HB Store


Bowhunting Brian
500 Club
Posts: 2545
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:13 am
Status: Offline

trolling for walleyes

Postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:57 am

I have to get down 30 to 40 feet. I've been looking at Offshore Tadpoles, but the larger ones are not cheap. any other alternatives? I want to keep my set up standard and not buy anything else (rods and reels. currently using sealines with mono 10lb diameter to stay with the trolling bible and cabelas telescoping planer board rods) I use planer boards to get my lures out away from the boat. not sure if I can use jets or dipseys off planer boards. anyone have any ideas for me?


User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 6147
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: trolling for walleyes

Postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:00 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I have to get down 30 to 40 feet. I've been looking at Offshore Tadpoles, but the larger ones are not cheap. any other alternatives? I want to keep my set up standard and not buy anything else (rods and reels. currently using sealines with mono 10lb diameter to stay with the trolling bible and cabelas telescoping planer board rods) I use planer boards to get my lures out away from the boat. not sure if I can use jets or dipseys off planer boards. anyone have any ideas for me?


Jet Divers, Dipsey's and Fishweights (3 oz) can get you down to that depth and are useable with full sized, inline boards.
www.stealthoutdoors.com
User avatar
Trailcamaddict
500 Club
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:25 am
Location: NE Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: trolling for walleyes

Postby Trailcamaddict » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:40 pm

I cast my own tadpoles. Just make a mold with bondo and pour the lead in. Make your fins with thin sheet metal. The bondo mold will hold up to lots of pours.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Remember to take your kids!
solocam88
500 Club
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:10 pm
Status: Offline

Re: trolling for walleyes

Postby solocam88 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:03 am

2 colors of lead core behind planer boards

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
User avatar
Pullintoobs
500 Club
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:07 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: trolling for walleyes

Postby Pullintoobs » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:08 pm

I use snap weights. They can get you down to the depths you need.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club
Posts: 2545
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:13 am
Status: Offline

Re: trolling for walleyes

Postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:34 pm

solocam88 wrote:2 colors of lead core behind planer boards

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image



I'm not buying any more gear. keeping my set up with mono.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club
Posts: 2545
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:13 am
Status: Offline

Re: trolling for walleyes

Postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Pullintoobs wrote:I use snap weights. They can get you down to the depths you need.


I thought about snap weights, but the tadpoles seem easier to use in calculating depth to speed.
solocam88
500 Club
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:10 pm
Status: Offline

Re: trolling for walleyes

Postby solocam88 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:51 pm

You can run 2 colors no problem on any reel. Mono backing and a mono leader. Don't need any other gear. Snap weights work too and inline weights .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Return to “Lake Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest