Bleeding out fish

• Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Bleeding out fish

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:08 am

Do you guys bleed your fish out right when you catch them or just leave them uncut till you get home?

oldrank

Re: Bleeding out fish

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:32 am

I always bleed them as soon as I catch em. It makes for easy cleaning n better tasting fish. I do it right when I catch them because some may die on the stringer n then it to late.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:46 am

Never bled a fish out. I bring a cooler and pack them in ice until I clean them. Cooling them down quickly is much more important especially in warm temps.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:04 am

Just walleyes, crappies and white bass. Pretty much all I ever keep :lol: . They are much easier to clean and there is much less mess, and honestly I rarely keep fish after memorial day. If I do, they are eaten the same day they are cleaned. Taste difference? Not much of a difference in my experience. Much more difference in where you catch them from. A 29" wallleye from green bay tastes a heck of a lot better than an 18" walleye from the miss. White bass from bago or poygan are fantastic, from petenwell, ehh not so much. Still good, but not the same.

Really just comes down to personal preference. I will argue that fish from warm water taste bad compared to cold water. Even if you ice them, they aren't as good as early spring or through the ice.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:13 am

Jonny wrote: I will argue that fish from warm water taste bad compared to cold water. Even if you ice them, they aren't as good as early spring or through the ice.

You obviously never had summer walleye from a Canadian lake. Where you catch them makes a huge difference. On a fly in trip we ate July walleye every single day and were by far the best tasting fish I ever ate anywhere. :L:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:16 am

I usually catch a few, then fillet them and on ice they go.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:30 am

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote: I will argue that fish from warm water taste bad compared to cold water. Even if you ice them, they aren't as good as early spring or through the ice.

You obviously never had summer walleye from a Canadian lake. Where you catch them makes a huge difference. On a fly in trip we ate July walleye every single day and were by far the best tasting fish I ever ate anywhere. :L:

Nope. I get offered a trip every year and decline every time. If you clean the fish right after catching them, they will be great. But freeze them, and that is when I notice the difference. Frozen fish from ice fishing, and frozen fish from summer fishing, both from the same stretch of river. Big difference. I will 100% agree that location is everything.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Lake Fishing”