2018 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: 2018 Scouting Reports

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Babshaft wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:Im glad you are starting to see things too bro
Just keep at it. Good finds today. Im goong maryland tomorrow all day for lacrosse tournament but as of monday its boots on the ground every day from now til i cant anymore. Probably greenup
Keep at it.

Thanks brother. Have fun at the tourney man! Best of luck to the team! I'm gonna try and keep pace with you buddy. It's gonna be tough but I'll do what I can. I've got a really flexible schedule at work: 24 hour shifts, so everything is compressed. I'm hoping to find at least 20 primary bedding areas this spring. Set the goals high hahaha

Im right with ya my brotha. Thanks Lacrosse is so exciting
The boys beat the crap of each other then the girls run out there and just use every juke move there is. Girls is more finesse game. Boys lacrosse is physical. We love it.

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:13 pm

Tried to get to a new public section, but roads were closed and the whole area was under water. A couple of state highways were closed. I found a way to get the camry around through 5 inches of water, which is my limit. Any higher and I might have floated off of the road.

I jumped a lone deer with a good track, found two new bedding areas, and a couple of skulls. Racoon and a doe. I figured out some key aspects to one setup approach based on today's events.

I was really itching to return and spend more time investigating the area below, but right now it is under water. I will have to be patient.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Jft917

Unread postby Jft917 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:Ok i was born and raised cape may county moved to delaware last april

Cool...born and raised in nj. Delaware is a great state.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:01 am

Man is the flooding starting to pick up down here. Gonna need a snorkel and oxygen to find the beds I’m looking for.

Thank god for plan B’s. Hope the water drops in the next couple of days. Still need to look at my best looking stuff in the marsh
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:14 am

Jonny wrote:Man is the flooding starting to pick up down here. Gonna need a snorkel and oxygen to find the beds I’m looking for.

Thank god for plan B’s. Hope the water drops in the next couple of days. Still need to look at my best looking stuff in the marsh

I believe there’s still some flood warnings around your area until Tuesday. Could be a bit.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:31 am

Doing my due diligence today and scouting the mirror point of the point I scouted yesterday. The cattails between the two points were loaded with beds. Really liking this spot. Figuring out how they're using both points will be a bit of a challenge. The point that has the predominant wind blow down it obviously has the best sign and I suspect they exit the bedding that way the most often. There is no significant food source within 500 meters, so I'll have to time my entry right. I'll probably hunt the opposite point (non predominant wind) first. It should make them more apt to exit on the other point. Here's some pics of the beds and rubs I found today on the opposite point. I also found the largest pile of buck poop I've ever seen (last pic). It was right on the end of this point. I think a buck may have bedded there all winter, and as the snow melts, more poop gets exposed. Am I on the right track? Anyone else ever see anything like that? Thanks again lads

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Net Guy wrote:
Jonny wrote:Man is the flooding starting to pick up down here. Gonna need a snorkel and oxygen to find the beds I’m looking for.

I believe there’s still some flood warnings around your area until Tuesday. Could be a bit.

I have off all week so I got time 8-)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Jonny wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

I have off all week so I got time 8-)

Crazy that you guys have flood warnings in February. If the warm temps stay we’ll be right be behind you. I guess I better pack my snorkel for the seminar next month.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Found this decent 10 scouting public today. Found one good set up to add to the list.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Nice find Hawthorne
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:55 pm

As much effort as it took for me to get out scouting today figured I better put something up here. Been scouting hard but haven’t bothered taking the time to post much here lately.

Been a rough few days after messing my back up on Friday morning. I was able to pop my spine back in place this morning after the severe muscle spasms quit. Sounds crazy but I have learned how to do this after living with back issues for so long. Guess I learned something from so many chiropractor visits over the years. I’m sure he wouldn’t be too thrilled to know what I did. :naughty:

I hobbled out into the marsh today determined to do some scouting. Not gonna lie it was tough but I was able to cover just under 5 miles. No doubt the hardest 5 miles I ever covered. The longer I walked the better I started feeling. Over the years I found that nothing is better than walking to cure bad back pain.

I was determined to head out to an island I set up a trail cam at the end of the season hoping to get a picture of the buck I missed on Jan. 1st. Plenty of water in the marsh but the ice beneath was still solid. Good thing because if I had gone through and tweaked my back again I would have been down for the count.

Passed this one before. This buck was dead in the cattails on my way out. The coyotes ate good.

Once on the island I was greeted with these rubs. Didn’t see them last time I was out there. Guess I walked just north of them.

This rub was chest high. Notice the scar from an old rub below it. Same buck from an earlier year?

Found these in a shaded area nearby where there was still some snow. I realize there is some melting here but this is obviously a very big track. It dwarfed any other track nearby that was the same age.

Another chest high rub I found.

Checked my cam and saw some bucks were still carrying antlers this week. Bad news is I didn’t get a pic of the buck I missed on New Years Day. I put fresh batteries in and plan on leaving the cam in place till September. Hopefully there is enough juice till then.

This buck has shed but not old enough to be the same buck.

Few more smaller bucks. Looks like Feb. 20th was a good evening for deer movement. Boys night out. Must be a bachelor party nearby. :lol:

Notice the buck in the background.

Found a few beds but nothing I considered mature buck bedding so didn’t bother taking any pics.

All in all it was a pretty good day considering the challenges I started the day out with. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and get out there. A good walk and some fresh air is the best medicine there is. A few painkillers don’t hurt either. :lol:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:45 pm

That's awesome Dewey. Hopefully your back will be feeling better soon. I'm glad you were able to get out and scout.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:51 pm

Glad to here you could make it out Dewey!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 pm

Dewey wrote:As much effort as it took for me to get out scouting today figured I better put something up here. Been scouting hard but haven’t bothered taking the time to post much here lately.

Been a rough few days after messing my back up on Friday morning. I was able to pop my spine back in place this morning after the severe muscle spasms quit. Sounds crazy but I have learned how to do this after living with back issues for so long. Guess I learned something from so many chiropractor visits over the years. I’m sure he wouldn’t be too thrilled to know what I did. :naughty:

I hobbled out into the marsh today determined to do some scouting. Not gonna lie it was tough but I was able to cover just under 5 miles. No doubt the hardest 5 miles I ever covered. The longer I walked the better I started feeling. Over the years I found that nothing is better than walking to cure bad back pain.

I was determined to head out to an island I set up a trail cam at the end of the season hoping to get a picture of the buck I missed on Jan. 1st. Plenty of water in the marsh but the ice beneath was still solid. Good thing because if I had gone through and tweaked my back again I would have been down for the count.

Passed this one before. This buck was dead in the cattails on my way out. The coyotes ate good.

Once on the island I was greeted with these rubs. Didn’t see them last time I was out there. Guess I walked just north of them.

This rub was chest high. Notice the scar from an old rub below it. Same buck from an earlier year?

Found these in a shaded area nearby where there was still some snow. I realize there is some melting here but this is obviously a very big track. It dwarfed any other track nearby that was the same age.

Another chest high rub I found.

Checked my cam and saw some bucks were still carrying antlers this week. Bad news is I didn’t get a pic of the buck I missed on New Years Day. I put fresh batteries in and plan on leaving the cam in place till September. Hopefully there is enough juice till then.

This buck has shed but not old enough to be the same buck.

Few more smaller bucks. Looks like Feb. 20th was a good evening for deer movement. Boys night out. Must be a bachelor party nearby. :lol:

Notice the buck in the background.

Found a few beds but nothing I considered mature buck bedding so didn’t bother taking any pics.

All in all it was a pretty good day considering the challenges I started the day out with. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and get out there. A good walk and some fresh air is the best medicine there is. A few painkillers don’t hurt either. :lol:

Glad your back is starting to feel better. My wife is a chiropractor and she always hates it when I "adjust" myself. :roll: I think I do a darn good job at it. :lol:
beartruth2

Unread postby beartruth2 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:12 am

We had another successful trip this weekend this specific place has great sign but is littered with ribbons should be interesting come fall

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”