In-season scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Re: In-season scouting

Unread postby krent12 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:19 pm

Paul J wrote:Just a new guy to the beast awesome reading. I was doing some scouting a couple weeks ago and came a crossed some buck bedding I assume from the pictures I have seen on the beast. So I did some poking around and found eight to ten rubs all knee to thigh high. So would you hunt this early morning or afternoon? Spent last year sitting in preset stands and never seen a deer. Decided things need to change. Any advice is appreciated

gotta find more then one spot my guy. Go on youtube and watching every deer video. then go and buy his 4 dvd's and watch em all. by that point you will be 150x closer to seeing deer than you will if you just read these post. good luck

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat May 16, 2020 5:32 am

krent12 wrote:
Paul J wrote:Just a new guy to the beast awesome reading. I was doing some scouting a couple weeks ago and came a crossed some buck bedding I assume from the pictures I have seen on the beast. So I did some poking around and found eight to ten rubs all knee to thigh high. So would you hunt this early morning or afternoon? Spent last year sitting in preset stands and never seen a deer. Decided things need to change. Any advice is appreciated

gotta find more then one spot my guy. Go on youtube and watching every deer video. then go and buy his 4 dvd's and watch em all. by that point you will be 150x closer to seeing deer than you will if you just read these post. good luck

Good luck out there Paul. The Beast style will produce if you put in the work. A basic thought that can help almost anyone is ask WHEN the sign was made.

Bedding hunts are more successful because you are on daytime sign.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:53 am

I like doing alot of my in season scouting "during" rainstorms. Most of your sound is muffled, the ground is quieter, and the rain helps displace your scent. Also it seems the deer are alot less on edge because most folks just dont hunt during this period. Of course I still play the wind and stay away from bedding and do the rubber boots thing. I also try not to touch or rub up against stuff.
Success is when opportunity meets preparation!
Rmallen
Facebook: Roth mallen

Unread postby Rmallen » Sat May 16, 2020 12:12 pm

I felt the same way last year being new to the beast. I didn’t feel like I was finding the sign I wanted on the fringes of bedding on public. It was my own fault I didn’t do my late winter scouting.
I didn’t want to waste time hunting marginal stuff. I barreled in. I blundered through stuff I shouldn’t have. I didn’t really linger just followed sign back what I believed to be the spot. Came back a few days later when wind was right. Had an encounter with the buck. Just my two cents.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon May 18, 2020 9:41 am

krent12 wrote:

Paul...You need to relate the rubs to bedding. Where is he coming from? Where is he going to? Many rubs are made in the middle of the night, and would not be productive to hunt over! Kyle is also correct...You need to find as many spots as you can with good sign.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Paul J

Unread postby Paul J » Wed May 20, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks guys. I will need to get the dvd's and watch them
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun May 24, 2020 6:34 am

Love this thread. Figured I’d chime in. Earlier I was watching THP’s 2019 Public Land Challenge and noticed a perfect example of what this thread is all about. Plus, it resulted in a kill.

If you watch the episode where Joe killed his Michigan buck, you’ll see Dan and Joe scouting earlier that day looking for hot sign. From what I can remember, they came across a freshly opened scrape on the field edge, then ventured into the timber finding well-used paths and fresh rubs. They were talking to each other the entire time working out details and making a plan. They didn’t necessarily seem too worried about spooking deer as they were conscious of the potential bedding that was being used a little further out. Once they found the sign, they made a plan, and went back to get ready for a same-day hunt.

Joe ended up having to readjust his sit later that evening, but it seemed to still be within the general area of that fresh sign. Because of in-season scouting, and relating hot sign to bedding, he ended up killing a great Michigan buck. It’s a very educational episode to watch if you’re trying to figure out in-season scouting. It also helps us see that it doesn’t need to be as confusing as we often make it.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 24, 2020 11:04 am

tgreeno wrote:
krent12 wrote:

Paul...You need to relate the rubs to bedding. Where is he coming from? Where is he going to? Many rubs are made in the middle of the night, and would not be productive to hunt over! Kyle is also correct...You need to find as many spots as you can with good sign.

I do my best bed hunting evenings, but during the rut mornings can work good. Outside of rut they get back to bedding most of the time before daylight. But, they almost always leave there bed in the evening before dark. Follow the rubs and trails back till your far enough away to be out of sight, sound, and scent stream, but no firther... As close as possible. Make your set up there. Try to determine the best time to hunt that spot. Ask yourself when the buck beds there? Rut? for a nearby foodsource? when is that food prime? If its tore up with rubs, might be pre-rut? What wind is he bedding there on? Then go out and find 20 more spots like that so your not over hunting it, or hunting it at the wrong time... If your serious about hunting this way, it takes effort and time to get real good at it... Check out the deer video's on my youtube page (in my signature)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”