#1 Goal When Winter/Spring Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunterstoots34

#1 Goal When Winter/Spring Scouting

Unread postby hunterstoots34 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:46 am

I think we can all agree that the beast style of hunting places a very high emphasis on scouting during winter and spring when trying to search for new spots. My question is what rank of importance are you guys placing on finding buck bedding? Is it very important because the deer will likely be in the same general area in the winter as they were in the fall or the complete opposite? How much does finding a bed in February, March, or April really tell you about where a buck is spending time in October, November, December? I understand if you find rut sign (scrapes, rubs, etc..) then there’s a good chance the bucks will be back in the same location during the rut the next season. I’m only 19 and I’m pretty new to all this I’m just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

Dewey

Re: #1 Goal When Winter/Spring Scouting

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:28 am

I’m looking for primary beds that are used year round. When you find one you will know it. Worn to the ground, super secure from all directions, good for multiple wind directions and at least one great escape route. Over the years I have found my best primary beds during winter scouting. No easier time to backtrack mature bucks to their favorite beds. Guys think bucks will bed right by winter food sources but I track them often at least a mile sometimes much more back and forth to preferred secure bedding. Those same beds will hold multiple bucks in the early season. Security is where it’s at above everything.
mrbengel22

Unread postby mrbengel22 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:58 am

I place it #1 with a close second being scrapes near doe bedding. I hunt in PA so with winter and spring scouting all of the foliage is off. Something I tell myself is if it looks thick, nasty and safe with foliage down it will be even nastier in Spring and Summer, but this should give a good indication of how safe it will feel to them during Fall. I have read a lot of people on here say that good bedding is selected for a bunch of reasons (Wind direction, visibility, little human intrusion) and if it meets all of those requirements it should be good all year round on specific wind directions. Like Dewey is saying cover and safety are a priority everyday for them so if they have a good bedding location they are going to use it when necessary. Dan also talks about just knowing the good buck beds in an area is useful because if you see or hear of a good buck in the area you will have an idea where to go hunt to get after him.
hunterstoots34

Unread postby hunterstoots34 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Dewey wrote:I’m looking for primary beds that are used year round. When you find one you will know it. Worn to the ground, super secure from all directions, good for multiple wind directions and at least one great escape route. Over the years I have found my best primary beds during winter scouting. No easier time to backtrack mature bucks to their favorite beds. Guys think bucks will bed right by winter food sources but I track them often at least a mile sometimes much more back and forth to preferred secure bedding. Those same beds will hold multiple bucks in the early season. Security is where it’s at above everything.

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the response I appreciate it!
hunterstoots34

Unread postby hunterstoots34 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:15 pm

mrbengel22 wrote:I place it #1 with a close second being scrapes near doe bedding. I hunt in PA so with winter and spring scouting all of the foliage is off. Something I tell myself is if it looks thick, nasty and safe with foliage down it will be even nastier in Spring and Summer, but this should give a good indication of how safe it will feel to them during Fall. I have read a lot of people on here say that good bedding is selected for a bunch of reasons (Wind direction, visibility, little human intrusion) and if it meets all of those requirements it should be good all year round on specific wind directions. Like Dewey is saying cover and safety are a priority everyday for them so if they have a good bedding location they are going to use it when necessary. Dan also talks about just knowing the good buck beds in an area is useful because if you see or hear of a good buck in the area you will have an idea where to go hunt to get after him.

I’m from PA actually and can definitely see what you mean when it comes to paying attention to what cover looks in the Winter because it will likely look somewhat similar come fall. Thanks for the response I appreciate it.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:44 pm

I’ll agree that it’s easier to find the super thick spots in winter, and easier to speed scout and breeze through the open stuff that is unlikely to hold anything good. For me so far, it’s been more about crossing areas off the list and not wasting time on the poor to marginal stuff. If it’s thick during winter, it’s going to be thick all year round. Now you will definitely miss some of the situational and satellite bedding that might be worth a sit during the correct time of year, and that’s what preseason and in-season scouting will have to tell you. I don’t have 20 primary bedding areas and might not ever, but I’ll rank what I have based on security cover, food sources, hunter pressure, etc and try to keep adding more spots to the list.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”