deer bedding and party balloons

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Bulldog27

Re: deer bedding and party balloons

Unread postby Bulldog27 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:19 am

So I have found two balloons within 200 yards of each other.
I have not found any bedding in the area of either, o have seen one good buck on the hoof IVO on of the balloons.
Am I missing the bedding? I feel like I know what I’m looking for but maybe not. The balloons are both on high dobs (the hunting area is a low river bottom prom to flooding).
What am I doing wrong?

Sincerely,
Frustrated

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 am

Bulldog27 wrote:So I have found two balloons within 200 yards of each other.
I have not found any bedding in the area of either, o have seen one good buck on the hoof IVO on of the balloons.
Am I missing the bedding? I feel like I know what I’m looking for but maybe not. The balloons are both on high dobs (the hunting area is a low river bottom prom to flooding).
What am I doing wrong?

Sincerely,
Frustrated

Probably not doing anything wrong. There are no rules, just observations.
Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt
Bulldog27

Unread postby Bulldog27 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:23 pm

I’m just nit sure why in not finding bedding.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:13 pm

Found a party balloon while scouting today but this guy already took the area over. Figured I better give him some space and moved on. :shifty:

Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:12 pm

Found a balloon today in a decent bedding area. Had a couple thigh to chest high rubs and a bunch of old scrapes around. Probably 10 good beds spread out over 3 different areas. I didn't walk the one point all the way down didn't have my knee boots with me. Stupid thick didn't feel like getting wet before work. Pretty close to parking lot. No new hunter sign that I could find. One old ladder stand that looked like it hadn't been used in years. I woke up early from a phone call said screw it went for a walk had 2 hours to burn before I had to head to work. It was a spot I kept driving by and looking at thinking I should go walk it. Glad I did now. Picked out 3 stand locations. Hope the beast stand is up to the challenge one is a serious fat chick setup. 3 inch birch tree nestled in with some small pines. Hardly any trees over 3 inches in this spot. Might be able to pull off a ground setup also. Hopefully not too windy the day I sit it.
PA60

Unread postby PA60 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:43 am

Interesting topic. I found a balloon yesterday in an area many of you have described. A transition area between woods and swamp. Will have to keep my eyes open in the future.
“From the point of ignition, to the final drive, the point of the journey is not to arrive.”
Jimmy wallhanger

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:49 am

Found one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”